Mini-14/30 -- are they really as bad as I hear?

Hueco

I have heard some really corrosive remarks about these rifles. I believe "boat-anchor"is used more than their real names. Horrible accuracy, unreliable, and bad service on the part of Ruger -- how much of this is 100% true? What is the good for? They are obviously not target shooting. They are both chambered for sort of long-range calibres, so hunting at the appropriate range is severely hindered by the supoosed lack of accuracy. And to me, they seem a bit anemic on the power for home-defence (the Mini-30 might do it ok). So what is this $500 rifle good for? where does it excel?

Hueco

I own a Mini-30 that I really enjoy shooting. It is very reliable with just about every factory and handload I've tried. After market magazines may account for some reports of problems with the gun. I have several non-Ruger magazines that give feeding problems, but factory mags are totally reliable. Accuracy? I get 100 yard groups of about 4" with most loads using a 4X scope. I consider the rifle a fair choice for deer size game up to about 150 yards max. if shots are carefully placed and a good softpoint bullet is used. Basically, it's just a fun rifle to plink with.

I tried to help a friend zero his brand new Mini-14 Ranch Rifle. Even with the scope, and from sandbags, we couldn't get better than about a 5" group at 100yd. Taking off the scope and using just the iron sights didn't help any at all. I don't think there is a thing it excells at except looking cool. I would spend a few hundred more and buy an AR-15. However, if I were looking for a home defense weapon, I would spend a couple hundred less and buy a Mossberg 590 shotgun.

A person can have a lot of harmless amusement with one of those things. I have a Mini-14 Ranch rifle that is a big hit out at the farm. It's deadly at the same ranges, and farther, that you might use for plinking with your pistols and mine will pass gunshow reloads like **** through a goose. I can make aluminum cans pop 10 and 20 feet into the air with it. That's what I do with mine. :)

I had a Mini Stainless Ranch, which I gave to a friend, so that his then-12-yr. old son could "play" with it. Other than a plaything for somebody who doesn't care much for reliability, ease of cleaning, and accuracy, I can't think of much use for it.

It probably would make a good river anchor, snagging underwater rock formations, etc.

Get a Bushmaster Shorty carbine. You won't be sorry.

------------------
Shoot to kill; they'll stop when they're dead!

Hueco, whether or not you'll be happy with a Mini depends on what you want it for. I've had a Mini-14 for a couple of years and have found it to be reliable (even with crappy aftermarket mags) and acceptably accurate at 100 yards (but then I don't expect more than 4-5" groups from it). The fun factor on this little rifle is extremely high. Is it a tackdriver? Absolutely not. Have other people had problems with theirs? Of course--and people have also had problems with their AR's, too. Ask George Hill about his AR if you don't believe it. But the Minis are cheaper, and unless you're looking for target-grade accuracy, you probably won't be disappointed with one. Parts and accessories are easy to find, too. As for "anemic power" in a self-defense mode, do you think the .223 is anemic? If you do, then you should be looking for a .308 anyhow. IMHO, the .223 has plenty of power for self-defense against two-legged predators!

Sic semper tyrannis

freedomlover

While I have no doubt that some individuals have had rotten luck with specific speciments of the Mini as far as accuracy, reliability, etc., it seems as a group that they can't all be that bad. There are quite a number of prominent law enforcement organizations who rely on the Mini (the last time I checked the list included the California Highway Patrol, San Bernardino County Sheriff, Essex County Mass Sheriffs Dept, NYPD Emergency services). I owned a couple of mini's about ten years ago, one of which would consistently shoot 1" groups at fifty yards with hardball. As far as I remember, reliability was never an issue.

The engineer who worked for Rugar was my engineer on our semi auto 50 and he told me of very strange accuracy problems that they had with the Mini 30. It seems that the left rounds out of the mag hits in a different point than the rt bank It almost caused the gun to be withdrawn from the market. I can't say that it was a problem later solved or not

Well, maybe I will take a look at a Ranch afterall. Just need a good plinker, and from your reports guys...it seems like a good rifle for that. Is it any good at all for coyote?? Hehe, I just had to ask. Maybe tonight I will go to Wally World and audition one. Thanks guys!!

Hueco

Hueco, if I were you, I'd forego the Ranch Rifle and just get a plain jane Mini-14 (if you insist). I don't see any point in putting a scope on a rifle that shoots 5 MOA groups. You'd do just as well with the iron sights, the rifle will be handier and you'll likely save yourself some money in the process.

