Mosin Nagant: Quick review and first impressions

JRI, I guess it is a matter of perspective. I thought it had a decent kick, but I admit that I probably took a few liberties with the words I used in the review to make it interesting.

I sincerly apologize,Yes,recoil is very subjective.
I will admit,the Mosins have a noticeable recoil,but they are a ball to shoot!
I'm a mil surp junkie,I started off with 1 Mosin several years ago,and now I own 13 different mil surp rifles (all bolt action),and handload for them all.

Just be forewarned,mil surps are addicitive,you can't stop at 1!:D

Anyhow,I apologize again if I came across a bit harsh.
As far as the worst recoil I've experienced,have been from a 460 Weatherby Mag,and 600 Nitro Express.

Jeff

well i love mine i have work the action so much it is sooth. Also completely take the action apart and take all of the grease out and replace it with new rem oil. it works

some of the recoil aspect is the ammo....lite ball 146gr Vs heavy ball 180gr.

lite ball in a M44 or 91/30 is ok....heavy ball in a M38 isnt fun off the bench.

Sounds nice. I think I might get one of those later. Until then, it's all airsoft and leather gloves.

Reason: College isn't gun friendly. I'm not even sure if I can bring airsoft.

Last edited:
Great thread

I just bought my very first rifle, a Mosin Nagant made in Tula. I haven't made it to the range yet but I'm looking forward to comparing my experience with the OP's review. I wasn't sure about the merits or ills of dry firing so I picked up a couple snap clips and have been working both the bolt and the trigger pretty regularly. The only thing I'm a little concerned about it that the butt seems a little bit too long to fit into my shoulder as well as I would like it but I don't know how that will affect the shooting. I appreciate everyone's comments here, they are very helpful.

CWT

I love shooting my M44 (aside from the angry Soviet mule thing, of course :D). It's accurate enough to become a primary hunting rifle. I keep saying I'm going to mount a scope on it (danged presbyopia.. look it up) but haven't done it yet. This would limit my hunting to about 100-150 yds MAX, but I am confident anything I pulled the trigger on would drop right there. As stated before, this is just a fat, rimmed '06.

The only problem I've had with mine is occasional feeding issues, with the cartridge being stripped off the top of the magazine tipping downward, jamming the tip against the front of the mag... effectively stopping all loading procedures.
I think there is a fix for this posted somewhere on the web, but I haven't looked it up, yet.
This would be the only reason I could think of that this wouldn't make a pretty effective battle rifle. Quite a few steps above pitchfork, in my opinion. ;)

Coyote WT said:
The only thing I'm a little concerned about it that the butt seems a little bit too long to fit into my shoulder as well as I would like it but I don't know how that will affect the shooting.

I'm a bit surprised by that. I always found the length of pull on Mosins to be a bit short for me. I guess they had to work with the heavy and thick Russian uniforms worn. Maybe its just my gorilla arms making things awkward...

I put a longer butt-pad on to lengthen the LoP on mine. It really improved my shooting, making it more comfortable to hold and therefore easier to hold more steady. If yours isn't quite right, it may be causing more felt recoil for you, but I'm surprised you'd want to shorten it.

Help!

Im 22 years old and i have found a 1938 Mosin Nagant M91. I am impressed with this rifle and after market parts. When putting on a rail system, i lost the pin that holds the slider iron sight. anyone help me find the dimensions?

I have no idea how Russian conscripts held off the Nazi's with these crude things.

Simple: They stood a better chance facing the German Army with those rugged rifles than facing the NKVD or SS armed with nothing save pleas for mercy.

The Mosin was the perfect rifle for the troops it was issued to: rugged, powerful and simple to operate and maintain.

They don't seem too crude compared to their counter parts of the era...maybe a little ... but their conditions are excellent compared to other mil-surps I see on the shelves. And for 80 bucks at that.

Just bought my first Mosin, a 1942 Izhevsk 91/30. Haven't got the chance to shoot it yet but got pretty intimate with it when cleaning off the cosmoline. I think its a great rifle, a lot of history behind it, plus its just awesome.

I have numerous Mosins. When I compare it to the K98 Mauser I have, sure it seems crude. But when you look down the sights you will see a very defined sight picture compared to the Mauser. A simple rifle for the masses.

Dabsond,
I think comparing the MN 91/30 to a K98 Mauser is like comparing a BMW motorcycle to a Russian made Ural. Both gets you where you want but when you look at the parts individually, there is really no comparison.

The bolt, trigger, receiver, barrel, chamber, etc. of the MN is not in the same league as the Mauser.

I have to say that if I had to choose between the MN or the Mauser to defend my life, the MN would not be my preference unless I was in trench warfare with no bullets left...the length of the MN would have the advantage.

I would recommend a thick shoulder pad or thicker clothing before shooting the Mosin Nagant. If you just have a thin shirt and no pad, it will do a number on your shoulder. I still have a purple spot on my shoulder after 3 days (the last time I shot it.) I fired 100 rounds.

I am currently refinishing the stock of my Mosin Nagant. The finish was a little rough in some spots, so I figured it was time for the old girl to get a fresh makeover. It's been a great learning experience for me, and a bit of fun. I should be done with it sometime this week, depending on how busy I am at work.

Last edited:
Back