• K-98 8mm Mauser
  • Enfield 30-06
  • 7.7 Japanese
  • And a few others

All of them with the exception of the 7.7 Japanese,,,
Would hit a man-sized target at 400 yards,,,
I used to have good eyes. ;)

The only reason the 7.7 wouldn't do it,,,
Was the crown was worn to an oval by bad cleaning techniques.

The Mosin was a quality built rifle,,,
But it really wasn't any better than the other common milsurps.

They sure are a lot less expensive than the others though,,,
But $109.00 in todays money is similar to $20.00 in early-60's money.

Not ragging on the folk who own and love their Mosins,,,
I just don't see why they think their performance is extraordinary.

Aarond

Whats your definition of good groups though?
1 MOA? 4 MOA? A car?

I can't speak for others, but my opinion is 3.5 MOA.

Where I get that number is from the CMP GSM Vintage Military Rifle Matches.

The CMP GSM uses the NRA 200 yard High Power Target. The X-10 ring of that target is 3.5 MOA.

That's the goal I use for working up loads for a military surplus rifle. Most can do it, its the shooter that's the weak link in the chain.

You don't have to have a scout setup to scope a mosin

I used a Weaver Side Mount. Not a fan of scout scopes...not enough magnification for my application anyway.
Others are adaptable as well with a little ingenuity.

I just don't see why they think their performance is extraordinary.

Pretty extraordinary for a $100 centerfire rifle. :D

My favorite milsurp is a K31 and while it will out shoot the average Mosin, it also cost me twice as much, plus considerably more to feed.

My favorite milsurp is a K31 and while it will out shoot the average Mosin, it also cost me twice as much, plus considerably more to feed.

My younger son wanted one for Xmas, so I picked one up.
Took it and a few boxes of GP11 with us to the range a few weeks ago for the first time.

Mind you, we never shoot irons (except our handguns), all our rifles are scoped for long range. My 14 year old chambers a round, sights the 100 yard target, and hits within 2" of the bulls on the first shot...
Then my older son gets behind it, and does the same thing...hands the rifle to me, and a third good hit. Never fired the rifle before, and three of us nailed it on the first three rounds. Amazingly accurate rifle...I can't wait to scope it and handload for it. I was impressed with the GP11 ammo (except for the price). Since those are 174 grain pills, it should really like the 175 SMK's we use in his .308.

Not a fan of scout scopes...not enough magnification for my application anyway.

And that application is .......?

".....and what we want/and what we need/has been confused, been confused".....- Finest Worksong, R.E.M.

600-1000.

I'm not interested in starting a pizzing contest. I know it can be done with less magnification, I prefer more when conditions permit.

josey, I don't know where you live, but you can try http://www.armslist.com

They're around. But make sure you check the barrel on a Mosin M44. That model has more of a reputation for rough barrels than the others, from what I'm hearing and from what I've experienced.

I personally find the longer barreled M91/30 more enjoyable to shoot, but the M44 is pretty exciting on occasion if you're in the mood for some dramatic muzzle flash, and the folding SKS style bayonet is nice to have.

If the shorter barrel is your main concern, there are some beautiful M91/59's floating around. That model is not as rare as claimed, from what I've seen at gun shows. They're frequently mistaken for the M38. The M38 is another option to keep an eye out for. Essentially the same as the M44, but without the bayonet. The M91/59 also lacks the bayonet. Check armslist, and keep looking.

If you just want a shorter barrel, get a 91/30, break out the hacksaw, and get a PTG 11 degree crown cutting tool :)

IMAG0580.jpg

I have the brass stacker mount on my wish list. But with iron sights I hit less then 2 inch groups at 100 yds consistently. My eyes rant much good past that. I've taken 3 coyote with my 91/30. Mine is dated 1942. Lots of fun. I really want the mount and a pistol scope.

I have a 1929 91/30, 1953 Hungarian M-44, and a 91/59. The Hungarian is the best shooter out of the group. I killed a doe a couple years back at over 200yrds. I was using S&B 174gr. SMK. The 91/30 is the most pleasant to shoot. They all shoot pretty good whats needed is plenty of range time to get acquainted with your rifle. I used the 91/30 right after halloween to ''kill'' some pumpkins and was blowing them into tiny little pieces at 75yrds. I bought 2 tins of Bulgarian heavy ball thats brass cased but corrosive and they all seem to like it. Its getting harder to find though.

Back