It's been my experience that if you want a cheap, reliable, reasonably accurate 7.62x39 carbine buy an SKS. The only advantage that I can see with the Mini-30 is the ability to mount a scope easier. My Mini 30 wouldn't give me better than 4" groups at 100 yds, with a scope, and the high cap mags that are available for it are junk. The Ruger factory 5 rders work flawlessly, but might leave you short in a "social" situation. The Mini-14, of which I have 2, one of which is for sale, have the same problems with accuracy and high cap magazines as the Mini-30. The stainless versions are priced right at $500-$550, and for $300 more you can get a Bushmaster AR-15. I have three AR's, one Colt and two Bushmasters, and they are all light years better than the Ruger products, especially in the accuracy department and the high cap mag availability/reliability. Save your money and buy an AR, you'll be glad you did.
Mike

Hueco,

My experience with the Ruger Mini 14s and Mini 30s has been strange, but not entirely unsatisfactory. I have a Mini 14 that will not keep 3 shots on a piece of typing paper at 100-yds with standard 55-gr ammo. However, the same gun will consistently group 3 shots into 1 and 1/2 inch at 100-yds with 69-gr Sierra Matchkings. How strange is that!
My Mini 30 started off terribly inaccurate, but after taking up the slack in the gun to stock fit, it now shoots as well as my Mini 14 with 69-gr Sierra Matchkings! They do seem to be neurotic firearms, however, after fussing with them a bit, both of mine shoot very well. They do have light barrels though, and consequently tend to heat up rather fast which opens the groups considerably. However, I have taken 16 coyotes with my Mini 14 at a variety of ranges (with 69-gr Matchkings), and given that the barrel never gets hot while hunting, I find it to be an excellent gun for my needs.

Randy Garrett www.garrettcartridges.com

I've had my Mini-14 Ranch for about 8 mounths,and think its 1 of the best tools I own.I can pick off a Quarter a 100yds. scoped that is.And good 2"mods at 100yds. also. It's a reliable and fun gun.But if you buy it new your gonna have to baer with it a little bit, shes gonna need her charry poped.

Gale, I don't think that problem was solved, it was just transferred to the Mini-14. :) I was showing that phenomenon to some people at the range. I had 3 shots in vertical alignment and the other 2 shots in vert. alignment about 1" over. If someone would come up with a 10 shot single stack magazine for both models, they could make a mint.

Randy's comments on improving the accuracy of his Mini-30 through a better metal to stock fit were interesting. Anybody have experience "accurizing" the Mini-series? Exactly what did you do Randy?

I have a mini-30 ranch and the only problem I've ever had is finding decent hi-cap mags for it. Every malfunction I've had was mag related. Mine will group 2 1/2 to 3 inches at 100 yds with Russian surplus ammo. That's fine with me.

Hueco-I have a Mini 14 SS that was made in 1981. It has a Choate folder and I only use factory or PMI mags. I bought those when they were still cheap. Using the iron sights I can achieve 3" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with SS109. I have never liked the idea of mounting a scope on a rifle that was designed for combat situations and accuracy without going to the trouble of fitting an accurate barrel and assorted parts to justify it. I find 3" at 100 yards more than acceptable. I can put 30 rounds into about a 5" group. I would hate to be the guy to catch 30 rounds of 223 in the torso. I've seen what 223 does to human tissue and can honestly say that it is not anemic. I have been considering "accurizing" one of my Mini's. Does anyone know who does this kind of work?

Steve

Steve, I know Randy at CPC does trigger and barrel work on Mini's. If his Mini-14's come out as good as the 10/22's he works on, they will be gems.

I have a mini 14 ranch in stainless that has about 5-10,000 rounds through it. I'll second that the barrel heats up rather quickly after only ten or so rounds. I use mine only for putting holes in targets at the range (well my son hunted once with it and bagged an 8 pointer at twenty yards - open sights). It is a "fun" gun to shoot. It doesn't pound you to death, the ammo is readily available and rather cheap, and I can group 5" at 100yards using 55gr. FMJ and Hodgen 335 powder for reloads. I cannot remember a misfire/misfeed with either factory or USA mags. The one BIG problem is that the gun "throws" the hot brass anywhere from 10-20 FEET when it ejects. This "tends"
to upset any shooters who might be to your right on the range. If I can't get the far right bench, then either I wait for the two benches to my right to clear, the far right bench to open, or I don't shoot the mini that day out of respect for the other shooters. It also tends to damage spent brass as it goes flying - not a good thing if you want to reload. If I wanted to have it accurized, the first place I would contact is Clark's Custom Guns in Haughton, LA. They do amazing things with all guns - and that includes Rugers. Folks that have used them say that the price they charge for the work they do is extremely reasonable. Good luck.

Steve, I know that Mickey Fowler did an article about someone who accurizes the mini in a copy of Guns Magazine. I have the magazine at home and will try to find out more tonight.

Back