Minimum legal caliber changes

But the state with an elk harvest almost 2x higher than second place (Colorado) has a minimum of .243.
I don't know about you Brian, but in the last 5 years in CO, I have seen more wounded game, and unretrieved carcasses than in the first 32 years I hunted here. I have shot game at yardages most should not, and with calibers that most would not, but I take my time and make sure my shot is perfect in those outlier cases.

I think COs caliber restrictions are decent and relatively fair. I would not mind moving to .22 caliber, 65 grains and 3000 fps and up for Pronghorn, but it is not something I would lobby for. For Deer and Elk, I think the floor of .243Win is decent.

I don't have enough experience here to comment on increased wounded/lost animals. I've only found one dead animal (last year) that I *assume* was a hunter kill, a 7x7 elk that a mountain lion was chomping on. I went back for pictures this year...
attachment.php

However, I agree that the restrictions here are sensible. I do know some people who use .243Win and .25-06 on elk and they're not the type that give me a moments pause. I personally use 7mm-08 and having fired only one shot, which was a DRT at 250 yards, I plan to continue to do so.
attachment.php

I have a good friend who bow hunted out here for many years and never pulled more than 40lbs... in at least a dozen elk killed he never failed to get a pass-through. Same guy hunts NY deer with a .223 firing Barnes TTSX and has never lost an animal nor needed a second shot.

Attachments

• IMG_1725.JPG
    IMG_1725.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 195
I've hunted Colorado my whole life and can say I don't disagree with some caliber restrictions. I don't believe the. 243 Win is an adequate elk rifle, however it will work and if that's what you have hunt with it. I'd like to see more focus on bullet restrictions than caliber, with today's bullets smaller calibers work better than ever. I'd make it something along the lines of a 120 grain or heavier bullet for elk and moose and as MarkCO stated a 65 grain or heavier bullet for pronghorn, deer, and black bear.

My so started hunting with a .223 Winchester when he was 6. He is now 8 and has shot 7 whitetail with it. The 62 grain Fusion has been nothing short of remarkable. Exit wounds on all 7. My only complaint is poor blood trail. All were shot at over 100 yards. Two were shot just over 200 yes.

I don't know why people want to use 223 on deer & big game. Under ideal conditions in a
rested position with a stationary animal you can kill it with anything, restricted only by range of cartridge. I have 222, 223, 220swift and I wouldn't carry them deer hunting. There
is a difference in hunting and shooting. You should use enough gun to get the job done under less than ideal conditions if you are actually hunting. If you are sitting in a stand and
shooting stationary deer it makes less difference what you use. The arguement don't fly with me. I have seen many deer shot with 30 cal rifles and even slugs that were good hits
and would end up as a tracking project. I just doesn't make sense to me if you have the
choice of a more reasonable caliber.

I don't know why people want to use 223 on deer & big game. Under ideal conditions in a
rested position with a stationary animal you can kill it with anything, restricted only by range of cartridge. I have 222, 223, 220swift and I wouldn't carry them deer hunting. There
is a difference in hunting and shooting. You should use enough gun to get the job done under less than ideal conditions if you are actually hunting. If you are sitting in a stand and
shooting stationary deer it makes less difference what you use. The arguement don't fly with me. I have seen many deer shot with 30 cal rifles and even slugs that were good hits
and would end up as a tracking project. I just doesn't make sense to me if you have the
choice of a more reasonable caliber.
Why my son hunts with a .223? He shoots it well and hits well with it. He has a .243, but he is recoil shy without the break on it and blast shy with the brake on it. You rather he heart shoot a deer with his .223 or shoot it in the rear end with his .243?

Back