Mississippi legal question please.

I've never committed a single crime in my life, but I've always been told, "since your social is out of state, there's a 72 hour hold on your purchase." I always thought it was just business as usual. after three days, I've always been released to take possession of my firearms. I'll even put my wife, Jo, on here. She thought it was weird as hell too. For a lot of years, she thought it was because of my military background or because I'm Sioux Indian. It happens every time I buy a firearm in Mississippi, without fail. I alwys have to wait the 72 hr. period.

BTW, I've got every one of my weapons registered in my name. My 12 ga. shotgun, my AR-15, my Remington Model 7400 .270 deer rifle and my M1911A1 and my 92FS mm handguns. Hell, I thought that was the way MS law worked.

Nukenjim... you got me...

I misread your post... you wrote "straw buyer' and I saw "straw purchaser" maybe?

My only real gripe was the stupid BAFTE regulations.

C-Jackson:

what do you mean by 'social out of state'? what exactly does that mean.... if I read that right...how in the world can an FFL know where your social security number was issued and what in the world would that have to do with anything anyway....

At one time the first three numbers in your social was a geographical code to where the # was issued, I think they have quit doing that though.

The first three digits in anybody's SSN denotes the State they come from. Although, higher population counts lead to different numbers within that particular State, eg. New York, California, Florida, etc. lead to a change on the second digit and, in many cases, denotation in the -xx identity within the State itself. For instance, the first three digits of your Social indicate the State/ or area inside the State in higher populace ( kind of like an area code), the second two digits narrow you down to where you were in that particular State/region of the State at the time of your birth, the last four indicate which application for said SSN you were at the time it was applied for when your birth certificate was authenticated by the Social Security Administration. The first three of mine are 504, denoting SD ( low population density, almost everybody from SD has this as their first three). In MS, it seems to be a red-flag even though I've spent almost two-thirds of my life here. Look this one up, guys, especially those of you fact-finders. It's like a serial number for humans being, at least those of us calling ourselves US citizens.

Last edited:
c. jackson said:
I've never committed a single crime in my life, but I've always been told, "since your social is out of state, there's a 72 hour hold on your purchase." I always thought it was just business as usual.
I don't believe I have ever given out my social security number when purchasing a firearm. It says on the form "optional" for that box. I know what "optional" means, so I "opt" to leave that blank.

But my last name isn't Smith or Jones, and my first name is even less common than my family name, so the likelihood of there being a prohibited person with the same name within 5,000 miles is negligible.

c-jackson

Horse Puckey!

If the whole "area code means you wait 72 hours" deal is correct, then why am I able to go to the store and buy any gun I want without a waiting period whatsoever? I was not born in Alaska, my SSN did not originate from Alaska, I have no form of Alaska ID, and I have never had any sort of waiting period.

#1 Do you have a Mississippi driver's license?
#2 (Referring to post #22) Where and how, exactly, do you have your firearms "registered"? There is no federal registry and there is no registry in the state of Mississippi... So how/where/why exactly???

My guess is that you're dealing with an FFL who does not know the law in its current form.

Call the BATFE Oxford field office @ (662) 234-3751, tell them what's going on, and find out for sure.

Or you could just stop putting your SSN on the 4473; it's an optional block, not required.

The Chicago Tribune story is strange in several respects.

It must have been a very nice S&W .45 that he "paid $1,500" to buy, particularly since it was supposedly to be sold "at an estimated 100 percent markup." Chicago gang members must have lots of money to burn.

Regarding the gun's serial number being traced in seven hours:

By then, Gates' trafficking scheme, including Elliot's role in it, had long been uncovered by a Chicago police and ATF task force.

It also seems strange that the purchaser was charged, tried, and convicted of falsifying the 4473 so quickly that he didn't know the gun was used in a murder.

Back