Minute of Deer

It's the one shot group that matters lol...
That cold frosty or damp bore that you would face when hunting.

I haven't hunted in almost two years now, but I used to several times a week...

I'm no long distance hunter.

But after every outing in which I didn't shoot an animal or see one; I would shoot a target with that chambered round... The results are amazing if you do it that way.

Three successive shots can result in a larger than desired spread, but three shots on different days can be surprisingly accurate. I wish I had documented it. The first shot is often my best

well I can't see 400 yds

Here in NJ but I like what Rickyrick says the first shot is the one that counts. Funny when you're younger you want to reach way out and smack one. Now I'm content to sneak around real slow and quiet, Grabbed my son's single shot 20 ga this year this year. Shoots nice and carries a lot easier than my slug gun.
Best venison I've had in years. :-D

What is the maximum sized group shot at a 100 yards to effectively shoot a mule deer in the heart or lungs at 400 yards? (assuming the group grows constantly with the distance)

Part of the difference between a 100 yard shot on a deer sized animal and a 400 yard shot for many deer hunters is not the accuracy of the rifle, but the accuracy of the hunter. On a deer at 100 yards, even for an inexperienced hunter, it is easy to pick a spot when aiming at the animal. Once the animal is farther away and the target becomes smaller, many hunters are not quite as picky on the spot, aiming more at a general area than a particular spot. While optics can magnify the animal so it's image is the same at those distances, the perceived increased movement at higher magnifications tends to lend itself to increasing the area of aim. Instead of aiming for the crease behind the shoulder, the hunter aims for the shoulder. Much of this comes from shooting targets. Folks tend to use a bigger bullseye as they increase their range. The bullseye on a deer does not increase with range, it stays the same.

The vital area (heart-lung) of an average deer is 10-11 inches.

Assuming everything is perfect, good zero, no wind, then at 400 yards you'd need a rifle/ammo/shooter combo that could group 2.5 inches.

10/4 = 2.5

And then you would need to aim in the exact center of the vital area to be sure your shot stayed within the vital area. If your aim is off from the exact center, then where you bullet may go will not be in the vital area.

Of course, the vital area isn't exactly round and your grouping may not be round either.

I shot a deer at 425 yds in Texas once many yrs ago with a .308 Norma Magnum (almost identical ballistics as the 300 mag). I don't remember load, but the bullet was a 165 gr boat tail bc was 477 as I recall. I had been shooting regularly with that load, but this was the first long range shot I attempted. I was able to get prone on a small knoll that gave me a good rest for my elbows.
Although I was proud of the shot and of the rifle, I wasn't that impressed with the thrill of the hunt. I much prefer to hunt in the north woods. Average shot since that long shot was around 40 yards

mathmaticly 2 inches.

that assumes that your scope cross hairs were dead center to the deer's vitals so your error would not go outside the fast,clean death zone.your scope better be good enough to see well out there

this also assumes wind conditions are the same 400 yards away,im not a long range shooter but have played enough golf to know wind conditions can vary within a shot zone.

changes in elevation can have an effect as well,most of these type of shots happen in the rocky mountains.

get to know your gun,scope,loads and terain because there are a lot of grey area's here

What is the maximum sized group shot at a 100 yards to effectively shoot a mule deer in the heart or lungs at 400 yards?

I have about three rifles I would use for this sort of shot. All of them will keep their groups around the 1" mark at 200yds if I am doing my part. I don't shoot them on a real regular basis as in sitting out at the range weekly shooting up 25-50 rounds in a stretch.

I worked the loads up very carefully, tested them through out the year and chose the most consistent ones to hunt with. I shoot them now about every two to three months and around deer season I will shoot upwards of 20 or so rounds through them.

I do not shoot much out that far except feral hogs or coyotes, but a whitetail wouldn't be an issue if I wanted to take it. These couple of rifles will put the bullet where I want it to go, and I know the terrain, and only take them out when the conditions are right, ie - no wind, clear skies, and knowing I will have a nice solid rest to bed them in before I shoot.

The one mule deer I shot, I practiced for months with three different rifles, a .25-06, a 270 Win and a Sendero in 7mm RM. I could easily hit a 3" bull at 300yds by the time we headed to CO for the hunt. I shot my deer at about 45ft from the muzzle of my 25-06, and he never took a step. The area we hunted offered us the ability to stretch out as far as we wanted, but with the swirling breezes we watched through through our spotting scopes we knew better. So we hunted the tight, thick cover, and were rewarded.

If your going to shoot that far you realistically need to practice a ton. Not just once in a while but regularly with the load your planning on shooting. The rifles I have I feel blessed to own as they are three of the most accurate rifles I have. They will shoot far better than I can and I'm not much of a slouch myself. Still I do practice with them at the farm when I can or when the conditions are like I would use them while hunting.

Back