More on the Steyr Scout...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It never ceases to amaze me how some companies don't get it. The SS is not cheap; in fact, it is very expensive. Problems of fit and finish shouldn't exist. If they do, they should take care of it. Customer service? Most American gun manufacturers are much more responsive. I can't imagine Savage with $425 Scout sticking its head in the sand and ignoring the problem. At least from what I have heard, they take care of customer problems.

Wasn't doubting MadDogs Smithing in the least bit. My point is that there still is a problem. And at the price of the Scout it shouldn't require the attention of a Smith to do this.

Rich - I've never seen your Scout - but I played with a Scout for a few hours and the example I toyed with had its share of grit.
I assume that after a normal break in period it would smooth up. I dont know. I swapped scopes on it and zeroed it in for the owner per his request. I remember thinking the there was some stone work that needed to be done.

That skinny barrel just doesnt look tough enough for me coming out of its rather brutish looking stock...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rich Lucibella:

Unfortunately, the Scout's ability to allow ease of bolt use with this ammo remains nonexistent. The bolt hangs up at the top of the arc and requires a palm slap to break and open....not good. Rich
[/quote]

This is exactly the same manner in which my friend's Remington 7 chokes, on extraction, with several types of milsurp ball.

Rosco

Gunny-
Didn't think you were doubting the Smith work. But your point was a good one and deserved clarification.

Flashman-
I try to avoid discussions of the Scout price. Compared to a Savage, it's indeed dear. Then again, compared to a Toyota, so's a Mercedes. However, at any price, a consumer goods company would do well to listen to it's customers....Colt learned this lesson the hard way.

Rosco-
Thanks for the reality check. As usual, your're right on target. Now for the $60,000 question: how do we resolve the problem?
Rich

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rich Lucibella:
[B
Rosco-
Thanks for the reality check. As usual, your're right on target. Now for the $60,000 question: how do we resolve the problem?
Rich[/B][/quote]

Well, one approach is to be selective in what sorts of ammo we use. There is some wisdom to the notion of "If I won't drink a country's water, then I won't use their ammo". However, a "utility" rifle ought to be able to function with any safe ammo of the proper caliber.

My Ruger 77-based scout, put together by the Gunsite Gunsmithy back in 1983 or so, seems to handle everything just fine (factory barrel, factory chamber, old-style 77 push-feed action with a BIG claw extractor).

Rich, how does your M-70 based Mad Dog rifle do with milsurp ball?

Rosco

My Enfield Scout will consistantly print .75" groups at 100 yards using Greek surplus ball ammo. (HXP71) This is out of a surplus 2 groove barrel that I got from Springfield Sporters for $20. (shortened to 18.5") It feeds, fires and extracts everything I feed it.

Mr Lucibella, you are now in violation of TFL policy of excessive band width for a given Topic.

This Topic will now be closed and Part II started. We will continue the discussion in your absence and, hopefully, reach an acceptable solution.

Thank you for your activity, time and opinions you post on TFL.

NOT GET YOUR BUTT ON THE PLANE AND GET GONE TO AFRICA!! :D

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited April 27, 2000).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back