Model 29

REDHAWK -- the MEANING OF (S&W's) LIFE

M29 refers to the old gun that rotated its cylinder backward when firing heavy loads; the M629 rotates correctly longer.

the 29 was their carbon steel (blue or nickle) model line of 44 mag. When they started making stainless steel they phased out the 29 line. The 6 in 629 means it is stainless and 29 is 44Mag line. 6 in front of a model desination number again. means stainless.

627=Stainless .357 Magnum N-frame
27= Blue steel .357 Magnum N-frame
657=Stainless .41 Magnum N-frame
57= Blue steel .41 Magnum N-frame
629=Stainless .44 Magnum N-frame
29= See the pattern forming here? ;)

Don't laugh, I had one of those backward rotating S&W's but mine was a 629. I even sent it back to Smith for repair but they wanted over $200 to fix it. Only after I had traded it for a Redhawk did I find out that a new spring probably would have solved the problem. Should have taken it to a local gunsmith for repair but, at the time, I thought Smith would do the right thing.

The strength of a real steel Ruger with the lockwork of a Smith, I'm dreamin.

"My strength is as the strength of ten for my heart is pure." Said Sir Lancelot........while boffing the Kings ol lady.

Sam

Uh... okay. :confused:

If you want a S&W that is built like a tank get a 610... an unfluted cylnder .44 Magnum N-frame with a .400" bore. I don't know what S&W were thinking at the time, but it is a beautiful thing. :cool:

I must have sailed under a lucky star. I have a 29 that has had the hell shot out of it and still locks up like new!

NOT FUNNY ------- FACT

Okay, maybe a wee bit funny. Hell, I'm still laughin'.

But I noticed no disagreement.......hmmm.......and I prefer the trigger action and feel (okay, so I'm not totally enamored with the overtravel) of my Redhawks.
Smith triggers feel funny to me. Go figure.

Oh, I'm a DA man.

About five or so years ago, I bought a 29 Classic, which was a blued stainless model with a full underlug and gold "Smith and Wesson 29 Classic" stamping. For some weird reason long forgotten I traded it a week later without having even fired it. I've looked for them on and off over the years, but never have come across one.

The other day at the range, a guy I know had a 29 Classic. When we got to talking about the timing of my sale and his purchase, we realized it was my gun. And he doesn't want to sell it. :(

What are the odds?

"... 29 Classic, which was a blued stainless model ..."

You shure ? I'd bet a penny it was real steel, not stainless.

Sam

C.R. Sam, that's what the current owner told me. However, I've never been able to document the blued-stainless issue, so I'll defer to you.

Still, I kick myself for ever selling the gun. It was a real beauty.

LESSON HERE

Never ever ever sell a gun (okay, so I sold a Glock, but that doesn't count. Know what I mean?)

----------------------------------------------

"all my handguns are unsold handguns"

WS2...:D

Dick..............possible but highly unlikely. Would normally have been a 629 if stainless. 29 if not. Note my max bet is a penny.

Sam

Sam, the same guy was at the range today with the 29 Classic. It's not blued stainless, it's blued steel. But it has a full underlug just like the 629. Here's a link to one on gunbroker.com that has a photo.

He also had another interesting Smith. It looks identical to the 586 (blued, .357, full underlug) but it's stamped 686. I couldn't see any difference between that gun and a regular 586.

Back