Mosin Experience?

From everything that I have read (and we all know EVERYTHING you read on the net is true ) uniformity is key for harmonics in general.
"Key" to what?
Hang a skunk off the end of my barrel; I'll develop a load that shoots just as well as it does now.

If this is true, then wouldn't a more uniform barrel allow a more even flow of harmonics?
No. Vibrations are just that, vibrations. Are you able to calculate the vibrations on a slide rule with the "a more uniform barrel" rendering load development irrelevant?

As I said, a change in anything barrel related will "simply change [harmonics] to some degree." Whereas, if you have developed a load or found ammo that shoots well, you may need to redevelop or research the ammo for it.

Ever used a tuning fork? Wack it on something and listen. Now stick your finger on the end of one of the forks (simulating the effects of a big heavy lug on the end of a barrel) and notice the difference in sound.
Almost like it has, "simply change [harmonics] to some degree."

Have to agree with Tuttle,might be a $69 rifle now but 20 years from now?I cringe every time i see a swede 96 or 38 that someone sporterized,or a 1903 with a bright blue finish,markings half removed,in a Fajen stock.If its a beater made of Frankenstein parts,maybe.

Win 94

"Key" to what?

Harmonics in general as I stated above......not sure I understand your question. :confused:

My post really has nothing to do with load developement as I dont plan to load any tailored rounds for the rifle until the modifications are complete. Overall, I just dont like the useless, ugly lug hanging from the end of my barrel although I'd take that over a skunk :barf:. Maybe 'harmonics' wasn't the best term to describe my concerns. In most discussions of harmonics I've read, people also include barrel whip, pressure wave, and barrel timing in conjunction with this term. Wouldn't having extra weight on the end of the barrel induce greater whip? Whip equalling loss in accuracy?

Wouldn't having extra weight on the end of the barrel induce greater whip? Whip equalling loss in accuracy?

Not necessarily. Ever see barrel weights on pistols & rifles.

You can't get away from WHIP, its there whether you know it or not. Weights often dampen it.

Whip isn't bad if it's consistent.

I bought an extra front sight assy for my m-44 and cut the bayonette ears off and ground them down to the contour of the sight. I removed the front sight pin and replaced it with a longer one, then polished and cold blued the assy. After re-installing, I sighted in the rifle at 100yds and installed the sight hood. The grouping did not seem to change at all, but at least I am no longer high and to the left.

question sc928porsche, Did you press your front sight on and off? I mean to say, using an actual press? That is how I removed mine but am wondering if installation can be done with a little heat and a rubber mallet.

Back