Mosin accuracy

Irish B

For those of you who still doubt the accuracy of the mosin it still amazes me how flat it shoots. Yesterday I took it out for some long range shooting. Set up targets at 200, 250, 300, 350 and was able to land decent groups at all ranges. For those who care I have an ati stock, bipod, flash suppressor, 16x50 scope.

I'd like to see that scope mount, as well. The only reason I haven't bought one is because I can't see how to get glass on it...

There is nothing wrong with the Mosins if one takes the time to learn to shoot it.

Mine is still in "as issued" condition and I have no problem whacking my gongs out to 400 yards (max length of my range).

That's its orginal iron sights.

Scope is mounted on a tri rail mount just in front of the bolt. Almost like a pistol mount but further back. Took some getting used to but I'm happy with it now. The tri rail mounts in place of the rear adjustable sight. Btw i was using tulammo and russian surpluss fmj ammo. I ran some 200gr Winchester jsp through it and it seemed a little less stable but was still pretty accurate.

Please tell more about this mount. I took the rear irons off, but need to find a GOOD mount for this gun. Could you post some pics, and tell what brand of mount you have??

Without pix...

Irish B--It never happened. "Decent groups" could be = "Minute of barn door" or could be = "minute of angle."

Not saying you didn't do the shooting, just show us what you got please! :)

Attachments

• Gy:sgt.gif
    Gy:sgt.gif
    26.3 KB · Views: 102
I have heard good things about the Brass Stacker mount. Does not require permanent modification to the rifle, and allows you to keep your rear sight leaf.
http://brassstacker.com/mosin-nagant/scope-mount/

I believe Nutnfancy did a review on this mount.

Most Mosins I know of shoot quite well, even with only iron sights and without any gunsmithing work. There are things you can test/look for to make sure you have a good shooting rifle: check headspace (a no-go gauge is 30 bucks, and you should at least have a field gauge to make sure it is safe to shoot), check for worn rifling/crown, make sure the barrel slugs as close to .311 as possible (I got lucky there with mine), and keep those screws tight.

The best scope mount out there for Mosin besides the original mount is the Rock Solid Industries mount. You have to take it to a gunsmith to have your receiver drilled and tapped, but its the only real way to mount a scope securely i believe. I just don't feel comfortable using the mounts that replace the rear sight

Whats your definition of good groups though?
1 MOA? 4 MOA? A car?
Some measurements could be useful.

Most people who shoot MN's seem to just run the cheapest ammo they can through them, so I wouldn't be surprised if they shot reasonably well with some decent ammo.

Here's mine from a crappy day a couple of weeks ago, wind was 1/4 value gusting over 15 mph from the right...

Only shot a few of these, 300 yards paper, then moved to steel at 565 yards.
Low right flier was me...this was pretty typical, right about minute of angle if you take out my screw up. 174 grain SMK's.

IMAG0617.jpg

"Decent groups" could be = "Minute of barn door" or could be = "minute of angle."

My thoughts exactly but that isn't to say that the Mosin can't be an accurate gun as Topnpr posted below.

Mine is plenty accurate with open sights and it would be a fine hunting rifle up to 100 yards.

A lot of the bores on them are oversized. If you reload, slug the bore with a fishing sinker then measure. Having a good bullet dia to bore size will most likely in crease accuracy quite a bit.

I need to add that the above target wasn't shot with a stock rifle...but that's probably fairly obvious.
Receiver and pillar bedded in a Boyd's stock, Timney trigger, barrel shortened and target crowned...and of course, handloads...

Back