Mosin Nagant keyholing

My Mosin has always been minute-of-head-sized-rock accurate.
On paper, with some motivation and patience, it showed reasonable "hunting" accuracy with handloads.

But, even being post-war production and with a pretty good looking bore, it slugged at 0.315".
Standard bullet diameters cannot be expected to shoot perfectly.
...But, then again, it also has a 0.304" bore diameter. As such, there's plenty of depth for engraving bullets and even .308" projectiles are as accurate as anything else.

Key-holing Mosin... I'd suspect a bad counter-bore.
Just one kind of ammo... Don't use that ammo.

I'm gonna slug the bore within the next few weeks.

No I haven't gotten back to the range yet, probably won't be until next weekend.

So far it's just been with the Tula. The only other thing I've shot through it is Magtech brass cased, soft point ammo. I think it's like 175gr. Or maybe it's PPU. I'll be buying some other ammo from my LGS to see if anything else looks funky.

Not to my knowledge, how would I check?

Pic of all the ammo fired through this gun:
Mosin%20Ammo_zps5u0q6tu2.jpg

(can everyone see the photo here on site?)

The picture shows the only ammo I've fired through my Mosin. The Tula ammo on the left is the stuff in question. The PPU 150gr SP have always worked fine. The Bear was so long ago that I have no idea what it did. Not to mention I never really put the gun to paper back then.

Measured the Tula and it's .309", however that was whatever was sticking out of the case, so it if was larger in the case, I don't know. I don't have any more PPU to measure right now, so I'll try to get some later this week. I don't have a scale to measure the Tula weight with either.

You make damn sure the gun's de-loaded & remove the bolt. Look down the muzzle.
If you see rifling all the way to the crown, it's not counterbored.
If you see no rifling for the first couple inches or so, it is.
Denis

Ah then it is not counterbored. Saw it last time I cleaned it.

For CMP rifle matches, does a bedding job disqualify it? I thought I saw some cracking inside the stock and after some research I found that is sometimes caused by the recoil lug not being extremely tight against the recoil cross bolt and my thought was to put some epoxy into it to assure it doesn't continue cracking. Again I'd have to double check next time I go to take it apart.

Back