Miss HSc 703857 - i am stunned...3 cuts on grip plate???

I never heard of a German vet who did not spend the entire war on the Eastern Front, nobody ever fought the Americans, British, or French. I don't know who it was shooting at our guys, but it seems not to have been Germans.)

I met one very elderly German gentleman at one of the beer tents at the Oktoberfest in Munchen (how does one make the umlaut dealy on a standard keybaord?) in the early 90's ...... claimed to have fought Americans in Tunisia and spent the majority of the war picking cotton in Texas ....... his two comrades, one fought the Russians as a teenager in the final year of the war and the other was too young to leave the farm ..... the things I remember the old guy saying is that "war is terrible, but one must do his duty", and that the Americans had more equipment than everybody else combined, and seemed to be everywhere at once.

Hi, Gebirg,

Not if the stories and pictures I have seen are correct. It was a gold plated (not "solid gold" - a solid gold pistol would not work) PP presented to him on his 50th birthday by Carl Walther. Aside from the normal respect for the nation's leader (who had gotten them billions of RMs in contracts), the Walthers were ardent Nazis, something they, and millions of other Germans, preferred to forget after 1945. The pistol is heavily engraved with ivory grips and is truly a work of art, as one would expect.

Several claims have been made to be "the" pistol; one man tried to pass off an ordinary Luger, asking a million dollars; another asked a similar sum for a cheap Röhm pistol. Other guns have been put forth as the Hitler suicide pistol, but that PP seems to be the most likely one.

Note that one pistol shown is described as a PPK; it is clearly a PP.

Hi, Winchester 73,

If my source is correct, that S&W would have been made in 1933; the grips are consistent with that date, plus if "Der Dicke" bought it new in 1934, 1933 would probably be right. (Edited to correct an error.)

Jim

Last edited:
So, there is few of these pistols with marinemarking in the usa?

Yes, sorry I forgot to answer. They are not around. I never saw one at a gunshow, nor one for sale even online that was authentic. I have saw Kriegsmarine stuff on the luger forum, and perhaps other places. Even then, I was not 100% sure if was seeing the genuine article. A local collector who has a collection which dwarfs mine says he has a few, but I think he said only around 5, and he has been collecting for 30 years or more.

I am fortunate enough to have a WWI P.04 luger in my collection, aka 1917 Navy Luger by DWM. I will post a few pics later.

Years ago I kad a KM HSc drectly from my buddy's father who brought it home. He was a regular infantry guy, never heard the story. He did not talk much.
Wish I had kept it. The KMs are somewhat rare, but very obtainable.

One rule of thumb regarding German pistols is that higher ranks carried smaller pieces.

Your piece does not show much if any carry evidence.
I would not lose any sleep trying to figure those marks.

I found this account of Hitler's suicide;

Günsche stated that Hitler "... sat ... sunken over, with blood dripping out of his right temple. He had shot himself with his own pistol, a Walther PPK 7.65".[43][42][44]

As well, another gun was found on his bedstand, a Walther model 8.

I'd have to check my sources, but I believe that the pistols in Hitler/Braun's chamber were acquired for them by his valet and did not belong to Hitler prior to the suicide. Hitler used his, Braun did not use hers. As far as I know, no one knows the fate of these pistols - the serial numbers don't seem to have been recorded.

I'd have to check my sources, but I believe that the pistols in Hitler/Braun's chamber were acquired for them by his valet and did not belong to Hitler prior to the suicide. Hitler used his, Braun did not use hers. As far as I know, no one knows the fate of these pistols - the serial numbers don't seem to have been recorded.

Wasn't it the Soviets who made it to the bunker first, and found the bodies outside the bunker, burned? Stands to reason that some Ruskie has it or at least took it from there. I can see it now, oiled up and hidden in a wall, because IIRC their gun laws are stricter "no, Vladimir, this was Hitler's actual pistol, Grandpa got it in Berlin in 1945...now lets have some vodka!" ;)

Back