Mosin 91/30 question

holt2010

Hey guys i just recently got a mosin nagant 91/30 and I cant get the safety to engage. I looked on the web and found how to do it but the cocking piece wont move when i try to pull it back. Any thoughts?

It can take a very fair amount of force to pull back the handle. Also another thing, the bolt must be cocked for the safety to work on some models. If neither of those are the issue then something is obviously jammed inside the bolt. In which case I would dismantle it and try and find the issue, or have a gunsmith do it if you don't know how.

-Term

It seems to take a ton of strength, at least on mine. I don't even bother with it, just follow the 4 rules and let that be my safety.

The mosin safety is pretty solid but incredibly hard to turn on and off.I modified the firing pin springs on my two mosins so you can use the safety since I use both of them for hunting.

One guy stated that when he tried to pull and twist that d@@@@d bolt, he lost the use of one or two small tendons in his hand or wrist.

The only hang-up is supervising others who use your gun.

The safety on my Finn M39 is far easier to use then the others. That being said, the trick is to put the butt in the crook of the arm and use that hand to pull the knob back and turn it. Makes it much easier.

One guy stated that when he tried to pull and twist that d@@@@d bolt, he lost the use of one or two small tendons in his hand or wrist.

He used his index finger and thumb and crushed the nerve in his finger. I've used my index and middle fingers to hook around the knob - it's more difficult but lessens the chance of nerve damage.

I'm with those who've already posted "Satety? On a Mosin? What safety? That's my index finger."

Heck--I forgot the thing even HAD a safety! :D I just think of it two ways---When the bolt is out, the safety is on. When it's not, it's ready to go BANG. That simple mind-set is much easier than trying to operate the mechanical safety, and I get to keep the skin on my fingers.

I second that- It's quicker to yank the bolt out and reinsert it than try to set and take off the safety. Nothing safer than having the firing pin in your pocket :p

My favorite comment on the Mosin and it's safety:
It does, in fact, have a safety, but it's quite hard to engage. But this is not a complaint one would ever voice in the Red Army. Your officer would reply, "Safety? Safety? Is gun! Meant to kill! No warrior should know he has safety on gun, because he should be killing enemies of homeland! Safety make loud click to aid enemy in locating warriors! No safety!" while pounding his fist on the table.

And the Mosin can kill enemies of homeland. The muzzle blast will vaporize green growth within a few feet of the muzzle, and even if you miss, the enemy will be reduced to shouting "WHAT?" to communicate.
http://www.google.com/search?q=ten+manliest+firearms&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

whether or not the gun is loaded, where your pointing the barrel, and whether or not im pulling the trigger is what i use for the safety on my mosin cause the normal one is too hard to pull back just like on yours

It is an extremely hard safety to actually work. And the one time I did use it: I spent more time trying to disengage it than actually shooting. Mine seemed to lock up on me and only a good amount of fussing over it got it undone. And then my bolt locked up due to cosmoline: all in all, I got to fire 11 rounds and spending twenty minutes wrestling with the gun. Not a fun experience, I haven't used it since.

safety.jpg

they're little inside jokes among the Mosin shooting community. Mosin safeties are so hard to work that it's not worth using.

Back