Mike Beliveau (deringer)

mikthestick

I have enjoyed all of mikes u tube posts including the Deringer BUT he says a good heavy overcoat can stop this round. I agree it is not a powerful round, however it IS deadly.
I calculate it would penetrate about 8" of ballistic gel or 0.9" of wood according to Hatcher. A hit on a cartridge belt, sheriff's badge, or bible placed over your heart would probably save you but surely not a heavy overcoat.
I have also read that this round fired at close range into a tree could bounce back and hit you. doubtful I think. Perhaps American overcoats are much better than British ones:D

I love those statements,,,

I love statements like that,,,
I always want to challenge them,,,
I have a heavy wool overcoat I'll loan him,,,
If he will hold his arm out and shoot himself with a derringer.

That statement is pure hyperbole,,,
Consider it specious at best.

A heavy overcoat might slow an already slow bullet down,,,
And it has been proven that HP's can fail to expand,,,
But to think it would stop a bullet outright,,,
That's sheer nonsense in most cases.

I say in most cases because there is always an exception,,,
I'm sure that there is someone out there,,,
Whose coat stopped a bullet.

Aarond

. The .41 Rimfire consisted of a 130 grain bullet with 13 grains of black powder. with a muzzle velocity of 425 feet per second. Yeah I'd say a good heavy coat would stop it. I know a .36 smooth bore derringer with 15 grains of black powder and a 65 grain ball will bounce off of pine bark and just leave a small dent from 20 feet.

Hawg I wonder is that the same caliber of deringer some coward used to kill president Lyncon. I have the names in a book somewhere of another coward who murdered someone over a private grudge by shooting twice to the stomach area with a cloverleaf colt of 41 caliber.
No gun is guaranteed to be lethal all the time, but overcoats are designed to keep out the cold not bullets.

Seems like it was Skeeter Skelton some years ago who was discussing the .41 Rimfire Remington derringer.

Two instances cited of his observations:

One shot fired at a telephone pole, bounced off.
One shot fired at the forehead of an injured horse to put it down, bounced off.

The actual Deringer-made Derringer used on Lincoln was a percussion .44, capable of taking a heavier powder charge.
I've fired a replica, it can produce enough power to kill, as Booth's did.
Denis

One aspect of the Remington that is seldom mentioned is that they have springs more suitable to the front end of a truck than to a pistol. They are hard as heck to cock and the Hollywood image of someone casually snapping off two quick shots is not going to happen unless he spent a lot of time in the thumb gym.

I have not shot anyone with a .41 rimfire, and don't plan to, but my experience tends to bear out the idea that a heavy coat might well stop the bullet or at least slow it down and prevent a lethal wound. The .41 RF and the old .41 Short CF should not be confused with the later .41 Long Colt (made in two case lengths for outside and inside lubricated bullets) which was a more serious proposition.

Jim

Booth used a single shot .44 as was mentioned. It was fired at point blank range and the ball stayed in his skull.

Mike Beliveau (derringer)

Not sure what this is trying to prove. Derringer=powerful. Cloth=weak. Torso=vulnerable. Deringrer=2 shots. Shooter=Adrenalin+Tunnel vision. Assailant=angry+moving fast. Shooter=No more shots. 911 call by the survivor.

The Remington derringer in .41 Rimfire could never be considered "powerful" by anyone who understood anything about ballistics at all. :)
Denis

Believe me I do know about ballistics. "What is this trying to prove?" Guns = Dangerous potentially deadly. There is a poll on this sight regarding whether or not people should have background checks before being allowed to have guns. I did not vote because I'm a Brit. However I think everyone should be made to accept that guns are DANGEROUS AND POTENTIALLY DEADLY before they are allowed to have one.

Mike,
I love your writings, Etc.!
I'm a Derringer fan, fun shooting and could be pratical in today's calibers (especally .38 Spec).
VERY hard to hit with but with pratice, cardtable range isn't too hard to hit at.
IF, they'd had a better caliber back when, they might have a different reputation.
I shoot the heck outa my .38! Real fun gun with handloads. A buddy made up some Squibs with a 96gr bullet and low charge of powder. Real sweethearts! Regular .38's sorta kick but not bad. Terrible trigger, Ya gotta learn how to pull it right, then it's easy!
Agreed, not real pratical but better than nothing... I carry it while airgunning for feral Dogs and rattlers. Solids only! Even a close miss messes snakes up!
lots of fun to shoot! I have a .22RF and the .38Spl.
Always good for a comment from someone at the Club! The CAS guys use the .22 version at our club.
ZVP

Mik,
Yes, guns in general tend to be deadly.
The .41 Rimfire is NOT, however, a powerful caliber.

Hawg gave you the velocity & bullet weight, anything that small & that slow CAN kill, but I also gave you two examples of bounce-offs, one of which involved NOT killing.

It was & remains a very anemic round.

Not all guns that propel a projectile are either equal or equally "dangerous".
Your feelings on what people should be "made to accept" before they're allowed to possess a gun have no relevance to the discussion of the .41 Rimfire's ballistics through the Remington derringer. :)
Denis

Shooting Times Magazine, March 1967, Skeeter Skelton also wrote about that Remington .41 Rimfire derringer:

"Later I found that the .41 frequently failed to penetrate heavy tin cans."

And so on. :)
He rejected that derringer as a carry gun.
Denis

Paladin carried a "hand-made Hamilton", a specially-built Colt lookalike.
The derringer, while it appeared conventional too, fired specially-loaded hi-powered .41 Rimfire Magnum rounds supplied by a small firm in San Francisco catering to gentlemen with demanding personal requirements. :)
Denis

Denis,
I agree with every thing you posted my irrelevant remarks are down to a basic cultural difference. Where I come from all guns are scary, doesn't make me right, Guess some guns are just scarier than others.:eek::D

Mik,
I liked your culture when I lived in your country. :)
Carried a gun to work every day there (not my own), and even carried....uh, let's say I KNEW a guy who toted his own .22 Hi-Standard Derringer to London a time or two. :D

Not a fan of derringers in general, but that old Hi-Standard had better ballistics than the older Remington .41.
Denis

From my personal experience with the Remington Double Derringer and the .41 Short Derringer Rim fire, it would inflict a lethal wound at point blank range ( one foot ), but a 15 feet I do not think it would penetrate a heavy over coat. I have seen the bullets bounce off a old pine barn door at 15 to 20 feet leaving only a very small mark on the wood. The above is from personal experience, others may have more positive experiences.

Back