Model 700 Complaint

I,ve never had one open by accident. I don't walk through thick stuff with it slung, I don't want my rifle knocking into stuff and getting scratched and dented.

I have seen a bolt modification on a 700 giving it a 3-way safety, identical to the Winchester. The owner liked it.

Gentry Custom makes what appears to be a bolt shroud for the 700 that looks like the one I saw, there may be others doing the same. I do not know the cost.

If you sling your rifle in a "rapid deploy" position you shouldn't have a problem.

LP

The reason Big Green went to the open-on-safe mode of bolt operation is that the chamber can be unloaded while not having the bolt in fire mode. Safety first, foremost, and always.
Older rifles (especially those that have had the trigger adjustment screws mucked with) have been known to fire when the safety is moved to the off position after the trigger has been pulled with the safety on. This is true with all the 700 series; 721,722, 725, 700. The earlier 7 series have a 2 screw adjustment system, and the 700s have a 3 screw system. I've owned dozens of Remmys and never had an AD when taking the safety off, but there is always a first time for everything. See the safety sentence above.

Back