Model 12 made in 1960

I've got a 1925 with a full choke and that thing shoots like a rifle, I mean it has a TIGHT pattern. It's re-blued which I don't mind but I hate the non-original wood. I need to do something about that.

He's right, they don't make them the way they used to.

Prior to the introduction of the modern plastic shot column (in the 1950s) the pellets on the outside edge of the shot column were in contact with the barrel on the way out. This produced flat spots on the pellets (lead rubbing on steel), making the pellets out of round, and they would tend to fly "away" from the rest of the shot column.

Since shotguns are rated for their choke on the percentage of pellets that hit within a 30" circle at 40yds (full choke being 70%) to deliver the needed percentage for full choke inspite of the flyers, the barrels were choked "tight" (smaller bore diameter, to squeeze the shot column tighter).

With the introduction of plastic shot cups, shot was no longer deformed by the barrel, flew straighter, and yielded a higher percentage of hits inside that circle. Full choke guns shooting the "new" shells pattern extra full or higher. Modified choke guns were delivering full choke percentages, and so on.

SO, when plastic shot cups (and their shells) became the industry standard, the amount of choke needed in the barrels was, overall, reduced.

A full choke barrel, made in 1970- has a measurably larger bore at the muzzle than a full choke gun made in 1930. See my previous post.

Would that be choked on school??.............many of us children of the 60-70s did that!
What perhaps has not been talked about in this thread is the way a Model 12 "just fits"
For me picking up an off the shelf standard model 12 just feels like a natural extension of....... me!
Next on my Winchester list is an SX-1, have heard they fit and feel like a Model 12. Have handled a couple, but have yet to shoot one.
Had my eye on a inexpensive SX-1, but found an LC Smith single barrel trap I just had to have.
But I do plan on an SX-1 too. I'm just too much of a clutz to shoot doubles with a pump, guess I should try tho. Maybe next week.

I'd love to find myself a 20 or 16 gauge Model 12 with a modern chamber.

The only problem is, every time I find one for sale, the owner thinks it's made of unicorn farts filled with unobtainium and plated with gold.

I found an entire front, barrel and magazine at a gun show to match my gun so I will cut that down into a trench gun and still have the factory front end. Sweet!

Shotshells in the years before WWII were often different lengths than todays shells. I believe the common length for 16 gauge was either 2 and 7/16 or 2 and 9/16 inches.

With the Winchester, chambers can often be cut to modern length.

My old model 12 I think I got this in 1955 my first shotgun.

407546926.jpg

407546923.jpg

407546924.jpg

Last edited:
Back