Methods to correct flinching

zukiphile said:
My name is zukiphile and I am a chronic flincher.....
zukiphile said:
...I never understood that surprise break explanation. If you pick up a firearm and press the trigger, how many times can the result be a surprise?....
Perhaps there's a relationship there.

In any case, the point of the surprise break is not that you're surprised because the gun fires. It's that you don't know exactly when, within some time interval, the gun will fire. And the group of instructors I teach with have found the concept to be very useful in teaching beginners.

I'm with a group of instructors putting on a monthly Basic Handgun class (originally it was an NRA Basic Handgun class -- our class hasn't changed but the NRA class has). We're older guys, most of us retired or close to it. We've all done a fair bit of shooting and training -- multiple classes at Gunsite, classes with a number of instructors, USPSA or IDPA competition, NRA instructor certifications, and three are POST certified. Our training group is organized as a 501(c)(3) corporation. We're all volunteers, and none of use receive any compensation (except the company buys us dinner after the class where we do a debriefing). Our class fees are set to just cover our expenses and operating costs. We supply everything -- guns, ammunition, eye and ear protection, a book on California gun laws, etc.

Probably 80% to 90% of our students had never touched a real gun before. Our class enrollment runs roughly 30% female. We have students of all ages from early 20s into to the 80s. We've had entire families attend together.

Most of our student show varying levels of anxiety at handling real guns. We try to address this by bringing them through the course material in a step-by-step, measured and supportive way. We limit class size to 10 students, and will have at least five or six instructors at each class. The class runs about ten hours, but we try to provide adequate breaks. Periodically we discuss breaking the class up into two days; but since we often have students travel from some distance doing so might be a greater hardship.

In addition to the core lectures, the first of which is on safety, we do a lot of "hands-on" work with the students. The students handle a variety of revolvers and semi-autos under direct supervision, one-on-one, of an instructor. They use dummy rounds to load and unload the guns, dry fire and generally learn how things work and feel, and they get continual safety reinforcement.

These initial hands-on exercises help students get familiar with handling a gun and lay a foundation for safe gun handling habits. For beginners handling guns for the first time is pretty awkward. Guns feel strange in the their hands. Many are surprised by how heavy they are. They have no sense of how much or how little force is needed to operate the various "do-dads." The students begin to realize that although guns can be dangerous they can learn how to handle them safely and that safety is in their hands.

In preparation for live fire we put on a lecture and demonstration about how to actually shoot (grip, stance, sight alignment, trigger press, surprise break, focus on the front sight, and eye dominance). I usually do this one, and I like to use an airsoft gun fitted with a Crimson Trace laser grip to illustrate a controlled trigger press compared with jerking the trigger. We then work one-on-one with students on grip and stance using "blue" inert training guns.

Before going to live fire with .22s, the students shoot airsoft (the quality type) in the classroom so they can get a feel for sight alignment and trigger control (and reset) without the noise and intimidation factor (for beginners) of firing real ammunition.

After the students fire their 25 rounds of .22 (working one-on-one with an instructor), we put out a variety of guns from 9mm to .44 Magnum so the students can get the experience of firing the larger calibers. Shooting the centerfire guns is at each student's option. Most fire them all, but some choose not to.

During the live fire exercises it's normal for a student to shoot 2 to 3 inch groups at seven yards with even the heavy calibers. A few months ago, a petite young woman who had never fired any type of gun before out shot everyone, including her husband, with the .44 Magnum -- putting three rounds into about an inch at 7 yards.

Going through our process most students shed a good deal of their initial anxiety. Some remain anxious to a degree but still manage to master their anxiety and perform well. In the last several years only one or two (out of perhaps a couple of hundred) could not complete the class.

And about trigger control:

1. The first principle of accurate shooting is trigger control: a smooth press straight back on the trigger with only the trigger finger moving. Maintain your focus on the front sight (or the reticle if using a scope) as you press the trigger, increasing pressure on the trigger until the shot breaks. Don't try to predict exactly when the gun will go off nor try to cause the shot to break at a particular moment. This is what Jeff Cooper called the "surprise break."

2. One wants to place his finger on the trigger in a manner that facilitates that. Usually, the best place for the finger to contact the trigger will be the middle of the portion of the finger between the first knuckle and the fingertip, and that part of the finger should be perpendicular to the direction in which the trigger moves.

• With some triggers, e. g., heavy double action triggers with a long travel, that placement might not provide enough leverage to work the trigger smoothly. In such cases, the trigger may be placed at the first joint.

• In either case, the trigger finger needs to be curved away from the gun sufficiently to allow it to press the trigger straight back without the trigger finger binding or applying lateral pressure to the gun. If one has to reach too far to get his finger properly on the trigger (or turn the gun to the point that the axis of the barrel is significantly misaligned with the forearm), the gun is too big. (For example, I have a short trigger reach and can't properly shoot some handguns, like N frame Smith & Wesson revolvers double action.)

3. By keeping focus on the front sight (or reticle) and increasing pressure on the trigger until the gun essentially shoots itself, you don’t anticipate the shot breaking. But if you try to make the shot break at that one instant in time when everything seem steady and aligned, you usually wind up jerking the trigger.

4. Of course the gun will wobble a bit on the target. It is just not possible to hold the gun absolutely steady. Because you are alive, there will always be a slight movement caused by all the tiny movement associated with being alive: your heart beating; tiny muscular movements necessary to maintain your balance, etc. Try not to worry about the wobble and don’t worry about trying to keep the sight aligned on a single point. Just let the front sight be somewhere in a small, imaginary box in the center of the target. .

