mini 14

Five-0, what did Chief A.J. do to your Mini14? Second, describe your shooting (timed fire, slow fire, cooling off period for barrel). Thanks.

Gary

I have a ranch in stainless that has run thousands of rounds through it without a single malfunction. I can consistently 2"
group at 100 yards as long as my son doesn't
first rapid fire a twenty round string first.
The barrel is so hot you can melt the foam in my gun case. I have a Weaver scope but use a
B Square side mount instead of the receiver rail. I can then use either the scope or the
open sights. It's now at the local gunsmith
getting a Williams Fool-Proof 11/87 peep sight with target knobs mounted. The folks at Williams gave instructions how to mount the 11/87 behind the factory sight, so I will then have the option to use the scope, the peep sight (with the factory sight folded down), or the factory sight if I want to shoot open sights.
Talk about the best of all worlds! Good luck.

I have a mini-14 stainless ranch that has fired thousands of rounds without a single malfunction. It can group two inches at 100 yards if you shoot 5 round groups slowly and give the barrel a chance to cool. I mounted the scope using a B Square mount - so I can use either the scope or open sight. It's at the gunsmith now having a Williams peep sight mounted behind the factory sight. Then I will be able to use the scope, the peep sight, or the factory open sight. For all around fun shooting I really like the Mini 14. Good luck

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 4V50 Gary:
Shin-Tao: try looking into

Accurate Rifle Systems
810 N Dixie Blvd. Suite 107
Odessa, TX 79761
(915) 362-6840
[/quote]

My bud had them do a ranch rifle, cost him about $700. It still won't shoot worth spit, and it has been back to ARS for "repair". ARS "recrowned" it, shot it, sent test targets back, none of which were under the guaranteed one inch promise, and charged my bud more shipping and $1 a pop for the "custom ammo" that he used, about another $80 all told. Only one target was even close to being under 1". ARS also sent the gun back UPS Collect. UPS will not take a check, so bud had to have UPS guy wait while he drove to store and got money order. ARS gave him no heads up that this would occur. I will be glad to forward my bud's letter to you if you would like. I am glad for the people that have had good dealings with this guy, but they sound like the exception. You are only as good as your word, and if your word is no good, neither are you. If it smells like a skunk, it usually is.

CS

I found an outstanding scope mount for the Mini-14. Mine's a 181 series, not a Ranch, so finding this was a great thing for me.

Manufactured and sold by AimTech, this mount replaces the handguard on the rifle and provides a Picatinny rail Scout mounting base. The mount is raised so that a channel is included so that the iron sights can be used as well. In a addition, it makes the mini look great.

The mount is very easy to install. It takes only a few allen screws (wrenches provided) and some LocTite.

I highly recommend this mount. I have also put a Choate fixed pistol grip stock on and with the B-Square side scope mount, I am only able to set my chin against the buttstock. with this mount, I'm able to set my entire cheek.

I use an AimPoint 5000X2 red-dot scope. Eye Relief becomes a substantial factor when using the Scout type configuration.

Brownell's and AimTech, themselves, sell this mount. I'll list the URL's below.

- John Coleman

Brownell's: ( http://www.brownells.com )
AimTech: ( http://www.aimtech-mounts.com )

[This message has been edited by jcoleman (edited April 08, 2000).]

Looks good JColman

What does it cost and are you able to clean your mini without messing up your zero on the scope?

Back