Model 70 270 Wby born again

stagpanther

Last year a customer of mine brought me his daughter's Model 70 in 270 wby magnum to fix up and put a new scope on; trijicon's aimpoint 2.5 x 12.5. The original wood stock was in pretty bad shape, the fore end was warped (plus was filled with some really weird fiberglass and rubber cement-like stuff) and the inlets were rough, the primary bolt holes were compressed and hairline cracked and the magazine floorplate was binding because of year's of overtorqueing had distorted the bottom-metal inlet. The rifle is about 30 to 40 years old and was handed down from grand dad to dad and now it's her's.

At the time I told her it was a pretty hopeless cause (plus I'd never worked on a model 70 before) and recommended she buy a hoque overmolded stock with full-length pillar bedding--especially since she hunts often in the winter.

She did OK with it, but she said she just never liked it as much as the old stock--so I told her and her daddy I'd try my best to fix it up as best I could. Down the rabbit hole I went!

After hand grinding the foreend to free-float the barrel, the biggest problem was the lug inlet and front bolt hole--they had been badly pounded and distorted over time--plus the lug inlet was filled with some bizarre rubber-like compound (maybe that's what they did back then?) I decided to mill the inlet out and deepen it a bit, as well as put a 3/8ths steel front pillar in. All of this became a solid block of devcon plastic steel. The rear bolt hole doesn't have enough room for that so I put a 5/16ths one in there. I fashioned another pillar for where the bolt goes through the front of trigger guard to keep the bottom metal from compressing down and binding the magazine plate.

attachment.php

Much to my own surprise--it all actually works and I didn't ruin the stock!;) This afternoon I took it out to do some basic function checking, and my friend's daughter shoots exclusively weatherby's factory 150 partitions, so I had to borrow some from her to get the rifle tested. She wants it zeroed to 200 but I couldn't get that distance today due to machinery in the way, so I had to settle on 192 yds and leaving it a bit high. It took me 6 shots to get in the ballpark, I was a bit stumped on using the scope's turrets, it's a 1/4 MOA schema (so I halved that at 192 yds for approximate adjustments) but found the bullet impacts were going much further off than I thought they would. I'll have to download a manual and see what it is I'm doing wrong. After finally getting on paper and letting the barrel cool, I shot this (honest) 3 shot group (the barrel gets very hot very quickly).

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3260.jpg
    IMG_3260.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 247
  • M70 270WB 192yds factory 150partition.jpg
    M70 270WB 192yds factory 150partition.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 406
Looks great. People may like the composite stocks for its ability to be impervious to weather changes, but nothing feels like a real wood stock.

Looks great. People may like the composite stocks for its ability to be impervious to weather changes, but nothing feels like a real wood stock.
I think my friend's daughter will be happy. :)

The inside of the rifle stock was rough untreated wood--coastal Maine is a very rough environment on anything--so I gave it a couple of coats of walnut oil for preservative properties and then finished the stock inside out with artist's grade cold-pressed linseed oil.

Interesting article on the model 70 here, based on this rifle's hard buttpad I would say it was (it's a push-feed too) produced while under the ownership of USRAC. What's intriguing about this rifle is the barrel is stamped 270 wby magnum sporter made in New Haven, Conn. using winchester proof steel.

Last edited:
I have a USRAC Model 70, CRF but mine also came with some kind of glue or epoxy in the recoil lug area. Must have just been how they left the factory.

I have a USRAC Model 70, CRF but mine also came with some kind of glue or epoxy in the recoil lug area. Must have just been how they left the factory.
I was wondering about that. In the brief history outlined above the quality of manufacture took something of a hit when USRAC bought winnie--it looks like the stock prep operation went offshore. Thankfully, the receiver hardware remained good ole USA high quality. On this rifle the lug contact area was pushed back from being hammered by recoil, and when I milled out the inlet area the stuff would liquefy into goo and reform immediately wherever it flowed. Took a while to get all that crap out. Next time you have your rifle apart--check out your rear receiver bolt hole--on this rifle it was machined with a cone angle relative to the receiver--as if it were meant to allow the receiver to move back and forth. I filled that in with devcon when I put the pillar in.

