minimum distance for a .22lr shooting lane

I think it depends on what and where you swabbed.

Floor approximately 2 m beyond the firing line, approximately 2 m in front of the target backstop, and approximately halfway. All samples were taken along the centerline of the range - i.e., we didn't test differences laterally, but I don't think the results would have been any different. We also tested one other horizontal surface - from the archery target butts (recall I said it was a multipurpose range) - which are stored along the sides of the range near the backstop.

I'm aware that many ranges wet down the floor, and I don't see that can hurt, but I doubt that many of those ranges have any data to show that it helps. The range I'm shooting at now doesn't sweep at all, rather uses a very expensive industrial HEPA vacuum, and has no brooms for sweeping up brass, using rubber squeegies (sp?) instead. Again, can't hurt, but I know for a fact it's not based on data.

Also, if the lead is truly from the priming compound, or from the projectiles but very finely divided, it will stay in suspension for a long time. People seem to think that because lead is very dense it will drop out of the air quickly, but the physics (Navier-Stokes equations) tell us that as the size of the particles decreases their density becomes unimportant.

Last edited:
Given I still don't wanna switch to an airgun, silly question: Ain't there lead-free options for 22lr ammo? That would eliminate the whole problem, and since I anyway don't plan to send more than a few rounds downrange a month, the price wouldn't matter either...

CCI definitely has "lead-free" rimfire ammo, and perhaps others do as well. I'm pretty sure they're responding to calls for eliminating lead projectiles, however, and they're still using the same lead styphnate priming compound, which is the bigger issue for indoor shooters.

If you're really only talking about a few rounds per month, and can provide some ventilation during and for a while after shooting, I doubt you're looking at any significant risk from exposure to lead.

Ideally? 33 yards. lol

I would say minimum 15 at least... Seems like anything closer, is really in your face. The indoor range I used to go to in Long Island... I believe it was 33 yards at the last mark? I think if you really pushed the target out, it may have touched 38 if you were lucky, but I never bothered... Now for a .22 standing with open sights, that's great, in fact, a challenge.

But as soon as you move up to something bigger, it really did feel like you were shooting in a garage. I remember when I first shot my scoped Marlin XL7 .30-06 there. Didn't take long for it to feel really out of place...

To be fair though, that same session, there was a guy shooting an AR-15 (.223), another shooting a 7mm Remington Magnum and then another guy shooting an M1 Garand, .30-06 obviously. I guess when it's all you have. At least I live in the country now... :)

But like I said, 33 yards standing, open sights, especially when I first started shooting? I felt like I would a scope to get anything under a 3 inch group. Not to mention the sights aren't great on the 795, but more-so, when shooting a black circle in a not-so-bright range.

I feel like an idiot now, since you're shooting a pistol... Definitely don't need anything close to 33 yards for that kind of gun. 10 would be fine. :P

Also, I'm wondering if putting a couple of those air filter things next to you, and one near the target to collect any bad stuff that might be in the air. I think it would help, at least. I still think that might be a viable option with the lead primer lead free bullet.

I dunno, just another .02

minimum distance for a .22lr shooting lane

I think the minimum distance I would like is 33 feet (10 meter). I did this when I lived in Anchorage. I shot from my living room through a door that opened up into the garage. I had a bullet trap set up at 10 meters and used ISU air rifle targets (rifle and pistol),

I shot thousands upon thousands of rounds with no ill effects. I did have a pretty good exhaust fan (the bullet trap was near the area I use for casting bullets).

Good lights over the target helps a lot.

I got some pretty good practice with this set up.

I had some pretty close neighbors but none knew I shot in the house. The ISU air rifle targets gives you the same sight picture you use in small bore rifle and the scoring rights are scaled down proportionate. The ISU pistol targets were closer then Bullseye targets.

Back