mosin nagant 91/30 sniper

The accuracy of them really depends on the condition of the bore. The Finnish 39 is the most accurate of the varities but the 91/30 sniper seems to be the most desirable of the bunch from a collectors standpoint, more so for the scope. I personally own every variation except the one you mentioned if you are in fact talking about the model that comes with the scope. The cartridge itself is comparable to the .308 as far as ballistics. Ive had good consistency at 800 yards with the M39 and I'm no professional so I'm sure 1000 yards is a feesable goal.

What exactly do you intend to do with this rifle? Target? Hunting?

it will be used for target shooting and hunting white tail deer. not accuracy concered for white tail because i will probably only shot 300 yards on deer but i want to hit a 18inch steel plate at 1000 yards to work on my marksmanship. i can do it at 300 yards with a .22

If you can do it @300 with a .22, then I have no doubt you can achieve your 1000 yard goal with the mosin. Although, you'd end up with a better long distance rifle by adding a modern scope to a M39. As the rifle and decent modern scope can be had for about the same price at what you will pay for the mosin sniper. The scopes on those snipers arn't really that impressive IMO.

What model .22 are you using at 300?

i use a marlin 925m chambered in 22mag. great little gun got it for 99 dollars used at cabelas but wallmart has them new for 279 i think?? here is a attached picture. would recomend this gun to anybody. the picture of the target is at 200 yards. no picture of the 300 yard one i will post soon. allot of people think im a great shot im only 16.

Attachments

• 22 mag and dead squirrel 2.JPG
    22 mag and dead squirrel 2.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 22 mag target.JPG
    22 mag target.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 54
i use a marlin 925m chambered in 22mag. great little gun got it for 99 dollars used at cabelas but wallmart has them new for 279 i think?? here is a attached picture. would recomend this gun to anybody. the picture of the target is at 200 yards. no picture of the 300 yard one i will post soon. allot of people think im a great shot im only 16.

Remember, anything you put on the interwebs doesnt go away.

22 mag tac driver
this is my marlin 925m that i got from cabelas last year for 99 bucks. and later i put the fixed 4x scope and a coldwell bipod and the quake claw sling. this gun is a absolute tac driver and dont even know how far it shoots cause i dont have any open land. max shot is 125 yards. great gun and want to see pictures of your 22s........the squirrrel that was shot in the picture was my lil brother shooting not me.. took him on his first hunt the other day at age 13 i am 16. parents dont hunt and wanted to spread the fever to the little brother and he is hooked!!

i saw the two posts, both made within a day, with huge differences in yards. Nothing more, nothing less. As for lying on the interwebs….dont be naive….those "girls" in the chatrooms have hairy backs:D

Well, to be honest, it's a tough pill to swallow. First, Mosin Nagants are quite the common rifle. It isn't common for sharpshooters to not know anything about Mosins. That's possible for this scenario, I guess. Thinking you want to use a milsurp rifle and you don't care if it's accurate or not since you're "only shooting to 300 yards" to hunt deer can be interpreted as irresponsible. Many humane hunters wouldn't normally take a shot at a deer, more less with an average Mosin. Most would at least make sure it shoots MOA and not many do without some work done on it. At 300yds, MOA, not even taking into account shooters' variables, is over 3 inches. Your typical milsurp rifle such as the Mosin, is usually 2 to 4 MOA. At said distance you're now looking at 6 to 16 inches...and that's 300 yards. Given those equations, it should be understood the doubt people have that you're going to use this for deer at that distance humanely.

If you head over to a reputable rimfire forum, you'll find the .22Mag cartridge is a good cartridge. But at the distance you claim? Well, there are those that can do it...given enough tries. But I don't see bullet holes exactly grouping the size of a quarter, though.

To top it off, you state you're 16? Combining the fact you're not even old enough to drink a beer, a new member and have trouble posting with decent grammatical content, it's not exactly surprising that your claims are being questioned.

