Mosin Nagant???????

brotus2

Bud's Gun Shop has them for sale for $92.00 delivered. Condidtion is excellent, factory new. It is 7.62X54R.

1. Are these any good?
2. Is ammo available?
3. Is this a good price?

I would only use this at the range. Thanks.

They're extremely rugged, durable, reliable rifles. Definitely made to last and to be fired a lot. Assuming you get one with a good bore, they can be pretty accurate too. They are probably the best value out there for a military surplus bolt action. The ammo is widely available, both new production and military surplus is sold all over the place online, in just about any gun store, and even some run of the mill sporting goods stores too (like Big 5 or Dick's) will carry new production 7.62x54R. Be aware the military surplus 7.62x54 ammo is corrosive and requires a little extra effort for cleaning, which must be done relatively promptly), and it's also very likely least expensive round in its class (compared to say 8mm Mauser, 30-06, .308, etc), you can get a tin of 440 rounds for under $90.

1. Are these any good?
Never bought one from there. But usually, they (refurbs) are considered rugged reliable, semi accurate rifles. Good for paper punch plinking and hunting.

2. Is ammo available?
Yes...high dollar, brass cased, reloadable soft point hunting rounds and cheap milsurp spam can, corrosive (my favorite...Russian 147g, steel cased / $93per 440 can delivered).

3. Is this a good price?
With no shipping or FFL/C&R fee yes.

I would say it is always good to inspect in hand, but when a piece is covered with cosmolene...that's not easy.

I'e heard great things but as DE Shooter said the ammo is corrosive and you should clean your gun after every time you shoot. For most people thats not a problem but something to think about. I always clean my gun after returning from the range. I would buy one if i had the money.

1. Yes. They are good plinking guns and are a lot of fun to shoot.
2. Yes. Both mil-surplus and commerical loadings.
3. It's a fair price. I think I paid $79 for mine but $92 isn't bad. Besides, the price will likely continue to rise on them to a certain point anyway. I bought a Russian SKS years ago for $89 and they now sell between $300 and $400.

a couple of you seem to dislike them?

are they generally accurate? i might purchase one for christmas and would use it mostly for fun at the range, iron sights out to 100 yards.
i guess, assuming i take proper care of it and clean it often, will the accuracy be spot on?

Accuracy varies. I only have 6. One will only hit the barn if you are in it and the barn is not to big. The others give very good hunting accuracy. At the range, they are a lot of fun to shoot. With their roar, flame and kick with the surplus ammo, you get a lot of looks and comments.

I've bought a bunch of ammo at various gun shows. A quick google showed that Cheaperthandirt.com has a can of 440 rounds for $94.97.

Ammo isn't hard to find.

Most of the people that say negative things about them are those who have no experience with them.

Good thing I am not "most' people...but then again they are absolutely great $69 guns.

S2719371001-2.jpg

M443.jpg

I own one and love it. If you have the opportunity to check out a bunch of them in person before you buy one, do it. I got mine at a gun show where there were probably 25 or more on sale. I walked around to all the tables and looked at the outside and the bore on all of them. I picked the best looking bore and while this thing isn't a tack driver, at 25yrds from a standing position and my crappy eyes I can keep 3 shot groups to abour 3 inches and I'm not a very good shot. check out www.7.62x54r.net but just don't talk about modifying it on that forum.

i own three of them. one is an outstanding shooter the other two are good shooters. all three will hit the barn door. they are fun and inexpensive, and ammo is dirt cheap. you can look around and find some really good ammo sometimes. I bought some S&B a few years back that was loaded with 174gr.sierra bullets and that stuff was very accurate. i havent seen anymore S&B loaded with those bullets since. 92 dollars delivered is a good price, i say get it, you will be glad you did.

accuracy is not as bad as you might think just look at the bore on a few examples and pick the best looking one try to find one that's not counter bored if you can and buy it none of mine with the exception of a counter bored m38 that someone gave me that I no longer own has ever shot worse than 4 inches at 100yds I currently own 4 a beautiful Ukrianian refurberd 1939 Tula m91/30 it shoot's about 2in at 100yds barrel slugs .3125 a unissued Russian 1946 Ishtvek m44 when I got it for Christmas I swore the thing had to be brand new the barrel was like a mirror and it didn't have a scratch on it shoots about 2 and a half inches at 100yds barrel slugs .312 a Russian 1941 Tula m91/30 shoot's about 4 in at 100yds bore is large slugging at .31375 and finally a Russian 1926 Tula ex dragoon shoot's inch and 3/4 groups at 100yds bore slugs at a perfect .311 these are just the ones I currently own I've owned many more. ammo is about as cheap as your gonna find around 22cents a round give or take one or two cents its corrosive but nothing that Windex wont fix and if you reload the its one of the easiest rifle cartridges that I've ever loaded as I do hunt with mine and load my own hunting ammo the round itself is the equal of the 30-06 spring field in power 150 grainers hand loaded can do 2900 to 3000 fps milsurp is usually a 147 grain bullet at about 2880 fps out of a 91/30 barrel. 2650 out of a carbine.

Last edited:
It is a reliable and rugged firearm. Although not a benchrest shooter, they will usually give you a decent group at 100 yds. Keep in mind that these were old military rifles and manufactured by the millions. I have yet to run across one that wasnt accurate enough for hunting purposes. Definately not a beauty queen, but something that will give you a lot of pleasure poking holes in paper or busting the brush for that deer or elk.

There are some aftermarket items available to spruce the old girl up or to improve the handling. Rubber butt pads, synthetic stocks, triggerman triggers or timeny, scout scope mounts or bridge scope mounts, and of course bent bolt handles from boltman just to name a few.

In this old mans opinion, they are definately a good buy.

i have a lot of fun shooting mine. bought on sale for $100 at a local Big5 store. have bought ammo locally, and thru cheaperthandirt and ammunitiontogo. warning - had serious extraction problems using new russian tula ammo, the brown bear brand has been cheap and reliable, have yet to try some supposedly non-corrosive surplus.

I own one. A few tips to help keep you from having to learn the hard way.
1. Get all of the cosmoline off of it before shooting it. Get a can of brake parts cleaner it works very well. (Take it off of the stock to do this. Also do it outside.)
2. Clean the chamber very well. A bore brush, and mop for a 12 or 20 guage shotgun will do very well for this.
3. A slip on recoil pad will make it a lot more pleasurable to shoot. I bought a Buttler Creek one at Acadamy for less than $20, and it was worth every penny.
4. If shooting the corrosive ammo take a bottle of water and some soap to the range. As soon as you are done shooting run a soap soaked patch through the bore. Rinse with the water. I usualy do this twice. (Note I use extremely hot water that I keep in a Thermos.) I run a few dry patches till they come out dry then clean, and oil normaly. It takes about 15 minutes of so for me not hurrying.
5 There are tons of videos on youtube. The ones by Iraqveteran8888 are very good. He knows his stuff on theese rifles well.

Back