Mosin bullbarrel?

HALLAUSTIN

Where can I find a bullbarrel for a m91/30? I saw them on classicarms but now they are sold out :( this is going to be a project and I was wondering if anyone knew where to get one.

That's not a task for the average home hobbiest. It would require an action wrench (maybe specific) and a barrel clamp.

Barrel shank dia. .980, length .937... 16 Threads per inch

Just get a barrel blank in 308 or 311 and make fit your own.

You can rent headspace reamers and gages.

so the barrel is threaded on? I always thought it the receiver and barrel were all one solid piece from the way it looks. Always thought it would be nice to put a new barrel on it, but didnt think it was possible

You can buy just the reciever and that way it has clean, new, non-marred threads. And my thought was to put this barrel on one of these and then into a poly stock, drill and tap it, and scope the beast.

Do what Kraig said.

The UK-59 machine gun barrel thing was way overhyped. The barrels take a ton of work to get them on the rifle. No shoulder, needs a machined collar and to get the extractor groove to time properly.

Then there's the barrel itself. It's a machine gun barrel- not a match grade target barrel. Just get a quality blank (I'd go .308 for bullet selection if you handload), and you'll get a far more accurate rifle for less $$ and a lot less headache.

This is very informative regarding that "build":

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/mosin-nagant/135869-mosin-heavy-barrel-build.html

A buddy of mine had to cut into the old barrel where it meets the receiver just to get it to turn free. They can be stuck on there nice and hard. They definitely aren't the easiest project. I'd personally look into Teludyne Tech's Straight Jacket if I were you. They actually pull the groups in pretty tight, and you can shoot a large string of ammo and your groups won't open much (everywhere I found references to them) and immediately afterwards, you can put your finger into the chamber and not be burned.

Best news? They use the barrel that's already on your rifle. I think they'll put a new one on if you request it, but not totally sure with that one.

Kinda like puttin lipstick on a pig isn't it? I can see some attraction for an el'cheapo Mosin due to price but once you start thinkin about spending money on mods they lose all appeal. Buy it, shoot it, but if you want better get a better gun.

LK

Kinda like puttin lipstick on a pig isn't it? I can see some attraction for an el'cheapo Mosin due to price but once you start thinkin about spending money on mods they lose all appeal.

I disagree with that comment.

Wasn't it Colonel Townsend Whelen that said "only accurate rifles are interesting"

Now I can see shooting an "as issued Mosin" in CMP GSM matches (where unmodified rifles are required by rules) and testing the shooter as opposed to the rifle.

But there is another sport out there that deals with accurate rifles. There is a valid reason where one would want to eek the most accuracy out of a 7.62X54R case.

Why not, the (our) army spent a lot of money doing just that, testing the 7.62X54R simply to see what causes variances in velocity.

The Russians used that round in the Olympics.

I see no reason why, if a guy wanted to used a Mosin Action, match barrel, modified stock, he shouldn't try to ring out the most of a rifle.

In the test I mentioned above, the results was temperature and powder charge that made the difference.

Anyone who has fired a Mosin knows that puppy gets hot quick. If you can put a heavy barrel on the rifle to control the heat, why wouldn't it shoot better. and because it shoots better, it becomes an "interesting rifle".

It's people playing with such experiments in their basement or garage that led to most of our firearm developments.

These people should be encouraged not discouraged.

OK I'll get off my rant so we can get back on topic.

There are examples of rebarreled Mosin's in the sporterizing section of surplusrifles. The person who did this used a Lothar Walther bull barrel.
If you want to reduce or eliminate thermal stringing, just treat it like a mini-14 and send it to cryopro for cryoprocessing. This has worked on mini's for a long time. Mosin's and mini's share a similar design feature; long thin barrels.

Heck, I'm with kilkenny. He just beat me to the smart aleck comment. I was gonna say 'Pearls on a Rooster'. Everybody needs a project, but can't the OP find a better project than that. Why spend a good sum of money to fancy up a rather crude rifle. It is a historically significant military rifle, so leave it like that and use it like it was designed to be used. Reminds me of my brother's mechanically talented buddy in High School. He took a riding mower and jacked it up and put ATV mud tires on it and drove it into a muddy field in Louisiana in a rainy January. Ten years later and it was still there.

As far as the fancy up an ugly rifle bit. I figure why mess up a nicer rifle. Im not a pro, and expect a few good hearted shots at the bubba'd mosin, heck I enjoy em. The idea, in my mind atleast, was to make a decent shooter thats cheap to feed, with trigger that isnt really nice so that when I shoot my nicer guns I really enjoy them. Kinda a you need some bad days to enjoy the good ones type deal. Truth be told, I like mosins. Plus its a gun you wouldnt mind beating the poo out of. Just my .02

When you put it like that, it doesn't sound so crazy. And we all do need a project now and then. When you get finished, send us pictures.

Back