Missing American in Australia

This has nothing to do with guns, but ...

I don't know how much you've heard in your news, but an American "tourist" (Bogucki?) has gone missing in the Kimberley region of Western Australia.

He's been gone for 3 weeks, since they found his pushbike and some personal belongings near a place called Sandfire. (The a**hole of the earth IMHO.)

His parents called in an American "Special Rescue Group" (reportedly at a cost of $35 000) to try to, at least, find his body and take it back to the USA. Tonight they announced they had failed and were calling off the search.

Note that this was after the local police, using Aboriginal trackers, had already called off their search.

Fellas (and ladies), I've lived in the Kimberley (at Broome actually), and it is unique. There is nowhere else like it on earth -- not even Death Valley is the same. Imagine Death Valley in the Tropics??

It's not a "desert" for a start (which is how it's reported). Sure, there's very little free water, and even this time of year (the "cool" season) temps are around 95 degrees F. But the ground (bright orange/red soil) is covered with spinifex -- and King Brown snakes. They are deadly -- one of the deadliest in the world from memory. They also are quite "arrogant" and don't flee as readily as some others. They can be up to 5 feet long.

They had a lot of rain there this year, and the ground cover is over waist high. The man could've been six feet from them and they would never have seen him.

I've seen spinifex stakes punch clean through a 20-ply 4WD tyre (tire), so imagine what that could do to your feet. And Bogucki was reported to be walking barefoot and at night -- when he wouldn't be able to see zilch. Of course, the question is "why?".

I have immense faith in Aboriginal trackers -- those guys are almost supernatural in their abilities. But they couldn't find him, even though they did find his tracks.

Putting it all together, I venture to say Mr Bogucki didn't want to be found. Why? No idea. But I've seen people go "troppo" up there many times. It's insidious and no one is immune.

I'm not saying that is the reason, just offering it up for discussion.

I am so sorry for his parents. If any of my children went missing in a "foreign" country, I would be beside myself. We're not really "foreign", but I understand the feeling.

Just submitted in the public interest.

Any questions, please ask.

B

[This message has been edited by Bruce from West Oz (edited August 20, 1999).]

Bruce:

I agree...it could be a case of suicide by exotic means. On the other hand, the guy could have been a wannabe trekker (or even an experienced one)who violated one of Inspector Harry Callahan's maxims: "A mans got to know his limitations."

As for his family, I'm sure they were desperate and someone convinced them that this team from the US was "...the best..."
An unfortunate attitude found in many US citizens is the belief that everything we have the capability of doing or making in the US is better than anywhere else in the world. This feeling is most often held by those who have not had the privilege of living overseas for extended periods of time. But this is a trait I've found in people in various parts of the world, regardless of whether 1st, 2d or 3d world. Guess it's just human nature.

That region sounds rough, and who knows what effects you,,,,,,why was the guy walking if he had a push bike? Had it broken, or was he just deciding to go off on a jaunt from his temporary base camp?
Its funny the notions people have in general about local or indigenous peoples---when I was in the best shape of my life, running constantly, swimming daily etc., I was offered the opportunity to accompany a group of islanders on a weekend excursion were the polynesians were training the younger ones in the old warrior ways---Iwas in my late 20's, had already had a damaged back and knee, but i was tight as i could be. I played hell keeping up with these folks, they were walking barefoot and dropping 6-8-10 at a time down mountain slopes, just take a step off and drop, I barely kept up and was trying....lol.....those young guys were something else.....fubsy.

Bruce, quite an interesting theory. This is a time when many feel the pressure and seeming hopelessness of their daily existence and decide to "opt out". Perhaps he's one of the smart ones.

My own pet term is "societal canaries". Reminiscent of years ago when miners carried canaries into coal mines to warn them (by their kicking the suet bucket) of dangerous mine conditions, we are seeing a similar phenomenon today. People are "done" with today's society and the way things are, the pressures, restrictions, inability to cope due to lack of maturity, faith, or more traditional values, and they, as I call it, "fall off the perch". Their falling consists of shooting up schoolyards, office buildings, setting bombs, murdering visitors and workers in national parks, sensationalized suicides, grossly irrational actions or deeds, things like that. If he decided to head out on his own walkabout, then this man's actions may simply be a different manifestation of this reaction. Keep in mind, though, that this is just my own pet term and theory.

On a slightly different topic, however, Bruce, there are some here that would argue that Washington DC or New York/New Jersey are the a**holes of the world.

------------------
Don LeHue

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arms reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

Bruce: The story is sorta like the one Col. Cooper used to tell. There was an American that was goofy for lions, had photographs of them, went to zoos all the time to look at them,, collected lions of all types and styles (ceramic, glass, metal etc). Any way he saved his pennies and made a trip to Africa to see lions in the wild.

One day someone came to him and told him that there was a large pride of lions just outside the town (village) where he was staying. He said goodby to his friends, jumped in his rental car and left to view the lions. He never returned. After a while the friends went looking for him and just found his rental car parked along side the road. The American's movie camera (pre video) was clamped to the side window. There was no dign of the American, nothing. Trackers were called in by the local police, nothing was found.

His stuff was packed up and sent home to his family after intesive searches. Well, the family was in morning for a while and did not really examin the stuff that was sent back. After a period of time, they checked the camera and found it containd a roll of film which they had developed. When they played the movie they saw scenes of this large pride of lions sleeping about 50 feet from the road, then there was footage of the American standing outside his car, facing the camera fastened to the window, the American would walk toward teh lions and turn and wave at the camera until he was next to the sleeping BIG male lion. The next scene had him reaching down and petting said lion. end of story, case closed, mystery solved etc etc.
Lions 1, tourist 0

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Isn't it a bike without a set up for peddles?