5. In our teaching we avoid using the words "squeeze" or "pull" to describe the actuation of the trigger. We prefer to refer to "pressing" the trigger. The word "press" seems to better describe the process of smoothly pressing the trigger straight back, with only the trigger finger moving, to a surprise break.

6. You'll want to be able to perform the fundamentals reflexively, on demand without conscious thought. You do that by practicing them slowly to develop smoothness. Then smooth becomes fast.

• Again, remember that practice doesn't make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

• Practice also makes permanent. If you keep practicing doing something poorly, you will become an expert at doing it poorly.

7. Many people are uncomfortable with the idea of the gun firing "by surprise." They feel that when using the gun for practical applications, e. g., hunting or self defense, they need to be able to make the gun fire right now. But if you try to make the gun fire right now, you will almost certainly jerk the trigger thus jerking the gun off target and missing your shot. That's where the "compressed surprise break" comes in.

• As you practice (perfectly) and develop the facility to reflexively (without conscious thought) apply a smooth, continuously increasing pressure to the trigger the time interval between beginning to press and the shot breaking gets progressively shorter until it become indistinguishable from being instantaneous. In other words, that period of uncertainty during which the shot might break, but you don't know exactly when, becomes vanishingly short. And that is the compressed surprise break.

• Jeff Cooper explains the compressed surprise break in this video beginning at 36:04. This article by Jeff Campbell and this article by Jim Wilson might also be helpful.

• It may help to understand the way humans learn a physical skill.

• In learning a physical skill, we all go through a four step process:

• unconscious incompetence, we can't do something and we don't even know how to do it;

• conscious incompetence, we can't physically do something even though we know in our mind how to do it;

• conscious competence, we know how to do something but can only do it right if we concentrate on doing it properly; and

• unconscious competence, at this final stage we know how to do something and can do it reflexively (as second nature) on demand without having to think about it.

• To get to the third stage, you need to think through the physical task consciously in order to do it perfectly. You need to start slow; one must walk before he can run. The key here is going slow so that you can perform each repetition properly and smoothly. Don't try to be fast. Try to be smooth. Now here's the kicker: slow is smooth and smooth is fast. You are trying to program your body to perform each of the components of the task properly and efficiently. As the programing takes, you get smoother; and as you get smoother you get more efficient and more sure, and therefore, faster.

• I have in fact seen this over and over, both in the classes I've been in and with students that I've helped train. Start slow, consciously doing the physical act smoothly. You start to get smooth, and as you get smooth your pace will start to pick up. And about now, you will have reached the stage of conscious competence. You can do something properly and well as long as you think about it.

• To go from conscious competence to the final stage, unconscious competence, is usually thought to take around 5,000 good repetitions. The good news is that dry practice will count. The bad news is that poor repetitions don't count and can set you back. You need to work at this to get good.

• If one has reached the stage of unconscious competence as far as trigger control is concerned, he will be able to consistently execute a proper, controlled trigger press quickly and without conscious thought. Of course one needs to practice regularly and properly to maintain proficiency, but it's easier to maintain it once achieved than it was to first achieve it.

JohnKSa said:
...Concentrate on watching the front sight as it recoils and on trying to see the muzzle flash when the shot breaks. This gives the brain something to do other than to try to flinch away from the loud noise and movement in an effort to protect itself....

1stmar said:
....You need a distraction from the anticipation. If you can watch the sight through the shot you wont flinch. If you jerk the trigger when you think the sights are on target you may start to anticipate recoil and flinch. The sight will move around a bit. You wont be able to hold it perfectly still, accept that and keepp pulling the trigger and focusing on the sight...

Exactly.

Frank Ettin said:
Perhaps there's a relationship there.

Sometimes correlation reflects causation.

Frank Ettin said:
Before going to live fire with .22s, the students shoot airsoft ...

That's interesting. I don't teach shooting semi-professionally, but I never thought of that intermediate step. I go from explaining function and dry fire to shooting a 22lr. I have a target up for them to point toward, but I discourage concern for where the hits land because too many people think a big group is a sign of failure, when I just want them to experience and become used to the act of firing.

I suppose the other advantage of a shooting non-firearm (airsoft) would be the opportunity to communicate with them more easily and conduct that part somewhere other than a range.

Last edited:
zukiphile said:
....I suppose the other advantage of a shooting non-firearm (airsoft) would be the opportunity to communicate with them more easily and conduct that part somewhere other than a range.

There's that as well as being able to experience the mechanics of firing with the least distraction -- no recoil, noise, or muzzle blast. And since the airsoft guns we use are quite accurate at the distance we're using them at, we can begin diagnosis and correction.

zukiphile said:
...I discourage concern for where the hits land because too many people think a big group is a sign of failure, when I just want them to experience and become used to the act of firing....

We don't over emphasize where the hits are, but we do pay attention to groups and location of hits. We can identify and start to correct eye dominance issues or trigger control issues or sight alignment issues. So starting with the students' first shots on paper with airsoft and continuing through live fire, the students continue to improve.

Being able to show the students improvement we avoid discouraging them. It also helps give them confidence that they can achieve some level of proficiency with coaching and practice.

Frank Ettin nailed it all in one post. It's a little long but it covers all the valuable things you need to know. I think it comes down to habituation: if you do something right enough times, you'll always do it right. It's the reason dry fire is so important. You can practice it correctly without any incorrect repetitions. If you do it the right way 5,000 times, you can be pretty sure you'll do it right another one time.

Then, of course, reinforcing that in between live shooting sessions will only help.

One other thing I'd like to re-emphasize is the need to practice slowly and smoothy. Frank nailed this too but it's essential to practice slowly. If you can do it slow every time, you can do it fast. If you can't do it correctly slow, you'll never do it correctly fast.

Anyhoo, read Frank's post a few times. Everything he posted matters.

--Wag--

Back