Mosin for Hogs?

You don't need a manual safety as long as you aren't intentionally messing with the trigger. I chamber a round when I get to the hunting place. Then let the safety and trigger be until you see a deer. Now don't be walking around with it or climbing a stand with a round in the chamber and no safety on.

I could never let myself trust a Mosin Nagant trigger.

It's basically designed like a raccoon trap. Probably will be ok, but looking at the triggers in mine, not gonna sit there with it cocked

The Mosin Trigger is simplicity simplified, unless you are intentionally Beating the rifle against a tree, it's not going to go off even then it won't unless you've been stoning the trigger willy-nilly.

I don't find using the safety on my Mosins particularly hard.

Oh, and I found out that it will be a day hunt with a guide. We'll start at dawn and hunt till dusk. No night vision or anything will be used/provided.

I think it would be a kick in the butt to use a mosin on hogs. I'm sure 150 gr soft point bullets would do the job.

I never use the safety on any of my hunting rifles simply because I never load a round in the chamber until I'm ready to fire.

I find hunting so relaxing that I've often times dozed off during a hunt... That's another reason I don't chamber a bullet lol.

Even when asleep I can hear a pig coming.

You don't need a manual safety as long as you aren't intentionally messing with the trigger. I chamber a round when I get to the hunting place. Then let the safety and trigger be until you see a deer. Now don't be walking around with it or climbing a stand with a round in the chamber and no safety on.

+1

In order to avoid accidentally messing with the trigger, intentionally keep your index finger straight, and on the stock.

I do agree with the trigger safety on most guns, I do hunt loaded. and carry loaded weapon daily.
However, I cannot be convinced that the mosin trigger will stay in it's place if bumped or jarred around... I'd be afraid to sneeze, cough or get startled whilst holding a cocked mosin. I really don't want to drop them.

All objects not on the ground have the chance of traveling to the ground...

I'd keep the bolt open on a mosin. Probably a rare chance, but after careful examination of the firing mechanism, it could disengage without input from the trigger.

josh, i looked at the pics in the link you provided. pretty cool.

when researching option for projectiles, i was trying to research the difference between Mosin's barrel to model, and came up with that 99% of MN's are going to have the same twist. I see that the biggest chunk of your hunters are using the 200gr-ish stuff with apparrent sucess. i have tried it several times, two manufacturers, compaing it to the 175-180gr i find the 200's are terrible in my rifle. I would think this would be a universal issue among mosin's, but i am seeing it must just be me. what ammo'ss do you find to be most accurate? i am pretty settled on the hornady 174's, but have about six new bullets to try out including the 180gr RN soft-pointt which looks like a great hunting bullet.

i am not done finding the perfect nagant round for accuracy AND hunting, but have a lot to choose from. picked these up n a trade and really need to get busy reloading and shooting. it very well could be the fact that all the 196-210 bullets i ever ran were factory loaded and not handloads, bt even compared to the other factory's under 180, the 200's(although not key-holing) appear to be less stabilized at 100 yards, some grouping with several errratic flyers.

nice selection from another forum member. after a ride in a tumbler, I hope to find an accurate bullet in the soft-point variety, the SST's are great so far, but at a huge cost.

Last edited:
;)

smithsightsmosinSST1.jpg

I bought a Ukranian refurb M44 in case my friends from Texas ever invited me for a hog hunt.
Never did and I sold it. It was a great, accurate, short rifle and I think it would have knocked down any hog. I found the sights very easy to acquire for snap shooting. I thought the trigger was pretty nice, too. I guess I had the M44 that was the exception to every stereotype.

Anyhow, I shot mostly 175 grain surplus (if memory serves) so I probably would have looked for a similar weight bullet for hunting if I'd had the call up.
I didn't reload, so that wasn't an option.

You're fine on tools; go out and have fun.

Here is what i use for my Mosin brush gun.

COZMOSIN001_zpsf64d878a.jpg

CozMosin019_zps78c6af79.jpg

I put a Millet Red dot on it. Works great.
100_9572_zps62da05a9.jpg

I have a few others that I can use too.

100_9207_zps1651637a.jpg

He who dies with the most Mosin's wins!! I am not even in the ball game, some guys have a whole bunch.

Last edited:
Model12,
Just in case you haven't been informed, we cannot hunt hogs at night in Oklahoma. The only exception I know is a landowner with a depredation permit. Plan on a daytime hunt.

Back