The M70 still is one of the best commercially-produced receivers I have ever seen on any rifle.:D My only regret is that the barrel is not swappable by mere mortals--otherwise my safes would empty out their savages and be replaced by M70's.

Interesting side-note on Winchester's proof steel--apparently they were the only manufacturer who proofed their barrels to 150%.

Last edited:
I had it pillar bedded years back, and while it's one of my favorite rifles it doesn't usually see much use as I've still not taken up hunting. So usually the heavy barrels get priority for the range trips. I absolutely love the model 70 though. I have another FN/Browning built one with a heavy barrel and came with a Bell and Carlson stock (another CRF). It's since been dropped into a mcmillan A3 so it gets mistaken for an FN SPR

Nice! I'm not as hung up on the CRF's as others are--in fact now that production has gone back to them maybe the push-feeds will become a rarity. I once read a comment by an African big game hunter that unless he planned taking shots hanging upside down from a tree he didn't miss the CRF bolt.;)

I know I dont need it. But I do like the robustness of it. I am hoping I never need to rebarrel either of them haha. Cost me as much as just buying a new one from what I can gather.

I sometimes wonder if what makes the Model 70 shoot so well is the fact that it has that huge intregal lug father back compared to other rifles giving it better "harmonic balance?" Also wonder if Winnie somehow came up with a design that made barrel swap-outs easier if the model 70 sales wouldn't sky-rocket--I bet they would even at a higher price point. I think the market is burned out on lower priced budget niche rifles.

(the barrel gets very hot very quickly)

I have no idea of the truth of this, but my Dad used to say that old man Weatherby built his guns like that on purpose, cause if you more than 3 shots you shouldn't be shooting, or something to that effect. I can't recall the exact quote.

If proofing a barrel to 150% means using proof ammo producing peak pressures 50% over normal, then with the 270 Wby Mag standard SAAMI mass pressure spec of 62,500 psi, the proof loads need to produce 93,750 psi. SAAMI proof loads are 89,500 psi

The reason most factory rifles limit accuracy claims to 3 shots per group is their barrels are tightened to touch hard at only one point around the receiver face. It's not squared up to the barrel threads axis. As metal expands as it heats up, barrel vibration axis is maximum at that direction stringing shots that way.

Properly built rifles have receiver face squared up and will shoot several dozen shots under a quarter MOA starting out with a cold barrel firing several shots a minute.

Last edited:
I sometimes wonder if what makes the Model 70 shoot so well is the fact that it has that huge intregal lug father back compared to other rifles giving it better "harmonic balance?" Also wonder if Winnie somehow came up with a design that made barrel swap-outs easier if the model 70 sales wouldn't sky-rocket--I bet they would even at a higher price point. I think the market is burned out on lower priced budget niche rifles.
The main reason box magazine Model 70 receivers produce better accuracy is they have flat bottom and side square inches that resists twisting loose when properly epoxy bedding is done.

In second place is the fact that they're well over twice as stiff in the vertical plane as the round ones. Barrels whip less while bullets go through them.

They've also proved much more reliable in rapid fire matches when 10 shots were fired in less than 45 seconds.

The push feed 70's can be easily made barrel swapping easy with a 1/8ths inch longer shank and a tenth inch thick 1 inch 16 tpi nut, duplicating the Savage method

Last edited:
I keep worrying I"m gonna go on the winchester website and see the model 70 discontinued (again) in favor of their cheaper push feed series.

The push feed 70's can be easily made barrel swapping easy with a 1/8ths inch longer shank and a tenth inch thick 1 inch 16 tpi nut, duplicating the Savage method
I was fantasizing about that very thing--so essentially your backing the nut up against the lug face to lock the proper headspace in place? I'd love to see some details somewhere. Thanks for that.

The model 70 is a traditional and classic rifle that hearkens back to a time when if a man needed a rifle, he didn't need ten of them and likely couldn't afford more than needed. You don't need to change the barrel on such a rifle. It will last through generations of big game hunts. Now a serious high-volume shooter might actually wear out a barrel, like maybe some of you guys.....

I guess I have to get one--but I'm torn between buying new or looking around for a good used one. I called winchester and begged them to make me a push feed--ain't gonna happen. LOL

Last edited:
I've never spent much time with the post 64 push feeds. Don't they have a newer push feed out? No idea how similar they are.

Back