mosin nagant 91/30 sniper

Mosin Nagant rifles are as accurate as you are if the bore is alright. I have a soviet PU sniper rifle, a soviet PE sniper, a regular soviet 91/30, and two finnish mosins, and every one of them is a better shooter than I am. Russians were killing Germans at hundreds of yards with them 60+ years ago, so I figure you can kill a deer at a couple hundred yards providing you get to know the gun and how it shoots. Get proficiant with it and you won't have any problems, again if the bore is good. That's my opinion anyway.

again the 91/30 is probably not ideal for your first mil surplus
i know the price tag is nice but it is best to learn about the pros and cons and what to look for in a mil surpluse rifle
they are used
not used to hunt USED and can by a pile of crap with a price tag
and the 91 30 has a good chance even if you get j/gs hand select to turn out to be shot out or the rifleing is shine with a huge nick in the crown like my jg hand select 91 30
dont look at thr price tag look at the odds of a good rifle
start with the military reputation for small arms the the ammo used in it and read about the arsenals that worked on that model of rifle
you get what you pay for and some times not even that

ya i decided what ever surplus gun i get it is going to be target dedicated no hunting. what are the pros cons of the mosin. i havent heard allot of bad things but you guys are more knowlageable than me thats why i am on here ha

well pros and cos forget the vidio game call of duty did a horible job with the mossin
the pros for a mossin that i see would be
1.the price
2. the ammo is easier to find then some mil surplus
3. accessibility, they are every where
4. in the future the action isnt al that bad and is easy to rebarrel and sporteize
5. parts arent to bad to buy, stock sights bolt Assembly etc.

the cons
1. you get what you pay for and somtimes can pay alot for a heap of junk if bought on line
2.ammo is very very corrosive you cant let it sit after you shoot it it will pit and rust if not cleaned
3. they are very long and cumbersome
4. most barrels and crowns (the part of muzzle that the bullet exits the barrel) is often nick or pitted and shot out = inaccurate and expensive to fix compared to price of rifle
5. buy the time you get it set up to be any good you would have so much money in it that you could have been better off with a savage and scope combo for the same price and more accurate

the snipers of Stalingrad had upgraded rifles, the actions and barrels were polished for maximum accuracy and the barrels were new also most shots we not any farther than 250yrds it is a city urban warfare through streets
a true mossin nagant sniper is simo hayha look him up
over 500 confirmed kills most over 400 yards open sights thats not including the 200 kills with his assault rifle all in less than 100 days

I fired one last month

Kicks like my Dad's trapdoor Springfield 45-70

I liked the rifle. A lot. But it had the worst trigger I've ever come across. It felt like it was hinged about a foot above the bolt and it was heavy

If $500 is your budget, then I would look into a K31 or a Swedish Mauser M96, M96/38, or M38. The K31 chambered in 7.5x55Swiss already has ammo available that will be hands down the most accurate for it. The Mauser I'm speaking of is chambered in 6.5x55Swede. Both are SCARY accurate and I'd put either one of those against a Mosin any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The Swede is also a MUCH milder recoiling cartridge yet still provides precision like no other.

i was simply pointing out that most people (usually kids between 10 an 18) didnt have an interest in these type of rifles until those games came out i hear a lot of people over my live account that only know what is shown in a video game
just do your home work and talk to the people hand selecting the rifle if you cant talk to the guy dont get it
on all the old surplus guns you can find arsenal marks usually on the bolt barrel stock etc if you are set on a 91 30 read up on what marks mean what some arsenals do a much better job when servicing a firearm also watch the years for the most part later war time rifles tend to be made in a hurry to get them out in the field or made with poor material especially the Russian arms russia was in three wars back to back to back WW1 the winter war and WW2 so the quality in some rifles was less than stellar
early war and prewar metal is usually made stronger and the actions tend to have less slop and all parts fit well towards the end of the war some washer were left out from the factory and in some countries the had a shortage of wood so the had to scab on pieces when they weren't long enough or thick enough

JUST READ AS MUCH AS YOU CAN and don short change your self save and get the best one you can find then brag to your friends:D

ya i liked these guns before i started playing those games and i would still like them regardless. like the war production mosins didnt have the brass around the sling holes. i know of the tula and ishevek arsenals (misspelled that i think). and i know how to idetify the ex snipers but thats about it. know the markings for the arsenals and refurbs. im going to take my time so i make sure i get a nice surplus gun with good bore.

if you do get a hand pick do it your self or talk all the information and identifying marks and where they are ask for a map of the dings in the stock too
most marks are in similar spots on all gun but dings very so you know they actualy looked at the same rifle and ask them to inspect the boar crown and head space most important is when they say shiny boar i get the same results if i cover a swab with abrasive past IT WILL SHINE IT shine means didly squat they need to measure the rifling s not the amount of light they put off they have to be measured not eyeballed and have them run a pic over the crown
if they dont do this it isnt inspected it is simply picked up and sent out
dont settle for junk or bad service try a gun auction site or on this sight is a great way to get a used rifle and i would think most people here would like to see people enjoy shooting sports enough to not rip you off

Build your own sniper..

I found a 1940 Mosin Nagant at a local gun show. I made my own sniper model to amuse and amaze myself. We have a horse farm in the family and I shoot there every summer. I did all the gunsmith work myself with my trusty bench drill press.
I bought the kit off the net and installed a cheap 8-point scope. The results are below if I did the pictures right.

Attachments

• Picture (648 x 486).jpg
    Picture (648 x 486).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Picture 002 (648 x 486).jpg
    Picture 002 (648 x 486).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 63
Back