How about instead of ribbing the guy, you try and help him and give him advice. Thats why he's here, to get help from knowledgeable people. I dont think the kids age has anything to do with his ability nor is he here to be judged. Lighten up man.

Advice? Drop the idea of using a Mosin for hunting deer at that range and target/plinking at 1000 yards. Use two different rifles for that application. Once you provide a budget, then we can further assisst you.

OK, back on subject, I looked at the rifle and I'm just wondering if its worth the price, and is the scope worth it?

And no I won't be shooting at 1.000 yards, I just like old WWII rifles

It will be a a S&G rifle :D

OK a little off topic
is a M44 carbine a good rifle to shoot, I've heard about the recoil:eek:

Last edited:
anyone own or have any experience with these

To name a couple"

Vassili Zaitsev
Levchenko
Pilychin

They work, they are effective.

Just to give you an idea:

The Army Research Laboratory did a study in 1999 "Sniper Weapon Control Error Budget Analysis". Using the Knight SSW SR25, with M118LR. The Probability of Hitting an E-Silhouette target at 600 yards was 27%, (Using the rifle above and spotter with spotting scope).

Fast forward to Oct, 2010, at the CMP Western Games where they did a Test Vintage Sniper Match using pre-1954 Sniper Rifles, including the Mosins.

The match consisted of a two man team, each team member firing 15 shots at 300 & 600 yards. Taking the scores for 600 yards, and only counting the 9 ring and above (they used the NRA HP 600 yard target) the shots in the 9-10-X ring percentage exceeded that of the Knight SSW SR25. These guys were using the M1C/D, 1903A4, Mosin's and Model 98s 'n Such. (The demensions of the E Silhouette is about 19 X 40, the diameter of the 9 ring of the MR1, 600 yard target is 18 inchs).

So basically when we consider its the shooter and not the rifle, the Mosin 91/30 Sniper will do about anything the shooter calls on it to do, assuming the Shooter can shoot the rifle.

The Mosin probably account for more sniper "kills" then any sniper system in history. Granted they had a target rich enviorment, but still, they work.

sniper weapon control error budget analysis

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA367672

This is quite tech. but go to page 32, table 7: Read the base line col. ref PH (probable hits), come down to 600 yards. I used 600 yards because that is the distance (in addition to the 300 yard line) that the CMP uses in their Vintage Sniper Matches. Go to the CMP web site to find the results of the matches.

There is a lot of information in the Report from the Army Research Lab. I used the Baseline because it most closely resembles the course of fire for the Vintage Sniper Matches. The Baseline in the report consist of: 2 man sniper team, using Rifle, Spotting Scope and laser Range finder. The CMP games don't require the range finders but it's a known distance range.

As to range finders, when I was running sniper schools we didn't have them. We used the front sight of the M1. The Service Rifle sight on the M1 is the same width as the E-Silhouette Target at 250 yards. Using that, you can effectively use it as a range finder, much the way Mil Dots work.

The front sight on the average Mosin Rifle is .060, using that, and converting it to MOA, (figuring in my head cause I'm too lazy to find a calculator), the Front sight would cover the E-Silhouette at about 300 meters. If you understand that, then you have a range finder built into your rifle. I don't have the experience using the Russian Scope to tell you what the MOA of it's post is.

Anyway, this and my other post, is to point out, that it's not the rifle, its the shooter.

The average sniper shot in Vietnam was just north of 400 yards. I've shot enough Infantry Trophy Matches at 400 yards with a M16A1, using M193 ball that I know I can hit a E-Silhouette at that range with iron sights with regularity. If I can do it with a M16A1 and 55 grn bullets, I've no doubt that anyone with a bit of practice can engage the same target at 600 using a Mosin.

Point taken, Kraig. Mosins have been known for their accuracy. But those fellas didn't exactly pull one off of Gander Mountain's $99 special shelf and start firing away, either...

Back