More .45-70 Experience with the Ruger No 1

Okay, I see a few more ideas here--which I'm happy to try. I think I'll get my bidnith together and lay out a test plan so I'm not changing 4 things at once and expecting to see a pattern. I can answer some questions though:

I'm using a Leupold fixed 6x36 scope, and I've measured an 0.008" gap between the receiver and the aft end of the scope mounting rail.

To my great amazement, the bore is not only free of any lead, it's free of any residue or visible debris of any kind--there is no way I could run a patch through that barrel and possibly have it be any cleaner or brighter.

I definitely like the idea of having someone else shoot it. But first, I'm going to take the advice so many have given me, and go all the way down to some SAAMI / Marlin level loads using a single bullet: the 300 gr Hornady HP which I have enough of to do some real testing.

I do have an adjustable trigger on the way and probably won't be able to resist the urge to put it in--but if so, at least it will remain a constant.

Hey Bongo, sorry to hear your hard luck story with the .45-70. I've got a couple things for you to try, BEFORE you do anything else....

Buy a box of FACTORY ammo. Shoot a few rounds and if its going 4-5inches, REPLACE THE SCOPE!!!!!

Or just take it off and shoot a group with the iron sights and see what happens.

Don't mess with anything in the forearm (for now) take a look at the scope.

A friend had a somewhat similar situation with his No.1 .45-70 and an older Leupold scope. He shot "gorilla" loads, and literally, broke the scope. Scope looked fine, adjusted ok, but was broke, so that the crosshairs literally jumped to a "new spot" every time a shot was fired. This MIGHT be your problem!

Try some factory ammo (standard 405gr stuff) for consistency, and iron sights or a different scope and see what happens.

My friend sent the scope back to Leupold, and they said it was broke, and they fixed it. Said a .45-70 shouldn't have broken it, but it did so, they fixed it. Today that repaired scope on the same rifle does teeny groups at 100yds.

SO, don't change anything else, until you're CERTAIN the scope isn't the problem. And get back to us what you find out, ok?

.45-70s are one of the most forgiving rounds, usually shooting fairly well with about everything and exceptionally well with some loads.

I'm willing to bet your scope is kerflumixed somehow, and the same scope has been a constant with all your shooting, right???

Try something else, and let us know if it makes a difference, and what kind.

Good Luck!

You might find some value in this link..

https://www.shootersforum.com/singl...-different-approach-w-pictures-round-2-a.html

If I were you I would pick ONE bullet and work with it until it demonstrates it is not accurate. Then try a different bullet.

I can throw rocks better than 4" at 50 yards. Make sure every step of your shooting process is exactly the same ... every time ... same engagement with the rest, same engagement with your shoulder, same sighting, same trigger pull, same breathing, same everything.

I get different results from my #1V just by moving forward or back in the rest.

The 45-70 is the easiest cartridge there is to load for. I have a Pedersoli Sharps, A Winchester High Wall, and a Winchester 1886. The least accurate one of those three is the 1886, and it will shoot five shots consistently into less than 1.7" at my 114yd range. The Pedersoli Sharps and the Win High Wall will shoot sub 1moa with several loads. I owned one Ruger #1 years ago in 25-06 and finally gave up on trying to get it to shoot. I'd check the scope to make sure it's not the scope and then I'd be looking for another gun.

and the same scope has been a constant with all your shooting, right???

Yes.

I have an old Weaver scope I may be able to mount for comparison--it would make an interesting experiment if nothing else.

Thanks also for the link, flashole...I really feel the need to do something different with this forearm nightmare, and that approach seems solid. Currently, I can squeeze the barrel-forearm and get a boatload of flex between the two--which makes no sense to me. If the forearm is screwed up tight to the hanger and the hanger is being stressed against the barrel with the 'accurizer' screw, then there shouldn't be any flex. I think the whole setup is goofy, but the accurizer makes it even goofier.

Last edited:
:D This is an 'oh my god' moment if ever there was one...a special thanks to AMP 44 and the suggestion my issue might be the scope. Glory be!!!

I removed the Leupold and thankfully had a taller set of Ruger scope rings that came with the rifle, to mount a 40 year old Bushnell Banner variable that dad had mounted on a Mossberg slug gun.

After some zeroing in...where each and every pair of sighting-in shots touched one another--I was able to do this 2 1/2" group at 100 yds...with a hot barrel.

These are with 300 gr Hornady HP bullets and 46 gr of 4198. I got a similar group with 42 gr 4198 and 350 gr RN jacketed (also Hornady, I think), and a group with 2" potential at 75 yds with my 420 gr flat point cast bullets over 42 gr of 4198.

All rounds were shot indoors from a rickety rest taped together with electrical tape (literally), and using my new Jard trigger setup. I think I am now finally at the point where there's actually something I can do as the shooter to tighten these groups up a bit....but I'm ecstatic.

Finally_zpskxk16z8j.jpg

Giddy with excitement, actually. Thanks again to everyone, but especially my automag friend for the suggestion I would have never thought of. You've saved me a lot of grief and probably a lot of money, as well.

Last edited:
LOL. Just kidding you.

If I were you, I'd pay more attention to 44AMP (among others) too. :)

There really is a ton of experience on this board.

44AMP is good. 44AMP is kind. 44AMP is wise. 44AMP has the knowing of many things. Listen to 44AMP.......Roll the map!!!
:D:D:rolleyes:

Glad its working for ya, Bongo.

Once in a while, I actually get things right. ;) I think that's two you owe me, now.:D

So, when we someday meet in that great range in the sky (or in my case, that really warm underground range...:rolleyes:)

You're buyin'!

Good Luck, and if I can help again, just ask. I might even be right.

Happy to buy a round or two!

What makes me especially hopeful is that I was shooting from a nasty, jiggly rest and had no choice but to rest the gun way out on the forearm--1/2 way out at least. So my point bein', I think under better conditions, maybe some forearm bedding and a somewhat less toasty barrel, maybe real groups will be mine at last.

I also think I should have little trouble doing fairly well with both my 325 gr and 420 gr cast bullets. Life is worth living again. :)

While the Leupold was out in the shop I picked up a Skinner rear peep and installed it. Got out to the range a couple of weeks ago and had some more fun. I managed a group about 1 1/2" wide by 3 1/2" tall at 50 yds with a toasty hot tube.

I was running a lot of 420gr cast over 45 gr 3031, and after a while that provided a pretty good wallopin'. Anyway, that 'group', if you want to call it that, is still as good if not better than shooting with a busted scope, so good times all 'round.

Wish I didn't have to choose between the two setups, but it's the peep or the scope--pick one. I've got the scope back from Leupold now, and they claim to have replaced a few parts--but I like the looks of the rifle so much more with the peep sight, I may just leave it on and see what I can do with it and some less-punishing loads.

As a final update, because I know everyone is on the edge of their seats, I filled the buttstock retainer bolt hole with about 12+ oz of lead shot, and installed a massive Limbsaver express rifle recoil pad (it's one of those 1 1/2" thick babys). Oh my goodness, far more improvement than I'd ever expected.

Last edited:
Back