Mosin Nagant

28-30 had a tighter barrel.
Basically .308.
.311 is the ”standard.”

Chamber was modifier for captured ammo and the D166 bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

After running unmodified military rifle matches at my range every week for over 18 years with about 20 shooters a match , I can say a Russian Mosin is not in the top half of the worlds military rifles for accuracy . They were also slow in any speed matches . That gave me a field of about 20,000 examples to compare . Target shot at 75 yards do not prove much for several reasons . After years of testing loads I have found about 75 yards is where bullets start to have problems if it is a bad load , they can do ok at 75 but really bad at 100 yards . Some of the 75 yard target with the boattail bullets show tipping just beginning to start , that is why there are flyers . By 100 yards it would become very bad . With many Mosins having grooves of .312 to .316 , a boatail can ne a poor choice .Also any MOA statement means nothing as it is not relevant since bullets do NOT travel in a linear path . Anyone with shooting experience and knowledge of bullet fight path would know this . So a 3.77 inch 75 yard target is about 4x worse than what it would take to win one of our 100 yard matches . Also putting cork in a rifle is not a good idea as it causes more vibrations , you want to dampen them . That is why car makers use rubber isolators as motor mounts , it lets the motor vibrate free from the car body . A race car uses solid mounts and the motor itself is much smoother . A rifle group with be 3x as large at 100 as 50 and at 200 as 100 , so MOA does not mean anything . National benchrest shooters can do no better at matches .

Ernie, do you not know how accuracy and precision work?

Good lord, man. I can't help but think you have a hard on for anyone who disagrees with you.

You remind me of someone from the past. Do you own a wheelbarrow by chance?

Lets see , I was ranked 42nd in the US in National Benchrest shooting my last year of that . I am a custom gunsmith and run a ballistics lab , I do not cut out cork for rifles though . I developed the .460 S&W , the 350 Win Legend and built AR-15's for it 4 years ago . It is not so much that I disagree with you , it is that you are a rank beginner in your knowledge and I am trying to explain shooting to you . Please explain what part of my post you do not understand .

I do not cut out cork for rifles though
Good for you.

The Finns did and had good results with it, as have many people who have tried it. The Soviets didn't use cork, they used felt when prepping the Mosin Nagant for competition, and even on some Sniper rifles, but in the same place, for the same purpose. Again, people who have done it, myself included, have had good results from doing so.

yevfeltwrap.jpg

But hey, believe what you want. Thanks for bumping a year old thread to tell us the Finns and Soviets didn't know what they were doing.

Lets see , I was ranked 42nd in the US in National Benchrest shooting my last year of that.

Maybe you can shoot. I dunno. You need to cite references to back up your claims.

I am a custom gunsmith and run a ballistics lab,

What shop? What lab? References please.

I do not cut out cork for rifles though.

Your prerogative. It works to center the barrel in the channel and tones down the harmonics in lighter barrels. Pressure bedding the barrel is a thing, and cork works well when you do not want to alter the rifle. It's not my first choice for sporting rifles, but for milsurp, it's works well.

I developed the .460 S&W,

References? I thought it was developed in-house at S&W, and based on the .454. Even if you did this, it's not a huge step to stretch the cartridge a bit more. Wildcatters have done this type of thing for years.

the 350 Win Legend

... and again, references?

and built AR-15's for it 4 years ago.

A lot of people build ARs for a lot of different rounds. I'm glad you were able to make a living.

It is not so much that I disagree with you , it is that you are a rank beginner in your knowledge

Opinions vary.

and I am trying to explain shooting to you.

Nobody asked you to.

Please explain what part of my post you do not understand.

Mostly the parts where you purport to be an expert, but make claims you don't back up with references and/or fall on their figurative faces logically.

Listen: For the purposes of this thread here, you're claiming that establishing known pressure points on the receiver via the shims, tightening contact with the recoil lug, and centering the barrel in its channel while establishing a known pressure point that also happens to dampen the harmonics, will not have positive effects on precision.

Problem is, it demonstrably does improve precision, and has since at least the 1930s when the Russians an Finns both did very similar bedding work on their Mosins.

Look, man: I have no doubt that your heart's in the right place. However, we cannot just take your word for it, without references to back it up, that everything we've learned is wrong. You cannot function as an authority because you've made claims you cannot or will not back up. If perhaps you can verify your claims as to who you are an what you've done, we will maybe take you a bit more seriously. However, as it stands, you sound like you have a tactical assault wheelbarrow and might just be named "John Melvin Davis."

That's how you come across.

We should discuss 1911 pistols next. I'm half tempted to do that.

Josh

Last edited:
As far as references , I Told you of all the original German military documents . Go to Germany and spend days in some of their libraries and collect original Military manuals as my friend has . You just proved the articles you post were wrong in many points . I never said bedding a rifle did not work , just that I [ nor any other comp shooter that I know of ] uses cork . I do not need to make a living with gunsmithing , I do not charge as I only do work for friends . I never said anything about tactical anything ?? The original 460 S&W was based off of the 7.5mm Swiss as it was first designed for a bolt rifle . S&W did not want moon clips so THEY added the small rim . Fail logically ?? All your claims on 88's fail because there is not a rifle that matches them . All I said is that the UN-modified Mosin shot for years in our matches shoot about 4x better than what you are doing with your mods . Or do you think bullets travel in a linear path ? So if my rifle shoots a .0 MOA at 5 yards the MOA at 500 is still 0 ? I do not claim to be an expert on 1911's and only need a good handgun with a good trigger to shoot as well as that gun can . I do not shoot handguns well enough to gain from any other mods .

OP is over a year old.
Nobody's ever going to call a Mosin Nagant a BR rifle or a target rifle though. Thought I saw 'em for way less than $100. Different importing rules up here. Mosin's were here long before they were Stateside.

Back