Missed the Mark Again!

Finally got the rifle range ready, mounted up a scope this morning. Still going to give the bedding a little longer to cure before taking it out. Right now with the scope mounted it weighs in at 10 lbs 4.4 oz suppressed, but the scope is just temporary until I can find exactly what I want. Right now I'm looking at Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18X44 or NF SHV 4-14X50 and they'll add quite a bit of weight, changed to these two scope choices after giving up on trying to keep the weight down.

I also went looking for something to test, and wound up with a case of Barnes LRX ammo for $195 delivered.

I also picked up a three boxes of Hornady Black 105 grain HPBT to try. It was surprising how much longer the 95 grain LRX bullet was than the 105 HPBT.

Thats a deal on the Barnes.

stagpanther said:
The lrx is .005 longer. Might be seated longer due to base of ogive.

It's .050" longer for the LRX (1.270"-1.220"). Not a huge difference, but looks that way in the picture.

Well I might have found a way to get to my desired weight with the rifle! Brownell's was offering Howa 1500 22" barreled actions in 6mm Creedmoor for $250 over the weekend. The deal was too good to pass up, so I ordered one and I'll be into it for about $300 after taxes and transfer fees.

I also happen to have a Howa Alpine takeoff stock in my stash. While the Howa is no great weight savings, the Bansner designed Alpine stock comes in about a pound less then the Accustock. It'll cost me between $150-200 to cut the barrel down to 18" with an adapter to mount my suppressor, but I'm thinking my goal of a 9lb suppressed hunting rifle is closer than ever.

Also in my search for a way to lighten my Savage up I had a little conversation with McMillan. It seems that they don't really want to build stocks for Savage anymore. You really only have three options the A3, A3-5, and the A5 all great tactical stocks, but they weren't what I was looking for. Also you have to send your barreled action in with bottom metal and trigger guard to be used and pay for their fitting services, and the Magnum fill is the only option now for their stocks making them all heavier than my Accustock. :(

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in McMillan Fiberglass Stocks.

We do have options for your Savage rifle. However, please note we will need the rifle’s barreled action and bottom metal/trigger guard sent in to us, to fit the rifle to the stock. We also require a magnum fill in all Savage stocks so carbon fiber is not an option. Please fill out the attached Savage check sheet and I’ll be happy to send you a list of stocks that will work with your specific rifle.

McMillan FAQ’s: https://mcmillanusa.com/faqs/

McMillan Colors & Finishes: https://mcmillanusa.com/gallery/

McMillan Marble Gallery: https://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/07/03/200-mcmillan-stock-colors-photos/

Best regards,

Gerald “Jeree” Hills

McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, Inc.
1638 W. Knudsen Drive
Phoenix, AZ 85027
Tel: 623-582-9635
Fax: 623-581-3825
www.mcmillanusa.com

Last edited:
Don't know how I missed this before.
My 6.5-284 Norma build suffered the same fate with a 'Magnum' contour Savage-style barrel, also chosen because it was the best contour for threads and suppressor use.

Long story short, that rifle turned into the long range fly swatter, weighing something like 11 lbs empty. It is currently getting restocked in a heavy laminate, for even more weight. Because, if I'm stuck prone or on a bench, what does it matter?

Something else will be used for the light rifle, eventually.

Picked up the Brownells barreled 6mm Creedmoor action today and dropped it into the Bansner (Alpine) stock I had on hand. Not a bad little rifle, just need to get mounts and rings for a scope and shoot stuff. It probably needs a little more stock fitting as well, but for now I have an idea of what it is going to be.

Well I see a lot of room on the right side of the action and the stock. I'd definitely bed the action for sure and maybe check the barrel chnnel.

Don Fisher said:
Well I see a lot of room on the right side of the action and the stock. I'd definitely bed the action for sure and maybe check the barrel chnnel.

It's mainly the angle it was shot at, it's really close to fitting. However, I'll take it to someone more skilled than me to finish it.

Back