Mike Beliveau (deringer)

Well....if it ain't, it oughta be. :D

The Hamilton part's true, I read an article on it once by somebody named Prisbrey.
Denis

The Old Remington couldn't hold up to much higher pressures than its round produced.
One reason you see so many today with cracked hinges. :)
Denis

I read somewhere that Gen Patton had a peral handed Remington O/U in his Nightstand both in and out of the Combar Zones.
I wonder if the Military has a supply stashed somewhere?
How true that is, I don't lnow? Sure makes for a good story!
From the posts here and other reserch I agree with the velocity and FPE statements about the .41 and rhe O/U.
The round is weak and though the pistol is ideal in other caibers. it is definatelly "lacking" in the O/U Remingtons.
WHy did they sell soo any? Well they made a loud Boom and shot a bullet that looked good. but preformed poorly, Even so they gave a sense of security which was their purpose.
Mike, your Posts and articles give me great pleasure to read and you have taught me a lot about shooting loads, especally about your .36's! Thanks!
I wonder why that round was chosen? Perhaps because of the weakspot,the hinge ass'y. Most ;ilely the bore size was intimidating!
Te modern metals combined with the .38 Special make for a fine little short range self-defense Pistol! At card table ranges.
If the trigger was given a little more attention to it's pull weight, the little gun might be more popular.
Mine is very hard to pull due to the leverage angle of the fulcrum angle provided by the hinge screw's location and the strong trigger spring. Both likely the result of California's restrictions and the lawyers insistances to complyto all safety concerns. Thus the little gun is hard to discharge mech less hit with it!
Perhaps with a .32 caliber chambering and a better trigger, they might sell well and actually work better. Frankilly. the ,38 Special does kick a bit and the purchase the small grip gives, makes the caliber seem to kick more than it really does!
Cimmaron offers a multi barrel .32Mag/ .32-.38Special (Large Frame) gun set also a rimfire version (Small Frame). I always liked that combination just because i like the ,32 Special option!
Your assessment of the power of a loose BP load being more stout than a cartrige is right-on! The "LoosePowder" load can be packed fully andupgraded to high power levels even in A .32 Lincon-style Deringer, ( Please note the single "r" in the descriprion).
You could get perhaps up to 35-40 grins of Powder behind the ball!
The speed of reloadig a cartrige-style gun makes it most handy.
I suppose it's near to a loosing proposition, trying to promote a cartrige double barrel on the market.
A soution is probablly going to be a hard sell in todays semi-auto, Polymer Framed market.
I still shoot both my large and small framed Derringers a lot. Both the .22 RF (very versitle) and my. 38 Special Shot with squib reloads anlso factory loads. They're really fun guns and frankilly, I shoot mine enough to be pretty dngerus with both, but that's just me..
BPDave

As to the ballistics of the anemic 36 cal. Navy Colt, didn't a gentleman by the name of "Wild Bill" Hickok carry a pair of them and kill more than one man in gunfights? Or am I confusing fact with fiction?

Paladin was a fictional character in a TV show right?

OK, I'll admit that I was exaggerating a little about the heavy overcoat.

One of those will definitely stop most Cowboy Action Shooters' .38 Spl handloads, but a .41 RF derringer load MIGHT get through...LOL

Glad you enjoyed the video.

Back