model 88, 308 magazine

Sorry, but now I have become confused again. The .308 Win and .243 Win AFAIK, should use the exact same magazine. There should not be any “extra cutout” needed for a .243 Win if it’s not needed for the .308 Win.

Hi All
sorry if there is confusion, I tend to post what information on what I have read and researched which can be wrong or misleading in hopes some people with far more experience then me can help sort out. I am out of my home state and when I return I will send detailed pictures of the magazine that came with the rifle and the one that works, barrel identification pics, inside the receiver etc. I am sorry for the .284 posts but at one time some research showed the receiver was also cut to except a .284...I hope to be home in the next 3 weeks. below is an incredible amount of info that I used to find the magazine I needed.
http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun Articles/winchester_model_88_100_info.html.
all I got
Larry

The 284Win is not a 308 based case. The rim diameter is the same as a 308. The 284 is a rebated rim design, where the case body is larger in diameter than the case rim.

I have no knowledge of these Savage rifles, but I do know that extra consideration is necessary when designing magazines for these rebated rim cartridges.

One of the original such cartridges the 404Jefferies was scorned
by PH's in Africa because they had a tendency to jam when feeding.

I own a 6.5-284win rifle, so I know this from reading various reloading manuals.

Last edited:
Actually the 404 Jeffery was liked in Africa because it was a rimless cartridge and fed better than many of the rimmed cartridges of the time. 404 Jeffery is not a rebated cartridge as the 284 win. I shoot a 330 Dakota and make my cases from the 404 Jeffery case.

Thanks Wachtelhund. I remember reading that the RUM cartridges were based on the Jefferies cartridge, and the RUMS are rebated. Upon further reading I found that Remington's description was it being based on a modified Jefferies case.

I do remember reading that many PH didn't like the rebated rim designs because of feeding issues with the magazines. I remember reading that if a rifle failed in a crisis it was thereafter condemned, by PH's.

handlerer2, Rebated rim cartridges have a rim that is significantly smaller in diameter than the base of the case, serving only for extraction. Functionally the same as a rimless case, a rebated rim allows a gun to be easily converted to fire a larger-than-normal cartridge, as most of a gun's action (loading/extraction mechanism) does not need to be altered as long as the rim size is preserved.

The .404 Jeffery case has a base diameter of 0.545 and case rim of 0.543, 0.002" smaller, not a significant reduction and not a rebated cartridge. The RUM cases though based on the 404 Jeffery, reduced the rims from .543 inches to .532 inch to fit the bolt faces of existing magnum rifles in production. There is no real difference in feeding between rimless and rebated cartridges from magazines.

I built my 330 Dakota on a Winchester M70 action made for the 338 Win Mag. The bolt face was not opened for the 404 Jeffery case, but I form my cases from 404 Jeffery brass. I guess this is because of manufacture's built in tolerances. They feed and fire fine from the 338 bolt. My only problem is that I can only put two shells in the magazine, due to the increased case diameter.

Since first seeing and reading about Dakota rifles, I have dreamed of owning a Dakota Traveler with all the barrels. These are amazing take down rifles that rival Europe's finest.

I own a Cooper MDL22, Montana Varminter, in 6.5-284. This is a rebated rim cartridge. The MDL22 is a single shot rifle, so none of this is a consideration for me.

I was curious about them and browsed them a bit. This is where I found, what I guess was misinformation, about rebated rim cartridges.

There was a thread in the semi-auto forum, where, I can't remember the OP, he chambered an AR-10 in 284Win. He did have to fiddle with the mags to get them right, and he got them very right, because this rifle was spooky accurate. I think, this thread may have been where I got the idea that rebated rim cartridges had feeding issues historically.

Back