Mihec 452-200

Thanks Beagle, just curious, what COL is recommended for this particular bullet? These will be fired in a Colt 1911 and hopefully soon a Springfield XDm-45.

I seat them so that they will pass the plunk test in my barrel.

Once I get that set I make up a dummy round to set my seating depth later on since I load other bullets with different profiles.

With the alloy I posted in the other thread these expand really well between the 850 and 950fps range. I don't have any set load just yet as I haven't decided on which powder I want to use. For the most part I have just been testing them with some of the surplus Salut which is pretty close to Unique in burn rate.

OK thanks Mike, I'll figure it out.
Having fun playing with the new mold. These are my latest ones from this morning. I set the mold on my hotplate, turned it on and let it stay there for 20 minutes on medium. That was almost perfect. First ones out had just a teeny bit of a wrinkle barely visible. The next pour had no wrinkles...so I put the hammer down and ran off about 200. Gonna try the pentas next time. I carefully put an emory cloth on one of them, and it's not perfectly smooth, but better than before. Hopefully it will help in releasing as I understand some have a problem.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 452-200 gr.JPG
    452-200 gr.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 131
Swampman, what is your XDM slugging at? I just bought an XDM tactical and first thing I did when I got home was slugged it and found that my barrel was between .451 to .452. I was hoping to have a tighter barrel closer to .450 especially since its a match grade barrel. I'm hoping to call Springfield sometime and see what they say. By the way those are some really nice slugs.

After seeing these slugs I broke down and had to order one. Thanks a lot guys! :D

I had recently bought a 2C MP 452374 and decided that I wanted a shorter nose and something that will produce faster. I decided to sell the 374 since I have a 4 cav coming. Next time keep your pretty pictures to yourself :). I can't wait for it to get here.

Talk about these guys being enablers.

I know you can't be talking about me, I NEVER post up pics of the molds,:cool: just a few bullets now and again, here and there.:rolleyes:

Now Beagle, hahaha thats another story all together.....:D:D

CS86
Since I've ordered mine on 3/11 I'm hoping that I might see it next week.

You could get it tomorrow if you didn't get it today. I ordered mine on 3/10 and got it on 3/18. Only 8 days. Never can tell about customs though.

Swampman1
Took about 3 weeks for mine to come in. I may finally get the chance to try some pentas tomorrow.

I took a polishing wheel on my Dremel tool and polished my penta pins mirror smooth. I am going to try casting with them tomorrow.

I have a different MP mold for 9mm with penta pins I did not polish. I had to bang the mold handles quite a few times to get the bullets to release from the pins. With the polished pins on this mold, they sometimes fall off on their own and if they don't, then one tap on the mold handles was enough to make them drop. I am how ever getting a little flashing around the pins every once in a while. Going to try the round pins tomorrow. The penta pin bullets drop at 207.5 grains with the alloy I am using. Still getting a few micro wrinkles in my bullets. I started pouring with my pid set at 720 degrees and the last temp I set was 760 degrees. What temp are you guys running on this mold?

The mold temp is sometimes more important than the lead temp, especially with these brass molds. You have to really heat this thing up. My first ever pour with this mold, I set my hotplate on medium setting for 20 minutes and it was good. Second time around, it seemed I just couldn't get rid of the wrinkles completely. Decided to re-melt the ones I casted and started over. Set the mold on the hotplate on medium for 20 minutes, then cranked it up to high for another 10 minutes and they came out beautiful.
BTW the lead temp I keep around 725 deg.

Back