Mosin Nagant!?

trigger pull is standard for a service rifle,

:) Respectfully, do you really think so? The trigger 'weight' was not an issue for me; rather it was the long, less than smooth pull that felt like it was hinged above the receiver. This was on a documented sniper model

My frame of reference may be skewed for service rifles; I have only ever fired a USGI M1903A3, M1 rifle, M1A1 carbine and M1 carbine, an original Springfield trapdoor, and a Wehrmacht K98 in terms of service rifles. Maybe I am just used to smooth USGI triggers on service rifles? All kidding aside, I find the trigger on a rifle like the 03A3 or M1 rifle or carbine to be quite smooth and crisp. Comparing that the the Moisin...I was appalled by the Soviet rifle's trigger, all the more so because it was a 1891/30 PU with papers.

The Mosin is a darn good rifle for the money....where else can you get a high power rifle with all the history for about 100 bucks that are in decent to very good shape!

My sons all have them and I bought my first one last week end and found a real nice Izhevsk arsonal with a date of 1905r.

all the ones I have seen have been rearsonaled after WW2 and they are in nice shape with good barrels.

Just check to make sure the barrel has not been counter boarded.

Also if you are going to buy localy from your LGS check them all and look for any that have the SA marking on them. Thats a finnish rifle and a little bettor quality or if you see one that has a Remington or Westinghouse on it grab it...there getting very hard to find and once inawhile one will fall through the cracks and you get a good collectors item!

If the trigger bothers you install a Huber trigger or there are directions on the net on how to smooth & lighten the trigger. I have a Huber on my 91/30 & it's crisp as can be. I reworked my M44 myself per internet directions and it's smooth as can be. And no, you won't get that how to info from me. It's out there; search for it.

I bought one for me and one for my Dad. We both really like them.

I would say the recoil is somewhat compared to a 12 ga. But, it is different. I feel a 12ga is more of a hard push, whereas the Mosin is a sharp slam.
It is definitely managable, get a nice recoil pad and it makes it pretty fun to shoot.

Regarding the cosmoline.....
Get a big pot that you are not going to use again and get water boiling fast and drop all your small parts in there. I put em on a metal coat hanger to make it easy to get out. Simple Green from Wal-Mart or wherever also works good to get the cosmoline off. I like it because it's not as nasty as brake cleaner but still does a good job. Nice coat of synthetic motor oil on it after and you are good to go. Just be sure to have a ton of rags before starting the cleaning.

Some guys use a shotgun brush for the chamber. I just used cotton swabs and a rag on my pinky and got the cosmoline out of the chamber. No more dreaded sticky bolt.

Be sure to watch a YouTube video on how to disassemble the bolt so you can boil, oil & put it back together.

Last edited:
Parkerd, the only problem with ordering from J&G is that you are going to get what the stock boy pulls from the shelf without regard to bore condition or anything else. Personally, I would look around and pay a little more for a rifle that I could examine in person and, in particular, check the bore of.

When you order from J&G, it's a crap shoot.

Mosin Nagants are very fun extremely cheap rifles. Recoil, to me, is similar to a 30.06 but will probably be tamer in a more ergonomic aftermarket stock. Since you are sportarizing it here are a few suggestions I would recommend looking into.

• A good aftermarket recoil pad. (A Pachmayr premium pad for example)
  • A Timney Trigger (These are awesome!!! Best triggers I have ever found)
  • A possible barrel porting (I think it may help with the kick but will increase sound)
  • A good sling cause the rifle barrel and receiver/action is heavy even without the wooden stock (probably due to the long barrel)
  • Surplus stripper clips (The aftermarket Chinese ones are junk)

Good luck and have fun these rifles are very neat and easy to customize (as far as war rifles go)

Oh and one more thing Silver Bear (sold and J & G) makes 203gr (or similar grain) SP 7.62x54r rounds that work very well for hunting.

