Miss HSc 703857 - i am stunned...3 cuts on grip plate???

Gebirg

Look at this beauty, got it today - i dont now what to say...
The finish, the holster - almost brand new...
I think pistol, holster and mags has always been together since 1941...

NOTICE: the three cuts om the left grip plate high..., what could that mean???

This is one of the most...

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1839 - Kopi.jpg
    IMG_1839 - Kopi.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1840 - Kopi (2).jpg
    IMG_1840 - Kopi (2).jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1844 - Kopi.jpg
    IMG_1844 - Kopi.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 152
Number of Russians shot?
(I never heard of a German vet who did not spend the entire war on the Eastern Front, nobody ever fought the Americans, British, or French. I don't know who it was shooting at our guys, but it seems not to have been Germans.)

I was thinking the same thing. I know that American Westerns were big in Europe before the war, though I'm not 100% sure what Adolf allowed his loyal followers to watch. We all have seen Hollywood gunfighter notching grips, so maybe life was imitating art. What ever - the piece is very nice and as a historian I am very jealous.

Maybe its a reminder that third time is a charm? As in the Germans starting WWIII but winning it? Well, that's my theory!

Thats actually a very nice example. Which variation is it? Which acceptance does it have E/655 or E/135 or is it police? War time commercial?

I got a cz24 with some notches on the grip

turned out they were made by having the trigger spur from another gun rubbing on it

was a lot more interesting not knowing why the marks were there

at least on yours they don't look like they are from a spur

not knowing is sometimes better

Given the appearance of that gun, I doubt very much it was ever carried or used in combat. No way of knowing for sure the meaning of the marks.

Jim

Thank you for interesting meanings...
This is not a combat gun, and it is comercial - but it has been carried by a German offiser during ww2...The German officers, many of them had to by its own sidearm...
But i agree, it can altso be combat or gunfights (or hits) as we say...

AKB
norway

Last edited:
interesting, and in beautiful condition. Your gun does not show the WaA Pruf stamp where mine does (left side, base of triggerguard), but does seem to have the eagle/n proof on the rt side, which my gun also has.

Does yours have the WaA Pruf stamp on it, somewhere?

He called it a commercial gun, which means it only has the Eagle/N (E/N) markings (nitroproof). E/135 and E/655 are army acceptance markings, and markings like E/F, E/C, E/L and E/K are police markings.

Dont forget the HSc for Kriegsmarine

That is correct Win_73, and mu must bring along with us the HSc with Kriegsmarinemarkings...the eagle MIII/8...

Attachments

• IMG_2179 - Kopi.jpg
    IMG_2179 - Kopi.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2175 - Kopi.JPG
    IMG_2175 - Kopi.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 49
  • KM Eagle MIII 8.jpg
    KM Eagle MIII 8.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 50
Wow that's a rare bird there. I don't always mention Kriegsmarine pistols when discussing variations, because even though they exist, they are RARE and many are faked. I never encountered one for sale that I could buy, and I have never saw one in person. That's a real prize, thanks for sharing.

Here in the US, virtually every time one sees or hears of a WWII era German pistol, the phrase "carried by" or "taken from" a German Officer is included in the description. And its often true, but its not always true. Even when the term is stretched to its limits, to include all the various "officers" in all those different Third Reich "offices" (Amts).

In the combat arms, virtually all officers had a pistol as part of their uniform. A great many enlisted ranks did as well. Mostly there were the classic combat pistols, primarily the P.08 and P.38, but many other pistols were also used. And in support organizations, the pistols carried could be almost anything.

Most German uniforms included a pistol of some kind, and dress uniform often included a dress dagger, or sword. Everything from pocket autos on up were worn by different indiviuals as part of the uniform, and while some groups were ridgidly standardized, many were not, even when they were officially supposed to be.

Considering that there were a really large number of people who's uniform called for them to wear a handgun (whether their official duties ever needed it, or not, it was part of the "proper" uniform), Germany was always short of pistols, sometimes critically so. It wasn't just soldiers, the mayor, the postman, the railroad, all kinds of bureaucrats and workers, probably even the dog catcher, all were supposed to have a pistol on their belt, in dress uniform, if not regular wear. To me, a full flap military style holster for a .25 auto seems a bit much, but rules are rules, right?

Officers, and especially higher ranking ones, in many nations have often had the ability (and sometimes the requirement) to buy their own pistols, and choices that weren't the standard issue guns were quite tolerated, generally. Goering himself had a Colt .38 revolver on him when captured.

Just to be picky, Goring's revolver was an S&W M&P in .38 Special. Göring, unlike his even more evil boss, was a gun collector, so his having a American revolver is not as odd as it seems. The gun is in the West Point Museum; it is a plain blued M&P, with no special markings. I have been unable to determine the serial number in a cursory search.

(Hitler cared little about guns and at the end had only the Walther PP he used to commit suicide and, perhaps a .25 pistol, though that is not certain.)

Jim

It is mentioned in the SCSW 3rd ed that that SN "642357" attributed to Herman Göring. It is in the West Point museum, as JK mentioned. In the pics I have saw of the revolver, the grip style is definitely a 1905 4th change type since the small silver medallions did not appear on K frame grips until the 1930s, and the 1905 4th change production began around 1916. In other words, the SN judging by the photos of the gun is probably correct. It would then officially be a 1905 4th change M&P 38 special, blue with 4in barrel, SN 642357. I read somewhere he bought it in Hamburg, Germany in 1934.

Here is a photo of his M&P he surrendered:

GOERING_REVOLVER.jpg

Below is a pic of it with the holster, his field baton (the baton was a gift for Göring from Hitler, ivory with gold and platinum inlaid eagles) then a dagger which was presented to Göring (I don't know its exact background), the book was his silver bound guest sign-in book for Carinhall (a mansion he had on his private hunting grounds) and the gold engraved pistol is a Lilliput 32, which was supposedly presented to Hitler by the Nazi Max Kehl, before WWII. Interesting that the display is all Göring except that Liliput. Perhaps it is simply a famous relics/captures of WWII display.

goeringwestpoint9me.jpg

Here are some pics of Carinhall. The guest book was fitting for such a dwelling.

Part_af_Carinhall.gif

carinhall6gi.jpg

hist_carinhall_stor.jpg

Salon_Carinhall.jpg

Last edited:
Back