Model 29

the "6" doesn't always mean it's a stainless gun though, the 625s were 45ACP and 45LC gun model designations while the two were both in production if I remember correct(one or the other was a 625 for a short time).

There are a few that don't match up but in general a "6" denotes the gun is a stainless version of the model that is designated by the next two following numbers.

28s are 357 "highway patrolman" N-frame revolvers, I think all are matte blued.

27s are 357 N-framed revolvers, typically got the high polished blue.

29s are 44mags N-framed revolvers, various blued finishes.

I haven't followed the lineage of the N-frame revolvers much anymore since S&W made the STOOOOPID! decision to switch over to all stainless revolvers, yuckie! GIVE ME THE DEEP BLUE OF YESTERYEAR!

I just passed up a pretty nice 98+% condition Model 28 with a 6 inch barrel, for 430 dollars it wasn't quite what I wanted for it not being NIB or without box for that matter.

The N-frames I'm most interested in getting are a M29 blued 6 inch barreled 44mag, a 6inch barreled M27 357mag, and a 6 inch barreled M625 45LongColt.

Uglygun,

sorry to disagree, but the M25 is the .45 ACP or .45 Colt N frame in blued steel. The 625 is the same thing in stainless steel (I have a 625-5 Classic in .45 Colt). A three digit 6xx model number in a S&W revolver is most definitely SS, although some have been produced with black finishes on the SS guns. Now a two digit number (i.e. 60) is also stainless, although not an N frame.

Maybe that was it then where I saw a 625 that was indeed stainless but the finish was something that made me think it was blued steel.

It certainly gets confusing at times, it literally has been years since I've kept track of what has been going on with the models.

Tomorrow I'm heading out to a shop to likely put down some money on a NIB Model 27 5 inch barrel and to put down money on either a NIB 45LC model 25 or NIB 44Mag model 29. I'd like to put money down on all three but can't afford to. The decision between the 45LC and the 44Mag will be a hard one to make depending on how much I like the two guns. All of the guns I'm going to look at are definitely blued carbon steel, I seriously have a love affair for all N-frames provided they are blued. I'm very likely gonna snag up the 27 right there on the spot, it's replacing a fairly well used model 38-44 Outdoorsman that I'm retiring to occasional use and will use the 27 in it's place.

Dick.........you drove me to the books. Seems that all (cept custom) Model 29 Classics have full lug barrel, regardless of barrel length. And come in blue only.

Glad my pocket 29 has short lug or I would truly walk funny.

Blued 586 with 686 stamped on the frame under the crane sounds like a factory error. Can happen. I got ahold of a misstamped 696 not long ago. Some really deep collectors look for the odd balls.

Although, there are some stainless guns that have been coated to look like blued real steel. I have yet to see one tho that actually looked like it was blued.

Sam

Back