Metal Beads where Barrel Connects to Receiver

PESCAHOLIC, too bad you did not take pictures if the receiver before you started, I can not remember seeing a rifle with an uglier finish. I do not know if what I am looking at is caused by hot high pressure metal cutting gas, I would suggest you figure a way to turn the camera around to take a picture of the bolt face. If you are experiencing gas cutting it will show up on the bolt face.

F. Guffey

PESCAHOLIC, too bad you did not take pictures if the receiver before you started, I can not remember seeing a rifle with an uglier finish. I do not know if what I am looking at is caused by hot high pressure metal cutting gas, I would suggest you figure a way to turn the camera around to take a picture of the bolt face. If you are experiencing gas cutting it will show up on the bolt face.
Agreed--looks like a fragmentary cartridge went off inside the receiver! I'm starting to suspect an obstruction in the bore to cause that large amount of blowback into the receiver. If there was possibly that kind of trauma I'd say the whole dang receiver/bolt assembly is possibly toast and you can count your lucky stars they didn't explode on your daughter. I'd say at this point you absolutely need to talk to an actual engineer at Savage to cut through speculation and do the right, safe thing.

It's all good thanks to Jesse Smith at Best Shot in Peoria. Not only did he accommodate us, but he taught me a lot about this gun, shooting and guns in general...and he didn't gouge me either!

I shot 26 rounds today and it was VERY smooth! Seems that cleaning the burr in the chamber cured the ejection/hanging issue (and maybe some of the pressure issues as the cartridge was not seating well), and de-fouling certainly didn't hurt with the pressure issue. The spent cartridges and primers from today looked good and there was no difficulty on ejection whatsoever.

Also changed ammo to Barnes Vort-X 120's which the gun seems to really like. Very smooth and dead-on at 350 yards.

Hope to get a trigger in it on Tuesday so she can make some shots and get it dialed before her hunt starts on Friday.

As for the blasting media, as many here stated Jesse said it's not unheard of and it seems to have cleared, too.

Thank you again for all of the feedback and if you need a 'smith in the Phoenix area I highly recommend Jesse!

Rob

before you answer, I was starting to suspect a leftover brass case mouth left in the chamber....... I thought I was on to something

glad it works okay. have fun with your rifle and I hope she shoots it well.

F. Guffey - That photo of the chamber/receiver was taken after experiencing blown primers and lodged cartridges, but before any work was performed. The anomaly is still there, but the hone took the high spots down and all seems to be great now.

Almost 30 shots in now, all is smooth and I don't see the primer issues we were experiencing. I sent a photo of the primers and cartridges to Jesse and he said they looked good.

Back