Mindset to conceal carry

Proper knife training?

Earlier, someone had asked if anyone knew of any good training for self-defense knife techniques. The question got ignored, and I'd like to hit on it for a second...

Asking which martial arts system is the best for knife defense is like asking which company makes the best 1911! It's an endless debate, often futilely taken up by bored enthusiasts, resulting in lengthy discussion with very little result. Both questions have no answer, but here are my thoughts...

Of course, we all know that there is no "one system" that is best for knife defense. But, that's not the point. The point is, almost EVERY SINGLE martial arts system can be adapted to incorporate the use of a knife. Knives are not "weapons," in the same sense as a gun. Knives simply enhance the damage that you do with your REAL weapons... your hands. If you know how to throw a good punch, with good technique, proper body rotation/balance, and to the right target points on the enemy's body, then the addition of a knife to your fist will simply enhance the damage inflicted by your punch. THAT'S the proper way to use a knife.

Which training system is the best? There is no good system. But, I can say this without exception: If you are using a knife for self-defense (whomever you are!), then you need to train in a good empty-hand system. Learn to punch, learn to block, learn to grab and throw. If your instructer is knowledgable and willing to teach, then he/she will include training on knife use.

... and that's all I have to say about that... :D

Oh, and... uh... in most jurisdictions, carrying a concealed "weapon" depends upon your intent, i.e., whether or not you are carrying it specifically for the purpose of self-defense, or whether you are carrying it for some other reason. I carry my folder in case I get a hangnail, need to cut open a box or remove the tags from a new article of clothing. I most certainly do NOT contemplate using my 6" serrated "pocketknife" for self-defense! (hint, hint!)

Yeah... Krav Maga is pretty good! Krav Maga is an Israeli system, and as martial arts styles go, Krav is VERY new. I watch Krav people, and I see elements of Karate, Aikido, Hapkido, Jujitsu, Mui Tai (sp?) and Grecco Roman Wrestling, among others. It seems like the Israelis brought several styles together and picked out the simplest and most reliable techniques from all of those styles, and they made one big system out of it. It seems to focus in controlling an oncoming threat, suppression of an attacker, and pressure-point strikes rendering an enemy unable (or unwilling) to continue use of his arms, legs, (lungs, heart...).

Man! I'd give my (nah! I'd give someone else's) right arm to train in Krav Maga! Right now, the Krav masters are still pretty much found on the West Coast, and around the military bases. I wish I knew someone (reputable) who taught it here...

Yeah sorry man, Los Angeles is where it's at. BTW, any LEOs or military around LA PM me info on free LEO/Military only Krav Maga training at the national training center.

Click here for Krav Maga training centers throughout the US.

That said, this has great potential for a separate thread, but here it's sort of hijacking gdeal's thread. Let's keep this one on track, and if anyone wants to start a separate one, have at it.

In my humble opinion

Ohio:

§ 2923.12. Carrying concealed weapons.

(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person's person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:
(1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;
(2) A handgun other than a dangerous ordnance;
(3) A dangerous ordnance.

So, I guess a handgun (with a license) is legal, but my little knife isn't. Someone please tell me if I'm reading this incorrectly.

Have fun, I consider a knife to be a tool, not a weapon! Each jurisdiction is different; always check your local laws.

Back on-topic, I carry generally 24/7. There have been credible threats on my chosen profession, with a bounty offered by some drug dealers. I also usually have a knife (AT Barr Large EDC, AT Barr Folding Guardian, Mickey Yurco Claw Neck Knife, or one or two other customs). I also carry my keys on a Mickey Yurco Braided Lanyard, with 2 ounces of lead in a Kydex Pouch on the end of the lanyard.

I don't advocate breaking any laws; if your local laws say, need a permit...and you decide to carry a knife concealed, saying "So I can defend myself from an assailant" is usually (admissible in court) an invitation to a concealed weapons charge. Because you use it at work has a certain legitimacy to it...

I usually carry my fishing knife or bowie knife on me whenever I go out. I'm 16 and have no CCW permit (obviously), but the local LEOs here in my town say as long as I keep it sheathed and visible on my belt or belt loops then I wont get in trouble at all. They even made a joke saying that no one would try to bug me if they see a 15" blade sheathed clearly visible.

Now as far as carrying a gun. When I get my CCW permit I plan on getting a holster and NOT keeping the gun in my pocket. Too many things can go wrong such as the hammer getting caught on something.

Like I mentioned earlier, most places, carrying a "weapon" is all about "intent." With guns, it's always presumed that you intend to carry it as a weapon. So, you've pretty much got to have a permit to carry a gun. (You can come into court and explain that the gun was unloaded, you were only transporting it, etc... But who wants to go through all that hassle?)

With knives, the line gets REALLY blurred when people carry it for "multiple purposes." Most states have length limitations, wherein if you carry a knife longer than the designated length, it is always presumed that you carry "with intent to go armed." But, it sounds like with Maser's jurisdiction, the key is "concealed." Some jurisdictions only prohibit the "concealed" carrying of weapons. Some other jurisdictions establish that if you conceal it, you intend to carry it with intent to go armed.

With knives, a good trick to remember is: Don't be a jerk. Most cops carry pocketknives. Most cops do not consider carrying a pocketknife to be a crime. So, as long as you are not "brandishing" a knife, i.e., waving it around and making people afraid of you, you should be ok.

And, if a cop stops you on the street, don't go reaching for it. That ALWAYS ends poorly.

FYI, here in Tennessee, I'm pretty sure the rule is a presumption to go armed when carrying longer than a 4" blade length. I can't, for the life of me, determine whether TN has a "fixed blade" law, limiting us to folding knives only.

Back