Modular Handgun System (former Joint Combat Pistol): Which caliber would be best?

future sidearm for the US forces: Which caliber fits best?

• 5,7 x 28mm

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • 9 x 19mm

Votes: 31 42.5%
  • .40 S&W

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • .45 ACP

Votes: 25 34.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The military's on the edge of being scrapped... I cant see anything other than a few major weapons systems being funded... UAV's are the wave of the future but we have yet to figure out that UAVs cant hold ground, check ids or interact in a positive way with locals...

NATO has lost a lot of its umph and the only serious threat IMHO is China.. NATO will linger as it has been but IMHO its all but washed up... No we will keep our m9s and Ar's for the foreseeable future despite some fairly unhappy troops here and there.... Its like a forever repeating cycle...

The military's on the edge of being scrapped...

Thanks for the view from Mars :D

Hey, it is your location choice......

There are always some unhappy troops. But weapons choices are not made by voting corporals. So, yes, the M9 pistol and the M16 rifle plus M4 carbine will stay in US inventory for a long time.

But innovation is not dead. Look at the US Marine Corps. They have put into service, into combat, a revolving 40mm grenade launcher and a new automatic rifle (the M27 Individual Automatic Rifle) to move the M249 squad automatic weapon (SAW) out of the rifle squads.

And more important, the IAR has only a 2-digit model number! It is insanity to have 3- and 4-digit models of anything! I mean, isn't the HUMVEE the M1114 or something?

Bart Noir
Who steps down from the labeling soapbox.

Hard informations is difficult to come by without a lot of digging and even then, it's probably dated. Be that as it may be, however, an rifle company in a light (non-mechanized) infantry battalion only has about 11 pistols. They could be using 1903 FN pistols in 9mm Browning Long and the impact on the world would go unnoticed.

Thanks for the view from Mars

Hey, it is your location choice......

Mark my words the military will take deep reductions and then continued to be hobbled by ever more PC rules... The winds of change weren't terribly military friendly when I retired from the Army and I cant believe its any better now...

Its not that the military itself will end but our military supremacy will.. In any case no, I see few new approved guns on the horizon...

simonrichter, this is an old thread but I see you keep updating it.

While I totally agree that the current caliber has questionable usefulness, I don't see anyone changing any time soon. Even if they wanted to change, by the time the testing was done, production wouldn't start until 2015 and in the quantity in the RFI the actual pistol would not reach the field till 2016 (an election year) good luck on them spending the money then, so say you wouldn't see any change till 2018 in the field.

I could see a change maybe in 2020 with a pistol made to use a number of different calibers with only a barrel and mag change. Something along the lines of a 40 caliber that can accept a barrel for 9 mm, 357 Sig and of course the 40 S&W. That way existing supplies and stockpiles of ammo could be used up without having to change the pistol each time (only the barrel), I am sure that since the current mags for 40 S&W can also be used for 357 Sig (better than a 9 mm) someone will develop a mag that can be used for all three calibers so only a barrel change would be needed.

Personally I prefer the 45 Auto (ACP), but what do I know, and our friends in Europe would never go along with that.
Jim

PS: My personal choice would be a CZ 75 in 40 S&W with a conversion barrel for 357 Sig. Now that would rock. I already have one in 9 mm. And this one is already NATO approved for purchase.

Last edited:
the argument that the NATO allies all use all use 9mm as a handgun and PDW caliber is only partially substantive since e.g. the Germans use the 4,6 besides the 5,56 and the 9mm, the Belgians the 5,7 etc. So it doesn't seem THAT unrealistic that the outcome of the MHS trials is going to be a new caliber. Others broke with standardization, so why not the US?

Moreover, since there are newer batches of M9 dating back to just the mid-2000s, there would be enough M9s left to use up any stockpiled 9mm ammo in any case.

That's too bad. The 9mm is only good for women and Europeans.
I have to assume that you are joking. They will continue to use 9mm .45 is only popular in America. Its not as popular in Europe possibly because the .45 has more recoil requiring extra training less mag cap plus marginal if any performance advantages over 9mm.

At the core of his desperate firefight was a murderous attacker who simply would not go down, even though he was shot 14 times with .45-cal. ammunition — six of those hits in supposedly fatal locations

armsmaster270 U.S.Coast Guard is issuing .40 Sigs.
simonrichter...But you mean .40 S&W, don't you?
He means .40 caliber Sig 229's...........since there is no other commonly encountered/popular round referred to by .40____ most folks just ignore the S&W.

Many manufacturers don't like putting a competitors name or initials on their guns.
Ex. Glock only stamps ".40" on their guns.

He means .40 caliber Sig 229's...........since there is no other commonly encountered/popular round referred to by .40____ most folks just ignore the S&W.

Many manufacturers don't like putting a competitors name or initials on their guns.
Ex. Glock only stamps ".40" on their guns.

that makes sense, of course.

Back