More to slings than just a strap over the shoulder?

Pond James Pond

I have no slings for any of my guns. I can carry them in a case for the places I go for now, but I think I'd still like to get some for a couple of guns.

I have my CZ .308 bolt and My Sig M400.

From what I have read there are slings that seem to fit different purposes, but I have no idea what they are.

Can slings types be broken down in to a few types?

And if so do each type have benefits worth noting?

Slings come in two major flavors.

Carrying aids.

Shooting aids.

Some can do both, some only one.

Single point slings are for carrying and rapid transitions to pistol.

Two points slings (carry strap) are for carrying and use as a hasty sling, or redone as a loop sling (if the sling is capable of it).

Three point slings are for ease of manipulating the weapon to your side for carrying.

If you don't know what type of sling you should use, get a two point sling, practice the hasty sling position, practice the loop sling position, and see if you like the results.

Jimro

The Sig M400 can take a variety of different slings where as your bolt gun would benefit the best from a two post sling? Does it currently have sling studs in it? If not it isn't hard to do and there are lots of videos on it.

As for slings there are a lot of types of slings thick and thin, padded and unpadded, leather and neopream. For me in the field I like to go with an unpadded more flexible sling.

If you intend to do any walking with that bolt gun slung over your shoulder with a 2-point sling, do yourself a favor and get one that has a thumb loop. You'd be surprised what how much that little loop helps with comfort.

For a plain ole throw it over your shoulder sling I like the ones that have rubber or other material on the inside part of the sling that touches your clothing at the chest and shoulder area. They do not slip around as much as ones that are slick in that area.

If I carry a rifle in the woods, it must have a sling.
For those who spent time in uniform, a sling is mandatory.

A sling allows you to use your hands for whatever and be armed. A sling to a rifle is what a holster is for a pistol.

types

Not official, but here is my break down on sling types:

-carry straps; most common "2-points" would fall into this category. Sole
purpose is for carry, but can be used as "hasty" shooting sling. I have
also seen the GI two point (with the shackle and buckle) used as a shooting sling.

-shooting slings; the GI 1903, the Ching Sling, the "CW", others? Using the
GI 1903 is sort of a lost art. The Ching and CW are ideas from the Cooper
"scout rifle" concept.

-"tactical" slings; all the rage now for the AR and black rifle family. Viking,
Blackhawk, how many others? Single point, two point, quick release, etc

When I was on a military rifle team, I learned how to use a "shooting" sling. I no longer have need for that type.
A "carrying" sling is invaluable if used properly in the field. In rough terrain, it allows the hands to be used(or a staff/walking stick) for support,balance, and doesn't tire the arms.
A "military" type has more adaptations and options than I even know about but basically, it keeps the rifle at a semi-ready position w/o tiring the arms. I use a 2 or 3 point carry sling more than any other since I carry an AR 15 more than any other rifle/carbine. These can be very complex/expensive or fairly simple/cheap depending on your use/needs. The one I'm using now is simply 4' of 1" nylon strap, a snap, and 2 sliders(about $5 at the farm store) but it has limitations. I prefer the Blackhawk or Mamba but they're 5 times the weight and 5-10 times the cost. I'll switch to one of those when I start wearing heavy winter clothes since they adjust easier.

A great tutorial on slings as shooting aids can be found in the blog "Art of the Rifle"www.artoftherifleblog.com Go to the "reference section."

This guy has used most of the slings out there, apparently. He eventually went on to make his own model. The rest of the blog is great reading, too. I have learned a lot from him.

For those who spent time in uniform, a sling is mandatory.
Not everywhere it isn't. A number of services intentionally do not use slings & some even remove the swivels to prevent re-installation in the field.
The theory being that a rifle is supposed to be in the soldier's hands ready for immediate action. In those services using a sling is thought of as "lazy";)

I find I get best utility from the Hunter brand slings. I prefer the 1" wide leather. A hand wrap in the sling when gripping the forestock makes a pretty stable hold on a rifle.

I like a 2 point military style sling for hunting.
The rifle is kept easily accessible - across the front of the body, with the muzzle down - and the sling supports most of the weight.
It also provides a lot of stability when shooting unsupported as often happens in "the wild".
I've used the old leather slings for a lot of years, but lately I've really been liking the v-tac sling for its ease of adjustment.

A number of services intentionally do not use slings & some even remove the swivels to prevent re-installation in the field.
Just curious, but what services would those be?

Personally, I cant imagine having a rifle without a sling of some sort.

Every one of my rifles has a sling. They're as much for steadying my aim as they are for hands-free carrying.

I find for rifles, shotguns and AR's that I strongly prefer sling setups which allow my gun to hang on the front of me, right side up.

Those are usually sold as tactical 2pt slings.

I have a 1930s german rifle with three attachment points . I couldn't figure that out until Jeff Cooper mentioned it.He found that the Brits used it many years ago for their military rifles but at one point it was abandoned . Lots of choices today !

I have my CZ .308 bolt and My Sig M400.

Since you referenced the CZ bolt rifle, one type of sling that's proven very useful on several of my bolt guns either for carry purposes or as a supporting-aid for quick shots, is the 3-point "Ching sling." Although popularized by the late Col. Cooper, it's actually a derivative of an old British 3-point set-up.

The longer part of the strap works for shoulder carrying, while the middle shorter strap, properly positioned, works for getting your offside arm slung-in quickly and tightly as you shoulder the rifle. A very practical system for a hard-use hunting rifle. I have the 1-inch versions on two .22s, a 303Brit, a .308, and two 30.06s. Several of my Ching slings also use Pachmyr's QD mounts.

I have a 1930s german rifle with three attachment points . I couldn't figure that out until Jeff Cooper mentioned it.He found that the Brits used it many years ago for their military rifles but at one point it was abandoned .
Not completely. It was "Improved" into the "Ching Sling", but I like, & use, the original version.

Photo (c) wogpotter 2013
DSCF1304_zps0893116a.jpg

Ive had Ching type slings on a number of different rifles. They are probably the best set up, for those type guns you tend to use quickly, but can work well in place of a cuff or 1907 type, set up for target shooting.

Ive found the leather to work better than the webbing type, as the loop tends to stay open better while quickly slinging up.

Back