Modified Guns - Practical or No?

What modifications are on your HD / CC weapon(S)?

• Modified Sight(s)

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • Custom Grip

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • Other

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • None

Votes: 20 32.3%

• Total voters
All my handguns and long guns suitable for HD have been modified to some extent. Some combination of sights, updated/upgraded parts/grips/springs/action work/tactical lights/etc.

Nothing I have done makes them unsafe. Any cost will seem minimal next to my legal fees if I need to use one. Assuming I'm in the right, I'll venture a civil suit, even when won, will kill most assets I currently possess.

The $1000 or so spent on the shotgun or handgun will seem cheap if the family is OK at the end of the incident.

Last edited:
I'm not big on mods. I put better sights & grips on the Colt and a reliability package which consisted of lower the port, extended ejector, polish the feed ramp.

Other guns get next to nothing. Nite sights for the RH & Glock, rubber grips for the RH.

The 870 is the most modded gun I have and its just basically more ammo hangers front & rear and a big safety so I can nudge ut with the side of my trigger finger to release, not like I use the safety much anyway. Oh and a black chrome refinish just cause it was cheap and made the 18" police barrel match.

Trijicons on HD and CC pistols, Surefire X200 on the HD pistol, Sidesaddle on the HD shotgun.

Edit: The shotgun already had ghost ring sights from the factory.

Last edited:
I modify almost every gun I buy. I think the only two I carry for SD are a Browning HP .40S&W, and a CZ 75D PCR.
I add tritium sight inserts, grips, change revolvers to DAO, open up ejector ports on 1911's........................
Shotguns get extended magazines, sights, different barrels..................
Rifles stay fairly stock, except for better triggers, and a good tune up.

My carry guns are 1911 compacts.
The changes are:
Gunsite lowered thumb safety,
King's reverse plug, bushing, guide rod, springs
trigger job (4.5 pounds and glass rod break),
high beavertail (with pad),
feed and throat polishing,
ebony grips (the bluing is almost black),
hex recess grip screws (no chance of messing up the grips),
link checked and changed as required,
new sites (no night sites - if you cannot see the sites you most likely cannot identify the target well enough to be shooting)
Soften sharp edges
Not carried until performance over at least 1000 rounds is flawless with carry ammunition.

Back