militec-1

switch625

i've seen this mentioned alot lately. i'm just about out or zero-friction and thinking about giving militec a try. or should i just use clp, which i have laying around.

anybody used this, any good? i can't seem to find it localy. if anyone has a good source i'd like to hear it.

thanks!:p

Militec-1 is great, but it's not meant for the same things as CLP. Militec is a lube--not a cleaner, and not really a protector.

Knife nuts in the know (myself included) swear by a good coat of baked-on Militec.

Clean with CLP, lube with Militec.

just looking for a lube, if it's as good as it claims i'd like to give it a try.

the clp was bought cause my armorer said it was good stuff, not for a cleaner. never tried it for that. i use hoppes usually, trying mpro7 next.

http://www.madogre.com/breakfree.htm

I use Breakfree CLP on everything. It does clean... but it protects better than anything else I've used, and it lubes dang near as good as anything specifically made to lube.
I've used Miltec-1. And I didn't note any improved lubrication over BF-CLP. I've also used Mpro-7 and Mobile 1. For just lubrication, Mobil 1 is the best... but not by much... and since it doesn't clean... why bother with it?

K.I.S.S.

is mpro7 a lube also?? i just got some, cause it won't stink up the place like hoppes. the smell brings back good memories but dang! i can only take so much. i would go look at my bottle but i'm moving and it's in a box somewhere.

george, good point-k.i.s.s. i'll just use the clp.

I use Militec-1 also. Clean w/ #9 lube w/ militec.
Read through their site, I think you'll be impressed.
I think I also saw it in a cheaper than dirt catalog, check their web site.

Militec-1 is the best lube...

..I've ever found. I use it on my guns and my knives. The Benchmade Knife Company thinks so highly of Militec that they have it in their catalog. I use a hair dryer to heat up what I wish to lube, apply the Militec, and then turn the hair dryer on it again. I know, I know. It sound's silly. However, it makes this stuff work REALLY good. It also seems to last much longer than anything else I've tried. I believe the claims. Militec-1 is the best. (IMHO) If you call the company, they will send you a free sample bottle. It's a TINY bottle but it lasted me for months.

KR

Yes, the balisong forum on bladeforums.com forced me to try militec. I think it does work a little better than CLP, but not enough to warrant you tossing out your CLP collection to get the Militec.

It seems to be more viscous than CLP and doesn't require homogenization (if that's a word) like CLP. I still have CLP, but lube with Militec. I clean with M-Pro 7 because it's awesome and protect with Tuf-Glide because it's the best I have found.

CLP is just fine. I just happen to like my chemicals and love taking care of my weapons. If I could only have one, it would be CLP because it does everything good enough. I feel that M=Pro is a better cleaner, Militec-1 is a better lube and Tuf-Glide is a superior protectant. I have all of $20, including Tetra Grease invested in this junk and it still has a looong way to go. Been on the same bottle o' CLP for two years now...

That's it... I'm breaking out some old iron nails and my "Box'O'stuff" and doing some testing.

The stuff I have:
Rem Oil
Mpro7
Tetra
Militec-1
Breakfree CLP
Mobil 1 (BTW, that is the ONLY motor oil AND FILTER that I use in all my vehicles... Including Spectres Samurai that I've almost finished building)
Butch's
WD-40
3-1 oil

and a few other things... I'll have to dig out the box to see what I still have in there.

The three main concerns are:
1. Cleaning
2. Lubrication
3. Protection.

I'll have to come up with the tests... Cleaning and lubing are not that hard to test... but the lubing is going to be more tricky. I'll have to make up a test that will allow me to make a measureable comparison.
I'll report back next week. (have to give the nails some time to get corrosion.)

switch625, (with an alias like that a person could mistake you for a long-time Def Lepard fan;)) MPro7 is a citrus based cleaner that will strip all the oil off the surface of whatever metal you use it on. If you use it to clean your guns be sure to lube them. Personally, I like SnakeOil better than militec-1 as a lube, but I only use BreakFree/ CLP on my firearms. (With a little Hoppe's #9 to help clean the bore.)

I have used FP-10 for about 15 years. Tried Militec, but didn't like it. I went back to the FP-10. I am more comfortable with a CLP type product, especially one that is big on the lube part, as FP-10 is.

blades 67, def leppard it is! surprised you're the only one to mention it. but then again it's an obscure track.

i'm trying to find an online source for militec. i'd really like to try it. i'm intersted in how it doesn't attract debris like other lubes. onlysource i've found so far is militec's site.

thanks for all the replies.:)

George, next time you get a chance, you should pick up some Tuf-Glide. Works great on knives and they claim it's a good dry lube.

An additional test for lube is to let the oil carrier evaportate. M-Pro7 lube and CLP at least should be noticeably better than others... I think that the dampening effect of the oil carrier might confuse the results. Just a thought.

I have used Militec for a few years now. I was never happy with stuff like Break Free as it just carried the dirt and crud down further into the action. I know it is good stuff, I just didn't care for it.

I had a HK91 parts gun put together that was never very smooth and often had feed and extraction problems. Cleaning and lubing with other products didn't seem to help much. I then liberally applied some Militec and let it sit overnight. I wiped off the excess and proceeded to fire mag after mag without a hiccup. The action is much slicker now and hasn't gagged since.

It has also helped my MIS90 Benelli function better with light target loads that used to make it choke.

Militec slicked up a couple of ParaOrdnance competition guns better than other lubes I had been using too. The dirt and fouling doesn't stick to the insides like it did with other products. I can usually just wipe it away without scrubbing.

I use it on all my guns and knives. I have some other products too, such as Tetra Gun, FP10, Wilson Gun Grease, and Remoil, but I like the Militec as a lube the best.

I feel it is a good product for those who clean and maintain their guns after each shooting session. For someone who doesn't clean their guns until they are nasty or they start having problems, a CLP may be a better choice.

thanks for all the replies. i ordered militec direct from their site. it was the cheapest, especially for shipping being $4. i assumed it would be priority but it was first class:( i ordered on mon and didn't get it until that following mon, fairly poor. may be post office's fault though.

i've used zero friction, clp and hoppes oil. wasn't impressed with any of them. the clp and hoppes didn't last long, evaporated before a month. i oil and rotate my mags every month. the zero friction didn't evaporate after a month, sometimes i could skip a month. with the zero i didn't notice any smoother operation though and i didn't like the ptfe(shake well!) in the bottom of the bottle like the clp. if it'll seperate in the bottle it will seperate and attract/build up on the gun.

that's what i like about militec, no seperation, doesn't attract crud and a whole lot of exc feedback.

by the way, don't get the sniper pack. the needle doesn't screw onto either bottle.:confused: i guess i'm supposed to screw it on the spout? if you just want the 1/4oz bottle just call them and they'll send you a free sample. the 4oz is the best value and i suspect it'll take me a while to go through it.

Switch...

The needle works great for getting into the deep parts. You're correct--Just screw the needle onto the spout of the large bottle. No muss, no fuss. You'll get the hang of it. (And like it!:)) Oh, there's a flat black "push on" cap with the needle that keeps the Militec in the bottle when you knock it over on your work bench.:)

KR

Back