Model 70 7mm question

Yes.
Here are Brownell's instructions.
https://www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn/Inst-446.pdf

There are videos and other versions of procedure.
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131j0i10.gMsUYw4o2gQ

I am not a wildcatter or gunsmith but I see in the second picture that the "Vincents" is not the same font as the "7MM". The short reinforce on the barrel looks like the Winchester Featherweight profile. Which is even more perplexing, they didn't make Featherweights in 7mm anything.

I am a hobbiest machinist and relatively handy in general. Is it realistic to think that I could do a successful chamber cast?

Yes I do believe you can be successful but in this crown you can never be all you can be. I cast chambers but my method/technique requires a little coaching.

I measure chambers with blind end micrometers, I also have used arbor presses. If a press can form a case in a die think what could/can be done with an arbor press.

F. Guffey

and the winner is...

wait for it...

Scorch with his 7x57 Mauser guess.

The prize? A nice IPA or the beverage of his choice.

Very excited to go shoot this. A big thank you all who contributed to this thread.

Best,

Listener

Am I the only one that wants pics of the stock?

It was made by Al Biesen….which is very very cool. he made a few stocks for the late, great Jack O'Connor....

Pics Please!!

"I am not a wildcatter or gunsmith but I see in the second picture that the "Vincents" is not the same font as the "7MM". The short reinforce on the barrel looks like the Winchester Featherweight profile. Which is even more perplexing, they didn't make Featherweights in 7mm anything."

I noticed that very same thing on the stamping. Someone said that Winchester didn't make anything in 7MM on the Featherweight. Maybe not catalogued but possibly a special order for a customer or possibly a high ranking employee. I have seen at least one pre-64 M70 from their custom shop in .35 Whelen, way before it was a gleam in Remington's eye. Right around 1981or 2 as I recall. So a 7x57 would not be out of the question although the featherweight barrel is puzzling. Quien sabe?
Paul B.

"Am I the only one that wants pics of the stock?

It was made by Al Biesen….which is very very cool."

I second the motion. Biesen stock? kinda jealous

Back