Ordering from JG Sales might be a crapshoot but the last 91/30 I got from them was a 1929 hex all matching numbers and its a great shooter. I dont think they intentionally send out crap. You can also pay extra for a premium pick. I used mine after halloween to shoot pumpkins. They were set up at 75yrds. and we were exploding them with every shot. My son is 13 and he was even shooting the mosin and had a blast.

Parkerd, look around your local gun shop or a cabelas if you have one near you for a Mosin. I think the last ad I saw for cabelas they wanted $99 for the rifle and the accessories. My local gun shop has been selling Mosin 91/30's for $99 for a while now, they has several crates of them on the shop floor and allow buys to look through them. I bought my second 91/30 last summer from the local shop, I went through about 15 or 20 gun before i found the one i wanted. Still thinking about buying another next time I go into my local gun shop...

Thanks guys! Will probably order this from them soon! Along with the monte carlo stock make it look like more of sporterized rifle.. I was really worried about the recoil but now that I know it's less than a 12GA I really wanna buy it!!!

vomit-boy01-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon-000652-large.gif

Just leave it alone, and enjoy shooting it! The recoil is nothing to worry about as long as you know how to hold the rifle properly, and concentrate on doing so. Get sloppy, get bruised!

What do you have when you put $300 worth of parts on a $100 rifle?
Answer: A $100 rifle with $300 worth of unnecessary Parts.

If you want a sporting rifle, similar in power, spend the $400 on a used 30-06.

91-30 Tula Hex
91-30 Ishy round
91-59 Ishy
M44 Hungarian

Generally, if you luck out, they're great shooters in the 2-3 MOA range with cheap ammo and most people are tickled to go have fun with these on the cheap. Then you can occasionally get really lucky and find one that really shines--that would be the one I spent years finding. It's a 1938 Izzy 91/30 that holds clover-leaf groups all day long with my reloads.

What do you have when you put $300 worth of parts on a $100 rifle?
Answer: A $100 rifle with $300 worth of unnecessary Parts.
If you want a sporting rifle, similar in power, spend the $400 on a used 30-06.

I disagree, as long as you can do the required accurizing yourself, without needing to pay a gunsmith, it can be a fun project that will produce a stick that may not be quite as accurate as a new Savage or Rem 700, but still a good shooter.

We have the factory rifles, Savages, 700's, and AR-15's...but my Mosin is my favorite to shoot because I built it. And when it turns in 3" groups at 300 yards, and consistently hits an 8" gong at 600 yards- that's fun, and besides, it gets a lot of positive comments at the range because it's different than everything else on the line.

Sometimes, it's fun just to have something different...

IMAG0583.jpg

Same here. My other Mosins (M38/M44) are original but I had fun playing with this one. On a good day with a "good" batch of surplus, this is a 1 MOA gun. Like the above poster said, fun being different. I have been at the range with some high dollar guns and this one gets more interest than some of my other stuff.

Kind of like a strange street rod at a car show.

DSCN8563.JPG

as long as you can do the required accurizing yourself, without needing to pay a gunsmith,

Exactly. I was referring to just throwing it in an aftermarket stock, cutting the bolt handle off, and screwing a new one on, and using some sort of aftermarket "make do" scope mount.
Not doing a fine build that results in a personalized, quality looking rifle like your's and tempest 455's

Been that route with Mausers many years ago. I still have a 6MM Remington heavy barreled custome varment rifle that started out as a $30 M98 action. That's what we did back then!

Thanks guys! My grandfather owns a pawnshop and he has a sportirized (I don't think that's spelled right) Model will prolly end up just seeing if I like it or not and then purchase of I do!

Thanks,Parker

Ordering from JG Sales might be a crapshoot but the last 91/30 I got from them was a 1929 hex all matching numbers and its a great shooter. I don't think they intentionally send out crap. You can also pay extra for a premium pick.

No, they don't intentionally send out crap. The pull a box off the shelf and that's what you get. In the case of "hand select," they pull three (or maybe five) off the shelf and give you best of the three (or five).

If you show up in person, they will show you three guns; After that, you pay an extra $10.00

Back