Mil (MRAD) scope

tangolima said:
I am with taylorce1 that mil or moa doesn't matter if everything is in clicks.

I DO NOT want clicks if you're spotting for me, period end of discussion. I want MOA or Mil corrections depending on what scope I'm using. If I decide to twist a turret, then I should automatically know how to adjust my scope.

If I'm 1 MOA or 1 Mil off target, I adjust 1 MOA or Mil. Regardless if I choose to dial or use my reticle I have the correct information relayed by the spotter. I have numbers on my scope turrets for a reason.

I DO NOT want clicks if you're spotting for me, period end of discussion. I want MOA or Mil corrections depending on what scope I'm using. If I decide to twist a turret, then I should automatically know how to adjust my scope.

If I'm 1 MOA or 1 Mil off target, I adjust 1 MOA or Mil. Regardless if I choose to dial or use my reticle I have the correct information relayed by the spotter. I have numbers on my scope turrets for a reason.
Okay okay. ;)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Whoa! Spotter calls out hit or miss. Then correction in MILS or MOA to get POI to hit POA. Horizontal and vertical. That’s it.

The worst spot when shooting long range is a 4 o’clock about 3”. This is pretty std on a paper target with no reticle in spotter. That said, the shooter can measure from POI to POA and correct.

Everything has to be angular in the scope. The distances are where you need translation.

The difference is most MOA reticles are 1 MOA spacing. So reasonable resolution is 0.5 MOA. Most MIL reticles are 0.2 MIL spacing, so 0.1 MIL resolution is reasonable.

0.5 MOA is lower resolution than 0.1 MIL. Splitting the smallest measurement into 10, 4 or 2 increments is std scientific practice. I’m splitting here by 2 assuming there is some speed element in this reading.

Nathan said:
Spotter calls out hit or miss. Then correction in MILS or MOA to get POI to hit POA. Horizontal and vertical.

Yes, think of a MOA or Mil reticle as moving the grid squares from your paper zero targets to your optic lense. It's just a tape measure now, it tells how much correction you need. As long as your using a FFP or fixed optic your measurement will always be correct, with a SFP just make sure your power setting is correct for your new tape measure.

This is why I say forget math and do exactly what your reticle tells you to do. It doesn't matter how many inches/centimeters a click moves you at an arbitrary distance. What matters is are you measuring accurately and is your scope moving correctly to your (MOA/Mil) measurement to get POI to match POA.

Laser rangefinders, chronographs, wind meters, and ballistic phone apps have changed the game from what these reticles were originally designed for. With all this as long as your putting good data in you get good data out, so be honest. If you want to learn the range estimation and all the math involved for plotting trajectories, calculating velocites, and true BC of bullets you can do so at your leisure. However, not knowing the math doesn't stop you from using a MOA or Mil reticle effectively.

Whoa! Spotter calls out hit or miss. Then correction in MILS or MOA to get POI to hit POA. Horizontal and vertical. That’s it.

The worst spot when shooting long range is a 4 o’clock about 3”. This is pretty std on a paper target with no reticle in spotter. That said, the shooter can measure from POI to POA and correct.

Everything has to be angular in the scope. The distances are where you need translation.

The difference is most MOA reticles are 1 MOA spacing. So reasonable resolution is 0.5 MOA. Most MIL reticles are 0.2 MIL spacing, so 0.1 MIL resolution is reasonable.

0.5 MOA is lower resolution than 0.1 MIL. Splitting the smallest measurement into 10, 4 or 2 increments is std scientific practice. I’m splitting here by 2 assuming there is some speed element in this reading.
Am really confused over the use of word "resolution". And while scopes come with differing options for extreme long ranges, 1/4 moa and .1 mil adjustments are standard on most scopes i have seen. And these are not resolutions, they are adjustment increments. 1/4 is bout 1/4 inch at 100 yds and .1 mil is .36 in. Neither are greater "resolution" than the other.

The graduations on a reticle may have differing spacing, but best they match the "click" adjustment values. Generally mil scopes need fewer clicks to adjust elevation/windage.

Course everyone has their personal preferences, and use of the english language.

Well, simply stated 1 MOA line spacing is 1 MOA.

0.2mil line spacing is 0.2mils.

0.2mils is a smaller line spacing that 1 MOA…..this means mils has greater resolution in the reticle reading or adjustment by reticle.

In the turret, the turrets are 1/4 MOA and 0.1 MILS. In the turret, the MOA has slightly greater resolution. This is very slight I I find no meaningful difference….. other the the difficulty of counting/memorizing base 4 number systems vs base 10 number systems.

Well, simply stated 1 MOA line spacing is 1 MOA.

0.2mil line spacing is 0.2mils.

0.2mils is a smaller line spacing that 1 MOA…..this means mils has greater resolution in the reticle reading or adjustment by reticle.

In the turret, the turrets are 1/4 MOA and 0.1 MILS. In the turret, the MOA has slightly greater resolution. This is very slight I I find no meaningful difference….. other the the difficulty of counting/memorizing base 4 number systems vs base 10 number systems.
still believe you're confusing gradation with resolution. At the same power setting a mil spec and a moa scope have the same resolution. the reticle spacing is not resolution

http://www.revicoptics.com/blog/rev...nits commonly used to,0.017 inch at 100 yards.

zeke said:
still believe you're confusing gradation with resolution.

I’m not talking about optical resolution. I’m talking about how well the reticle can be read or at what resolution it can be read.

Graduation - A division or interval, as on a graduated scale.

Yes, a finer graduation 0.2 mil vs 1 moa will have a higher resolution of reading.

Back