Mosin Nagant M91/30 ....hunting?

You should be safe using a Mosin for hunting in Pennsylvania. I wouldn't use one where there is a high wild fire potential. They have a muzzle blast the size of a beach ball...

You should be safe using a Mosin for hunting in Pennsylvania. I wouldn't use one where there is a high wild fire potential. They have a muzzle blast the size of a beach ball...

Is there anything that can be done to reduce that? I thought I remembered seeing a gun once think it was a shotgun) that had some type of attachment to the end and was told it was to reduce muzzle flash. Anything like that available or should I just go with it and avoid shooting dry things?

It really depends on what kind of Mosin-Nagant variant you're using and what kind of ammo. The m91 and m91/30 variants have a longer barrel, and shouldn't have excessive muzzle flash, especially with modern ammo from S&B or Wolf Gold, etc. The m38 and m44 variants are carbines, and as fatwhiteboy noted, do have a magnificent fireball that accompanies each shot, as well as head-turning report. That said, I can't say I have ever heard of anyone igniting anything with the muzzle-flash of their Mosin. I have a m44, and I wouldn't hesitate to take it deer hunting with the right soft-point ammo - it's a nice gun, especially after being recrowned and bedded. The nice thing about those fixes is, you can do it and not alter the appearance of the original rifle. :D

a lot of states have laws against hunting with FMJ. hollow points are usually for people hunting, FMJ is for paper hunting, soft point is for critter hunting. 762x45R will probably be difficult to find in anything but russian ball surplus ammo but would do the trick anyway if it's not illegal to do so. the mosin will pretty much bag anything in north america as long as you know the limitations of the round.

mosin

I shot a deer a few years ago with my Mosin M44. Ammo was 203 gr Silver bear soft points. The lead is actually alloyed with some type of ferrous metal, it will stick to a magnet. Any way, the shot was at about 75 yards, offhand. I didnot have the bayonet extended so the shot was a little left of POA. hit just behind last rib. Instant knockdown. When I arrived at the deer there was a hole large enough to put an arm trough ad not get bloody. There was debris and such 20 ft up in the tree. I think that hiting the very "wet" guts actually made the bullet explode rathe than expand. The rifle is definitly capable, almost tothe point of overkill. I would look at some Wincheter Metric or S&B.

I am with "Ideal Tool". I also used one as my first gun and had to buy Norma. It really shot good, but the safety was worse than on a .303 Brit. I would think by now that Cabela's should have all kinds of less expensive ammo that shoots good enough for some one starting out hunting.

Back