Mosin-Nagant accuracy - a start

Latitude sometimes matters, too.

Coriolis Effect, but only at long-range. Lessens as one moves in latitude from the poles to the equator, and maximum effect when shooting E-W.

Doesn't affect velocity though, just horizontal trajectory- and it's very subtle, just another external factor.

Vertical Coriolis effect is most when shooting East and West while the horizontal effect is most when shooting North and South. It is greater at the Equator than at the poles.

Coriolis Effect, but only at long-range. Lessens as one moves in latitude from the poles to the equator, and maximum effect when shooting E-W.

Doesn't affect velocity though, just horizontal trajectory- and it's very subtle, just another external factor.

I can't tell any difference all the way out to 50 yards. But I live in Texas.

The only thing you have to correct for around here is heat shimmers and sweat in your eyes.:mad:

I did notice that when shooting east to west the bullet gets there a little faster than when shooting west to east. The east to west shots the earth is rotating toward the bullet and west to east the earth is moving away from the bullet. But you have to shoot past 100 yards to tell the difference.:)

And shooting north to south the bullets will go further because you are shooting downhill. Thats north of the equator by the way.:D

Last edited:
No compensation needed because the earth is Flat, no gravity, and the sun is only 3000 miles away so that's why you have to compensate for the sweat in your eyes. LOL. You'd be surprised the things you can learn on you tube. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I wondered about that flat earth stuff. There might be something to it. Maybe its flat all the way around. And you are wrong about gravity. It exist otherwise we would all float off into space. But we don't because the earth sucks.;)

And lightbulbs don't put out light. They suck dark.:eek:

A blond was standing in Oklahoma and someone asked her "which is farther away? The Moon or Miami?" She said "well duh!, Miami is, you can see the Moon from here".

We may be getting off track here.:D:D:D

Last edited:
I have never owned or shot a MN but as long as the bedding is good, you have good ammo and a barrel that isn't worn out it should shoot as good as any other military rifle depending on what sights are used. For my eyes at 100 yards I would be happy with 2-3" groups with issue open sights.

Love my mosin . . . scout sight mount . . . not so much

Mosin Shooters:
I too had the scout sight. Pretty clever device. But I could never get the thing to stabilize. I'd have it all tightened down, shoot a dozen rounds and it would be loose again. So I gave up and went back to open sights. Modified the front sight for elevation and now do fist sized groups at fifty yards. I suspect the gun can do better then I can make it do. Really enjoy the gun. Feels like I own a piece of history. Mine is Russian (hammer and sythe stamped on it) made in 1934.

Life is good
Prof Young

450 doll hairs?? LOL on a Mosin. I mean I love the rifles like anyone else but I got a good chuckle out of that. I just can't see it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It looks awesome and I'll bet you the worth of one of those, they will sell like hotcakes. Or latkes, whichever sells better. There are an awful lot of mosins and there are a lot of people with money burnin holes in pockets.

Maybe not hotcakes, but I bet that company does well for itself. Would like to know where that mount came from as it appears to be attached to the receiver.

I might buy a second MN for the right money and "sporterize" it. Not really sure yet. It's a little far down on the ol' wishlist. I will say that mine has decent accuracy at 50 yds, but I'm not good enough to shoot it offhand at 100yds. Yet.

Given their location and likely expertise with this rifle I'm hesitant to say "no way", but...

Been done before. Can't remember the name of the co., it was a chassis but wasn't configured for use with AR parts.

Problem with these rifles is that the receivers were made over many decades, in many locations and the dimensional specs vary widely- including the C/C action screw spacing, receiver diameter, and the shape/dimension of the rear of the action/tang area in particular.

In order to work effectively, a chassis system must be a perfect mirror image (like an epoxy bedding job) of the receiver. It won't be, here... so even if it "fits"- when you torque the action screws, it's going to stress/bend the action. I can only see this working if one were to skim bed the chassis- which I do commonly with production stocks and 700/Savage actions.

Besides, it's not inletted for a Timney trigger- so what's the point. No big deal, unless you don't happen to have a Bridgeport at your house.

Back