More powdercoat testing

I was craigslist shopping today, a decent full-size stove/oven about 50-75$. I still have a nearly empty garage with the laundry room in the attached basement, so 220 will be easy. I like idea of having 4 burners as well for keeping molds hot etc.

I was craigslist shopping today, a decent full-size stove/oven about 50-75$. I still have a nearly empty garage with the laundry room in the attached basement, so 220 will be easy. I like idea of having 4 burners as well for keeping molds hot etc.
You got it made then! Don't forget mini beer fridge!:D Well for when your done casting anyhoot...lol

mini?
icon_twisted.gif

I DID find room for mid-sized fridge/freezer in my backyard loading shop for "adult refreshing beverages"! A must-have on those hot AZ days. Or cold AZ days, too! :eek:

I can use it for annealing too, water method anyways. im super excited, I guess I didn't fully realize the potential of a stove. PC curing, smelting, mold heating, water annealing, heat treating, drying brass. surely there is more

Beagle, have you ever used aircraft safety pliers?

61%2B%2B3ad3ksL._SX522_.jpg

These might be excellent for wiring up bullets. I have a pair and will try to find some wire to test them.

PC'd my first bullets yesterday. Definate learning curve. Wish I had remembered everything I read before I started, but that is how I learn.

I read on that other forum, that closer spacing facilitates better coverage. Do you find that to be true?

I have some steel 'C' channel that might make a great fixture for wiring up bullets. Also , I bought some Eastwood Smoke Chrome pc. I like it. Looks like glossy lead...

Thanks for another good thread!

I haven't tried that kind of pliers. I never even had any of those when I was building kit airplanes, even though we had (what seemed like) miles of safety wire in them. :)
I have discovered that I have just as much success by standing the bullets on a tray right beside my oven, spraying them, and then transferring them to a tray already in the oven, using some smooth-jawed hobby needlenose pliers. They don't hardly make any marks on the bullets and I can even move the tall skinny .270 bullets without knocking any over. :D

Being closer is good, as far as not wasting powder, but there is a point of diminishing returns where the bullets will "shadow" the bullets beside them and you will not get good coverage. So experimenting with each caliber is necessary to know just how tight you can get them for maximum powder efficiency, but still maintain enough space for good air/powder circulation between.

And, I tested some used (reclaimed) powder from a powdercoating shop. It makes a nice color, but when it starts to flow, it flows just a little too much and gets thinner than I like. I'll have to test it a little more. But.... hey... it's free!
1-31-15a%20004_zpstiarqmhy.jpg

Back