More bad news for Taurus

Why was the gun pointed in a direction of any person?

Also, never trust a safety. But if the gun can dischage without pulling the trigger than that is a big issue.

The article clearly states that Taurus' models have a defect where the gun can discharge without the trigger being pulled. Meaning, the gun should not have gone off, unless the trigger was pulled. Yes gun safety is key, and yes he should've been pointing it down range while reloading or AT LEAST not pointing it in the direction of other people. But that does NOT excuse Taurus.. That gun shouldn't have gone off without the trigger being pulled.

"Taurus pistol designs have an alleged defect that allows the gun to fire while the safety is engaged."

IF this is true...This is unnacceptable.

Last edited:
Here's my mental interpretation: He butted the mag up into the gun, which jarred the slide loose and stripped a round at least partially into the chamber. Then, cradling the gun in his left hand with palm covering muzzle, and the rear of the gun propped against his chest or belly, he butted the magazine again, causing a "jar off," putting a bullet through his hand and onward to wife and kid. Stupidity on his part, and I'm guessing a poorly designed fire control on Taurus' part.

Try it (with unloaded gun, of course) and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The only thing I can figure is that he was bumping the mag with the fingers of the bumping hand aligned with the muzzle and curled upwards.

If his hand were large and/or the gun were small (and it was) then the fingers could have gotten into the danger zone.

Picture something like what's happening in the image below, but with a much smaller gun and with the shooter's weak hand fingers curled upwards. I could see them getting in front of the muzzle.

100_3091.jpg

Whether or not the gun was pointed in a safe direction is immaterial in regard to there being a defect if the gun went off when it was not supposed to go off. That people were injured or killed just ups the settlement. Taurus has already lost one or more suits for this problem and has others pending. People should not have been hurt, but then again, as per the suits, the guns should not have gone off.

We have safety rules in case stuff like this should happen, but the safety rules are not legally binding and don't absolve the manufacturer from responsibility. This point has been hammered home with numerous cases, many of which Remington learned about the hard way.

And yes, this is definitely bad news for Taurus.

Good riddance to them, a crappy manufacturer with a long long history of crappy customer service! BTW, this defect is very well known, there has been a video on youtube for years now depicting the exact malfunction described in the lawsuit, in which two Brazilian cops or some such, fire the highly dangerous Taurus 24/7 pistol simply by shaking it a bit!

Never seen a gun go off by itself. 40 plus years, hundreds of different guns and pistols. Not saying it could not happen, but with Taurus normal 50lb trigger. I see it hard to happen. One always looks to blame someone else when the outcome is bad. Look at his other choice-- I did it by mistake- Prison for life. Noooo- The gun went off on it's own. In the end he has to live with it. As others have said-Bad for guns, bad for us, good for the Anti's for sure.

I assume this pistol is striker fired. Must be a tolerance issue between the slide and frame. I don't like striker fired pistols, too many accidental discharges in the things anyway, from people sticking their fingers in the trigger guard. The hammer guns, the sear mechanism and the hammer are both located in the frame, can be jarred out of engagement, but these striker fired pistols, the firing pin and the sear mechanism that holds it, one is in the frame, the other in the slide. Anyway that is my guess.

Must be a tolerance issue between the slide and frame.
I'd say that's a pretty good bet.

There's a popular striker-fired gun by a well-respected major maker on the market right now that exhibits a very noticeable upward jump of the slide when the gun is dryfired. That much play between the slide and frame on a striker-fired gun worries me...

Unlike other people, when I see things like this, I put the burden of proof on the complainant.

People lie. Case after case in the big Toyota scandal, it turned out that it was either obvious driver error, deliberate misuse, accidental misuse or even a bald faced lie. We have on o y one person's word about how oily t happened. He killed his child misusing a gun. Plenty of incentive to lie. I have serious doubts about the legitimacy of his claim that the pistol discharged without his interference.

Here, many y ears ago, a guy was out fishing and apparently drinking with three children. They wound up in the middle of a railroad trestle with trespassing signs at both ends. There were other crossing points. He claimed that the kids were solely responsible. He also claimed that the train was running at excessive speed, yet the recorder proved that it wasn't true.

A huge settlement was given to the mother. He is known to have taken a lot of it. No facts that left the rail company at fault. Guilt was presumed.

briandg- Man I was with you all the way, until this thread. I have seen more of it now then I could have ever imagined. Was an eye opener for me to say the least

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but a guy who points a gun at wife and child and hammer a magazine into a pistols already has a round in the chamber, well, he's just wrong. On top of that, do we even remotely know that he told the truth, or did he just find out that the gun had a reputation for danger, and take advantage of it? Law firms have search teams that expend enormous amounts of resources looking for situations like this.

It cost Toyota millions of dollars paying false claims. There were people who jus simply lied, and the data recorders proved. People lie, and a history of failures isn't proof that the thing wasn't a negligent discharge.

If you are wondering about the train, tat case was famous. Witnesses said that the kids were playing on the trestle. There were questions about whether he actually sent them up there to get them out of the way. The train travels at 30 mph in that area. The horn can be heard for two or more miles away. Three children died, a lot of money was paid, he stole most of it and went on to live a life full of other larceny.

Those kids died because he had charge of them and he left them in front of a train,and rather than prison time for negligent manslaughter he wasn't prosecuted. There was enough ambiguity to make charges pointless.

My point is, that the guy had an ad, and the assumption is that he was not at fault for that ad. We don't even know that his gun was actually defective, do we?

Our torte system is distorted. Not much more to say

Sun of a Bee!

I sold my PT-138 about 4 months ago for less than what Taurus is offering in the settlement ($200). And... the ONLY reason I had held onto that piece of crap for so long was because it was worth next to nothing.

Such is life, I guess... :(

Unlike other people, when I see things like this, I put the burden of proof on the complainant.

Which "things" are you referring to?

It's a fact that the cops in Sau Paolo complained to Taurus that they had a defect with their guns and a recall followed.

It's also true that the burden of proof is always with the person making the complaint, so taking that stand really ain't a bold move, more of an everyday one.

The fella who shot his wife and son has just filed a suit...that was the news...not that he had won. You can see here that most folks, who have spoken to it, are skeptical of his claims and do not assume that Taurus are to blame in that case.

The cop in Kentucky? No facts are given on the specifics of that so how can we have an opinion one way or the other?

But the videos and news do mean that Taurus has two issues. One it seems that they have produced some guns with defects...that's why the recalls. Two, the news of the recalls and issues with their guns has encouraged lawyers and maybe folks with grievances and the unscrupulous to look for reasons to file suits, or become parts of class action suits. Those are two problems Taurus has.

tipoc

Back