More guns or more ammo?

I would give the advice that more ammo is better, but it's advice I don't follow myself.. buying guns is too damn fun!

Get glass.

I was in the same predicament than than Cabellas had or still has the VX6 3x18x50 W/CDS dial and illuminated recticle for 500$ off n I jumped on it like fat kid on cake.Now I'm looking for a new bolt action to put under it.I already have the SPS700 in 30-06.The 6.5 creedmore craze has my eye but no decision yet.

When I was young and broke all the time, I used to buy cheap guns since varity is the spice of life.
As I got older, I drifted more towards better guns....

I have a lot of cheap guns I don't shoot now because I'm afraid they'll break.
I also have a lot of better guns I don't shoot because I don't want them to get dinged up.....

Buy middle of the road & take up reloading and use the hell out of what you buy! :D :D:D

I don't buy cheap guns, I buy inexpensive guns.
I did buy one cheap gun, a 38 derringer that never has worked right and I learned my lesson.

My next purchases were a post-war Walter PP and wartime P38 for $200 and $250 respectively. Both inexpensive but well made and reliable handguns. Both have served me well for many years with the only reliability upgrade being a forged locking block for the P38.

There's lots of inexpensive handguns out there that are very well made and reliable. The most recent ones are the Sig and Glock LEO trade ins going for the $500 range (that we can't get here in Kalyforrnya) and the Random P64 that sells here for under $300.
All very good and reliable handguns.

So don't buy cheap, buy inexpensive ones and more ammo for them and go shoot them!!!

It depends on many factors, of course.

Being in CA you will have to start reloading (if you currently don't) because of the recent law passed. The good news on that is, you can store powder and primers that will work for different calibers. Let's say you have a 30-06 bolt gun and a .308 AR10 or something. In this case, you could actually use the same bullets as well. So by stocking up on primers, powder and bullets, you have the capability to either make a bunch of one kind or half/half.

This also works with handguns (you can use .355 bullets for 9mm and .380 ACP). Or you could use Bullseye powder in .380, 9mm, .40 and others.

For maximum efficiency you would prioritize your spending on buying long guns that can use the same powder and even the same bullets (though typically an ideal bullet for one gun is less than ideal on another).

If you buy factory ammo, just have a decent lower limit on how much you will have on hand before purchasing the next gun. A good idea is to buy a 2nd gun in the same caliber and possibly one that uses the same mags.

Finally, look into barrel conversions. My XD40 can be turned into a .357sig or a 9mm just for spending $155 on a barrel (The 9mm does require different mags). This basically gives you 2 guns at a cheap price.

Exactly why I unpacked my reloading equipment a while back. Four powders will load all my different calibers and I'm stocking up on projectiles and primers as I type. (Just ordered 1500 more projectiles and bought 2000 SP primers last week.

I've filled all but five of my ammo cans with factory plinking and SD ammo and I'll be reloading the rest myself to keep the last five topped off.
No more store purchases for me.

Many years ago, a wise instructor once said to me, "Beware of the man that has only one gun."

A gun is useless without ammo and in my opinion, one can never have too much ammo.

As a gun collector, I can tell you that I try to shoot most of my guns every once in awhile but there are only two or three that get shot frequently and one that gets shot every time I go to the range and that is my EDC gun. It is the only gun I carry 99% of the time. It is an extension of my hand and I can do some amazing things with it. I have come to realize exactly what that wise instructor meant.

Pep in CA:

For people in CA with any semi-auto handguns or rifles, Much more Ammo, because it will become much more pricey next year or so.

Thanks. I have it covered for awhile. Recently, I purchased a brick of 9mm XTP defensive ammo, 10K of 9mm training ammo, 250 Hornady Critical Defense 12 ga. buckshot defensive ammo, 1.5K of 12 ga. birdshot, 250 rounds of Remington buckshot, and 20K of .22LR.

Funny how politicians often get the opposite of what they want when they try to restrict our rights and our freedoms. I wouldn't have purchased that much ammo before their ridiculous restictions and frivolous paperwork requirements. Irony is a concept that seems to elude them.

If money is limited and so is space, ammo is my priority.

A Gun without ammo makes for an expensive paperweight.

You need enough ammo to be proficient and enough to defend yourself.

With that said, I also reload and carry enough supplies to make 1000 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Addendum. I only have 3 guns ... a home defense shotgun, a 9mm pistol, and a .22LR training rifle. But I have lots of ammo. Oh yeah.

And does my stockpile of ammo make me feel more secure? Oh yes it does. Bravo to ammo.

Cheers.

You've made 3 excellent choices of guns. Since you've apparently got enough money and definitely enough ammo, I'd recommend spending both on a third choice: training.

Depending on where in CA you are, Gunsite might not be that far away.

more ammo

ammo is like fuel, it's a consumable that gets used up with use

guns still need maintenance & repair parts, just like a motor vehicle needs regular maintenance to keep on running reliable

a few good quality guns and lots of ammo to keep them running

guns have a very long shelf life, you can clean and oil them and put them away for 75 years or more and they would still be the same, except the springs might need to be replaced.

ammo also has a long shelf life if stored in a cool dry place, so it's always good to have extra ammo in storage.

Last edited:
You've made 3 excellent choices of guns. Since you've apparently got enough money and definitely enough ammo, I'd recommend spending both on a third choice: training.

Indeed, and thanks for the advice.

90% of my stockpile is for training purposes. I am currently training to improve my marksmanship. When I'm ready for tactical training, I'll seek instruction.

I am also introducing friends to gun safety, discipline, and markmaship, including and especially some lady friends. That is my New Year's resolution.

There is no doubt in my mind that "two is one and one is none" is a sound idea ... and I've had inklings to buy a CZ 75 BD to go with my G19.

However, I do actually have 2 defense guns -- 1 pistol and 1 shotgun -- and since I just spent a big wad on ammo, I'm holding off on the CZ, for now.

Cheers.

Back