Method for Developing a Load?

Immediately 5.56 and .223. I'll be going for accuracy for NRA High Power and also just better plinking ammo. After that .30/06 for Garand and I may get a K31 this week so that as well.
Regarding 30-06 fired cases from Garands, none of the military teams never got acceptable accuracy reloading them. None of the rifle's bolt faces were squared up so fired cases had out of square bolt faces. Fired cases had out of square case heads. That combination opened up test groups up another MOA

Regarding 30-06 fired cases from Garands, none of the military teams never got acceptable accuracy reloading them. None of the rifle's bolt faces were squared up so fired cases had out of square bolt faces. Fired cases had out of square case heads. That combination opened up test groups up another MOA
Bart B. I hope to some day remember a fraction of what you have forgotten. You really need to write a book, I would buy it.

The first thing I decide is what is it I want the load to do. Is a it a handgun plinking load that the kids are going to burn through punching paper? Bowling pin load? Different cats, those. Reduced practice load for the little kids' deer carbine? Or a new quest for a faster, flatter shooting tack driving Holy Grail deer slayer from my aging 270? Also totally different cats ..... currently, I am going to try working up a 308 WIN load that will work well in several different rifles, both bolt and AR, and will be suppressor friendly. ..... settled on Hornady 150 SP, and probably one of the 4198's (recommended by our own Uncle Nick!) .... going to have to full length size, due to several different guns to load for .... have a 100+ once fired cases, all of the same headstamp. Will start at the start load and shoot a string in each gun, through a chronograph, then do another string with a slightly larger charge ..... when i get a consistent load, I'll shoot it for a group. Going to have to work acceptably well in all guns, so going after a consistent load is the right path, i think.

First thing I do is pick a bullet, then go to the bullet manufactures manual and see what data they found.
I then pick a suitable powder that gets me where I want that bullet to be, and start testing weights, and BTO lengths.

Back