Mosin Nagant M38 Carbine VS M44

The exception are Chinese rifles; AFAIK these have never been officially imported in large quantities like the Eastern European guns. Most of the Chinese guns I've seen were brought into the USA one at a time after being taken from the hands of a dead VC.
I remember an importer brought a mess of Chinese Type 53s a few years ago and was selling them off for around $40/ea. From the reviews I read about them, a few got decent shooters and the rest were about what you'd expect from a $40 rifle.;)

I like the 38 better, it feels handier.
I haven't seen a 44 or 38 with a decent bore for sale in a few years. Last 44 I saw was shot out bad and had a $150 sticker.

M38 for sure. My collection is a WW2 collection, and very few M44s actually saw service in the war. I would consider a '43 date coded M44 if I ran across one.

Look on Gunbroker, Simpsons Ltd in Illinois, and various private collections such as on SurplusRifle Forums. I've had a Mosin Nagant 91/30 in the past and sold it because it's such a crude and generally uninteresting rifle. They also cost far too much these days especially since ammo is drying up.

In this area of Eastern and Central PA - MN 91/30s are still selling for $110 down to $89 at the gun shows. Ammo is very plentiful here also and is still the cheapest center fire rifle cartridge.

Having owned a M38, and a M44..... I found a M38 firing heavy ball from the bench is about as much UNfun as a milsurp can be. It will loosen your fillings lol. While the M44 weighs as much as a full size 91/30
and is still reletively tame with the same ammunition. 1.1 pounds makes a difference. Though cute, the M38 got voted off the island. I like my East German issued izzy 44 :)

Most of my M38s have the bore counterbored. None of my M44s do.
On my M44s I've found that the front sight needs adjusting for windage if it is to be shot without the bayonnet deployed.

Back