------------------
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Isn't a push bike one of those little scooters with a tiny gas motor.....push to get it started?

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

"Push bike." "Push bike."
Would that be a two-wheeled Yugo? :D
---------

Don L,
I like your concept of "societal canaries". It seems very plausible. I wonder if the same concept is involved with multiple suicides, the ultra-high-risk "adventures" and at least some of these seemingly senseless, mutiple-victim firearms incidents.

(Psychology/psychiatry are beyond my ken.)
--------

Bruce,
Is it the King Brown Snake that is almost tan in color, very fast, extremely territorial, and bites victims multiple times?

Some months ago, there was a story on TV about some such Australian snake. If it's the same one, it is a "bad news dude" fer sure!

Going "troppo" is new to me. Sounds rather frightening. Can you tell us more about this? Is it prevalent in any hot place? Is humidity a factor? Is it related to dehydration? (Remember, I'm writing from Texas!!)

Pushbike is just a regular bicycle. Also known as pushy if your a westy and wear a flanno.(not not West Australian)
At least we in NSW don't call them treadleys like the Mexicans do.

Awwww...its a standard bike??

Guess it would have been too hard to say that in the first place huh? ;)

Rabbit...Mexicans say bicicleta. Treadley sounds like some kinda Brit tea. LOL

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

UPDATE:
Last night's news report was wrong inasmuch as the search is still on -- all else holds true. They believe the dogs picked up the scent last night.

Sorry about the "pushbike" bit -- it never occurred to me. It's just a bicycle; you "push" on the pedals with your legs to make it go, I guess.

DC:
The "Mexicans" RA is referring to are actually people from Victoria, which is "south" of New South Wales where RA is from. Hence, "Mexicans" -- you know, "south of the border, down Mexico way ..." :)

I'm a Western Australian, so I'm a "Sandgroper" ;)

Dennis: Re the King Browns
It could be the same -- KBs are territorial, usually travel in pairs, and are extremely venomous. I don't have my reference material handy, but I believe they will strike more than once. We had two of them set up house in our garage when I lived in Broome. About 5 feet long.

We couldn't find them -- so the cars stayed outside!!

"Going Troppo" is caused by a number of factors, principally the heat PLUS the humidity PLUS the isolation. November is the worst month -- they call it the "suicide" month. It's just before the Wet breaks. Every day, huge thunderclouds build up and the humidity goes through the roof. It's also hot -- over 100F every day. But until the Wet, there's no rain, no relief. People just crack up. It's hard to explain unless you've experienced it, I guess. It's a different sort of heat, very enervating. Night brings no relief, with temps staying up in the high 80s or low 90s. The hottest day I had there was in November -- working it out in my head it was about 117F (48C anyway, whatever that is in F).

When the wet finally does break (usually December), I've seen adults tear their clothes off and run naked through it with relief. Not a pretty sight ;)

Fubsy
His bike was working fine -- he just left it beside the road, along with most of his possessions. Which was fortunate in a way, because the dogs had plenty to get a scent from.

If anything else happens, I'll let you know.

B

*************HISTORY LESSON************

Hands up all those who've watched the King & I
Ok, now remember the Pushbike scene ?
Originally, Bicycles didn't have chains & peddles !
Hence the term "Push - Bike", 'cause you had to push it with your feet. ;)
Originally created in the 1816, the popular term at the time was "Dandy Horse".
Treadles attached to the rear wheel came in at 1839, invented by a Scottsman - Kirkpatrick Mac Millan.
Gavin Dalzell moved the peddles under the saddle & improved the steering in 1845.
Pierre Michaux produced a version in 1855 that had the peddles on the front wheel, known as Michaux'x Velocipede.
Brakes were introduced in 1860, about time too as a lot of feet were probably getting very hot stopping the riders ! ;)
Pierre Lallement, a mechanic that worked with Michaux, produced an improved version in 1865.
He the emigrated to America where this model was patented in 1866 & was known as the "Boneshaker".
The term Bicycle was not used until 1869, which was the year rubber tyres were introduced.
Harry J. Lawson produced the 1st chain driven bicycle in 1879 & this was finally superceded by John Kemp Starley's "Rover Safety Bicyle" in 1885.
The Rover's design has remained in use to the present day.
I was ROTHFLMAO reading the queries ! :D
Oh & btw, does anyone know how to mount a .50 BMG on a Huffy Mountain Bike?

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/

[This message has been edited by HS (edited August 21, 1999).]

Red Bull,
:D! Senators!! :D
-----

Bruce & HS,
Thanks for the info!

Apparently the first bicycles to achieve wide-spread use in Poland were the Rover bikes ref'd above. The Polish word for bicycle is "rover".

My, my. The things you can learn on TFL!

Bruce:

Going "troppo". We'd call it "cabin fever" over here. Common in Alaska or other areas where heavy winter storms force people to stay indoors much of the time. Similar to the Pacific Northwest with its heavy, constant rainfall. Lots of depression and resultant suicides, boozin', etc.

Mike

You downunder dudes gots to start talkin' proper 'merican English/lingo. Should take a course in Ameribonics. :)

- Ron V. °_°

------------------

that's one more thing i like about this place. you can learn such new and interesting things. different names for stuff, different sayings,etc... then go use them on your friends and watch their faces when they try to figure out what the hell you're saying. :D

it also helps when i happen to catch skip from down under on the cb! :)
------------------
what me worry?

[This message has been edited by longhair (edited August 21, 1999).]

Back